How to measure your waist?

Options
Do you measure at the smallest part of your waist? I just watched a brief video that didn't help me. I also found some info that says your waist measurement should be half of your height, I found that interesting! So, at 5'3, my waist should be 26.5. Sounds about right to me! I think I have 3-4 inches to go, if I am measuring correctly!

Replies

• LadyC1984
    Options
    Hi

As far as i am aware you are ment to measure over your belly button

Hope this helps
  • racharla
    racharla Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Measure it at the level of your Umbilicus .. That would give you the exact abdominal girth :).
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, your waist measurement should always be taken at the naval. It's also important to make sure your tape measure is perfectly horizontal all the way around.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You are 5 foot 3 inches tall which equates to 63 inches so your waist should be 31.5 inches or less. These are heart healthy numbers.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Everyone's natural waist is different. You are supposed to measure the smallest part where your waist goes in.
    For some people that's in line with the belly button and for some its not.
    My waist comes in about an inch above where belly button is.
  • irisbride
    Options
    Hi there ,
    I was recently buying bridesmaids dresses and the lady in the shop told me to tie a ribbon under your rib cage and let it fall- this is your natural waist and is where the npmeasurement should be taken, If you measure at your navel then you are measuring your pelvis not your waist! Hope this helps
  • mpatternmaker
    mpatternmaker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your waist is measured at the smallest point between the chest & hips. For future reference your hips are the fullest point below your waist. Good luck!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You are 5 foot 3 inches tall which equates to 63 inches so your waist should be 31.5 inches or less. These are heart healthy numbers.

Oh, that doesn't sound right to me, sounds like large waist, especially for someone short. I guess it is not an exact science because everyone is built differently. I am already at 29-30, but still have weight to lose.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everyone's natural waist is different. You are supposed to measure the smallest part where your waist goes in.
    For some people that's in line with the belly button and for some its not.
    My waist comes in about an inch above where belly button is.

That's exactly where my natural waist is as well. I am 29" there and then at the belly button which is 1 inch under, I am 31.5. I have some work to do!