I feel like I'm never going to squat properly. *pics*

Options
I think I lean too far forward no matter what.And I have to stand so far apart.I tried squatting close together and I could barely even get 1/4 of the way down. How would I fix that?

2ltkgzp.jpg

6panfs.jpg

2w3c58m.jpg

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way you do. Bumping for replies.

FYI, change your IMG to lowercase to embed the pics! :smile:
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    get your heels up a bit (like half an inch, not stilletos :) )

even just put some regular running shoes on might help.
  • JSHamm
    JSHamm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    get your heels up a bit (like half an inch, not stilletos :) )

even just put some regular running shoes on might help.

Using some good shoes is definitely helpful but I would avoid using running shoes. They have extra cushioning that'll hamper your stability especially when pushing heavier weights. I've seen a lot of people recommend good ole' converse. hard sole, not a lot of cushion and fairly inexpensive.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/no_pain_squat.htm

My sister and I like to correct our forms using the advise given by Elliot Hulse [http://www.hulsestrength.com/] for one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-6W2B7vS28
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-DE1jtaRQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUOQoMpYvXk

Browse around his channel@strengthcamp and you should find other intructionals for other core strength training techniques you might need for future reference.

Happy Saturday!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Read 'starting strength' or even the free kindle extract on amazon.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Already some great advice, so bumping for later!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I think I lean too far forward no matter what.And I have to stand so far apart.I tried squatting close together and I could barely even get 1/4 of the way down. How would I fix that?

2ltkgzp.jpg

6panfs.jpg

2w3c58m.jpg

I wanted to see the pics. If you quote me, OP, you can see what I did to make the pics visible. Just IMG to img.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bumping for info, I have the same problem. Keep thinking I have weak ankles and that's the cause. Will try using the techniques in the posted videos.
  • SeptemberLondon
    Options
    It looks like your toes are too far out, away from your body. Try less of an angle and your knees are definitely far outside of your knee lines. You're hyperextending your knees and that's an injury waiting to happen. Straighten your back and imagine you're sitting. Practice in the bathroom!! Just stop right above the toilet.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Paging experts.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It looks like your toes are too far out, away from your body. Try less of an angle and your knees are definitely far outside of your knee lines. You're hyperextending your knees and that's an injury waiting to happen. Straighten your back and imagine you're sitting. Practice in the bathroom!! Just stop right above the toilet.

Agree with the toes and knees.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Your hip mobility needs work.

Google hip stretch exercises
  • SeptemberLondon
    Options
    Your hip mobility needs work.

Google hip stretch exercises
    Yes. Great advice.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    For hip mobility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

It looks scary and painful, but it will open things up in a way you can't imagine.

ETA: I take no credit for this link, it was passed on to me by another MFPer because I also have awful hip mobility.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    In for the hip mobility links because I need to get me some of that. And will offer these two suggestions from my experience with the same problem...
    1. Don't wreck your neutral spine position by looking up. That'll hurt your lower back when you do it under the bar.
    2. Engage your glutes and abs to stabilize your spine. Leaving them loose will force you to overcompensate with your hip flexors and lower back.

You already got good advice about the knees and toes.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I think I lean too far forward no matter what. I have to stand so far apart and tried squatting close together. Could barely even get 1/4 of the way down. How would I fix that?

2ltkgzp.jpg

6panfs.jpg

2w3c58m.jpg
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of resources out there to help teach a proper squat but the bottom line is that we are all different and what works for one may not be perfect for you. Some basic rules to consider when squatting.

Heals should be roughly shoulder width. Not your toes they will be turned out slightly maybe 30 degrees again what you find to be most comforting.

If squatting with a bar, the bar should travel in a straight line up and down over your mid foot. Your weight should be neither on your heal nor on your toes. A good pair of shoes such as Chuck Taylors are great for squatting. Some people prefer to place a small board under their heels for comfort and alignment. By small board think like a 1x4.

Your knees should be inline with your feet.

Your head should be facing forward neither looking down or up.

Now as your prepare to take that first dip think back to when your were in school and sat down in that little chair the first time. That is exactly what you want to do. The crease in your hips should slightly dip below the plane of your knees as you squat. Your shins should remain virtually vertical.

Start with just a bar and no weight while you perfect your form and don't be afraid to watch a lot of youtube.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

The article has alternative squats/exercises and tips you could do if you are having issues with your squat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    before i give advice there's one glaring fundamental thing that people seem to be overlooking : the OP is pretty much all leg!

As a shortwaisted/long leg squatter who's been squatting for over 20 years and some it involving competitions and all of it injury free, i can say that some of the advice given will absolutely not be useful to the OP on back squats. For instance keeping a vertical shin when you have a relatively long femur is virtually impossible on a back squat, the only time i've been able to get a somewhat vertical shin is with a front squat since there's a weight in front of me to help balance the amount i'd have to stick my butt out to get a more upright position.

OP if you're super concerned with keeping your chest more upright, you might want to try taking a less wide stance. but in doing so you're going to need more ankle/calf/hip flexibility to get post parallel. This might also be an issue if you're short waisted and squatting with a fluffier torso since belly and boobs can get in the way depending on how big you are and how deep your squats are .
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    before i give advice there's one glaring fundamental thing that people seem to be overlooking : the OP is pretty much all leg!

As a shortwaisted/long leg squatter who's been squatting for over 20 years and some it involving competitions and all of it injury free, i can say that some of the advice given will absolutely not be useful to the OP on back squats. For instance keeping a vertical shin when you have a relatively long femur is virtually impossible on a back squat, the only time i've been able to get a somewhat vertical shin is with a front squat since there's a weight in front of me to help balance the amount i'd have to stick my butt out to get a more upright position.

OP if you're super concerned with keeping your chest more upright, you might want to try taking a less wide stance. but in doing so you're going to need more ankle/calf/hip flexibility to get post parallel. This might also be an issue if you're short waisted and squatting with a fluffier torso since belly and boobs can get in the way depending on how big you are and how deep your squats are .

This is very true. I'm not a form expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I *am* someone with relatively long legs, and I will also say that a shoulder width stance will NEVER be an option for me, ATG also won't happen, I'd literally just have to fall back on my butt. I personally wouldn't be overly concerned with your chest coming forward the way it does. Pretty sure mine does basically the same thing, but working on the hip mobility should at least HELP with that issue.