How Do You Use and Plan Cheat Days?

Options
This might sound like a dumb question...but I am actually not sure how to go about this!

I have been pretty successful in the past at losing weight by watching calories...this time around I've added exercise into my weekly routine and it's helped even more. I'm finding it difficult to resist temptations and not eat at family functions and gatherings...something our family has often.

So to tackle this struggle I have resisting tempting foods I'm thinking I'd like to allow myself a cheat day once a week. I try to eat between 1300-1500 calories a day most days (more if I work out). Do you eat lower calories during the week and then allow yourself one high calorie day? Do you choose one day - like Sunday - and that is always your day or do you say to yourself, "one day in this seven day period is going to be my cheat day...but I can use it as I see fit..." so you would kind of cash in your food day depending on the events planned for that week?

Also, on your cheat day, do you have a calorie ceiling? Is 2800 or 3200 calories your limit? Or do you just eat whatever you want and don't sweat it? How have you successfully lost weight incorporating a free day and what worked or didn't work for you?

Replies

• splashtree2
    Options
    Yes first rule the cheat day allow only one meal like lunch or dinner then you have to fix a calories limit cause otherwise you throw all your effort !!! Ex. If you workout 4/5 days per week you can swallow also 2500-300 calories totally in the day but be sure to make cardio the day after to absorb this big shot !
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat regularly throughout the week and whenever I decide to have a cheat day I usually don't count calories. I basically pick the day at random. I don't limit myself. It didn't slow down my weight loss at all :) It was harder for me to stay consistent with what i ate and exercise because i always felt deprived and wanted to give up when i craved junk food, now that I have days to just not care its solved that problem for me. Good luck! <3
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days or meals, per se. However, there's been about 4 or 5 days over the last 3 months that I've eaten at maintenance. For me, that means 2000-2200 calories for the day, which for my food preferences, could mean a couple of lean meals and then one glorious, indulgent meal. Or it would be a day with regular meal choices with some fun snacky treats sprinkled throughout the day.

I don't find it necessary (or a good thing, for me, YMMV) to restrict calories (less calories than usual) to "make up" for it. I don't like the feeling of "punishing" myself for an indulgent day (those with prior/ongoing food relationship issues understand this). Others, however, do fine with being flexible with their numbers. Just something to consider, based on your needs, desires, and flexibility with your goals.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've learned through hard experience to listen to my body. For me, it's about every 4th day or so. It really depends on my exercise level and my calorie deficit. If you're exercising and eating at a deficit, keep an eye on yourself. Do you feel tired, run down, lethargic? If so, that's a great time for me to have a cheat meal.

After I hit that point and have a cheat meal, I feel truly energized and upbeat, and I sleep SO well that night. Seems like I'm depriving my body of what it needs, probably in terms of carbs since I'm on a high protein diet, and the cheat meal refills the tank (so to speak).

Ideallly, I'll learn how to cook well and find the right balance of nutritious foods which satisfy my body's needs and my palate. Till then, this seems to work well as long as I stay focused and don't go crazy and have a cheat day instead of a cheat meal. I've been consistently losing weight by sticking to 1-2 cheat meals a week, and diligently tracking calories.
  • credgeur
    credgeur Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a set cheat day once a week. I normally eat around 1300. On cheat day I have a high limit of 2000 and an ideal limit of 1800. I don't always take the cheat day. It's more for when I'm feeling really discouraged and want to give up. It makes it easier to keep going if I look at it like I only have to eat well for less than 6 days. (I just don't think about the fact that I'm doing it again.) It helps me to have a bunch of smaller goals instead of the one big goal.
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input - it really is helpful! I think I will allow a full cheat day once a week...but put a cap on the calories so I don't go overboard. I think that will help with feeling deprived and as if I'm missing out on fun with my family. I'd rather lose slower and enjoy life than eat perfect and lose quickly.