Fell off the wagon, ready to get back on!

Options
Hello MFP. I found myself, for the first time, really sticking to the plan here a year ago and went from about 172 to 154 in about a month and a half. I felt great, in control, and so confident. Then we began our cross-country move and I got distracted and stressed out and boom, back to 172. SO quickly it happens, right? Anyways, I've been focusing on eating 'cleaner' the last few weeks and am about 166. Ready to start calorie counting again. As much as I hate it, it freaking works!

So here's my basic stats/bio: I'm 24, 5'1(ish), 166 pounds with a goal of 125 pounds. Mostly flab currently.

Replies

• ambermia1218
    ambermia1218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same here! i was on MFB going hard. Lost 30 pounds. Now i am almost back where I started and I really wanna stick to it this time.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Let's do this, girl!!!
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon many times, and I keep trying. Doing really well this time around. I'm almost down to my current goal weight.

Feel free to send an invite if you need support. I've found that having friends on here is a great way to stay motivated.

Best of luck to you!
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    Thanks! Indeed-the community is a great tool. I tried the LoseIt app and found I missed the MFP forums, so here I am. I'll add you!
  • jdawgs0314
    Options
    Hello. feel free to add me. i too have fallen off the wagon many times and now am committed to this.
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    Will do! No matter how many times we fall off, the important thing is we keep trying!
  • Ilana503
    Options
    Same going on for me - lost 20 pounds on weight watchers a few years back and put it back on and last January I was down about 15-20 pounds from MFP as well, but put it back on after starting my freshman semester of college. Trying again and hoping it sticks this time!!! :)
  • cdomoe
    cdomoe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    im getting back on too. lost a bunch of weight early in the year and got too comfortable in just one bad day turned in to too many bad days and somehow 18 pounds appeared. Time to get serious again and hit my GW before new years. :)
  • schmoovey
    schmoovey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fell off the wagon, the horse, and a cliff!
    For some reason I keep getting back up and refuse to quit. I want those results I worked so hard for several years ago!
    Add me, please!
  • MsPrncss
    MsPrncss Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here I loss 20 and now went right back. I need to get 60 off by December I hope.
  • MsPrncss
    MsPrncss Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here and I am missing a very important party because I feel out of shape. Time to stick to it for good. Trying to start walking again. We should all support each other.
  • Chloverflower
    Chloverflower Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have also fallen off the wagon too! I got to comfortable with the way I am now, but I haven't forgotten my ultimate goal ^-^ we can all do this everybody !

( >^-^)> <3
  • griceyss
    Options
    I guess we are all in the same page. Fallen and getting back up. It will never be easy, but we will get stronger as we go. The first change it has to be done in our minds. I find having the capacity to push myself or having a serious commitment with this very hard and stressful, lack of motivation of some sort. However, the fact that i keep getting back up tells me that my mind is set in one thing I NEED THIS CHANGE. So, I am back into this and this time will be it.

I keep seeing success stories and I am committed to making my own. Lets do this! WE CAN!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    If you fell off of the wagon, you didn't make changes that were sustainable for life.

sooooo....

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

Too long? Didn't read?

Make the wagon easier to stay on
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The point is we got back up !
  • antoniodean
    Options
    When I was thirty years old I took up weightlifting and cycling. I didn't know if I wanted to be big or small and rely on cardio. I fell in love with the latter. Cycling has been a big part of my life for years. At one point I was at 210 pounds. I am 49 years old and at 168 and still feel too big for cycling as I have never improved my speed. Could be genes who knows. But I feel good after every work out and strong. I have been able to keep at that weigh for years.. Bottom line. Cardio is for those who want to feel that burn using food as fuel for the body. That is why you see skinny runners because they run off more calories than they feed their body while trying to balance reality. Do not believe the hype. You will never lose weight unless you starv yourself, which is very unhealthy. Any food you put in your body is going to give you weight whether it is fat, protein, carbs etc. You can gain weight eating salad for the rest of your life. The key is taking in less calories and burning of what you took in. I'm sorry but God made us to be active people. If we don't use this we are going to gain weight. The best way to lose weight which works for me is less calories and burning off what you took in.

This means you can eat what you want. Fat, Protein, Carbs, etc etc. Then there is nature. Some people are naturally born who they are and are as strong and healthy as the next person. I say this to say do not stress over weight. As far as certain body parts looking their upmost best This requires a commitment to that body part to make it look as good as you can get it. Which means excercise. Excercise burns calories, makes you feel good about you, give you confidence, strength, endurance, and you may even lose a pound or two or more. But hey listen to the experts. They would have you believe you can lose weight by simply sitting on your couch. Not true. And the bottom line is it is up to you to find a balance between the two. Eat less, work harder.

Peace

Antoniodean

and at the end of the day you will still look good
  • Momanjb
    Momanjb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in exactly one year 3 yrs ago and after marriage and another baby I've gained a good chunk of it back :( scared to death I might gain the whole 100 back :s. Just found this site/app and gonna give it a try. Looking for friends
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you fell off of the wagon, you didn't make changes that were sustainable for life.

sooooo....

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

Too long? Didn't read?

Make the wagon easier to stay on

This=win
  • EmmaR35
    EmmaR35 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also fell off the wagon and fell hard! Must admit I'm struggling to get back on, especially over the weekends.
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Same story! Just got a little tired this past month of not eating like "normal" people, though I'm still going strong with the activity. Could use some encouragement/accountability.