Water! Water! Water!

Options
I am not drinking enough water and I am hoping that admitting it on here will make me think more about it and drink more water. I am a teacher and constantly moving. I drink on average 2 glasses of water (at lunch and dinner). I sometimes don't drink anything else the rest of the day. I gave up soda 2 years ago. Its not that I don't like water because I do and during the summer I have no problem drinking enough water. I will have water on my desk and it goes untouched until lunch. I may need to treat this like one of my students behavior charts. Every 30 minutes I should take a drink of water? I am sitting her now with my first drink of water for the day. Maybe I should make it a game to see how much water I drink if I take a drink every 30 minutes?
DId anyone else have this problem? What did you do to increase your water intake?

Replies

• craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with water ( weird I know ) and when I gave up pop it was very hard at first...I find it is so much easier to drink water when it has ice in it and ice cold. Maybe that could help?
  • psydeedz
    Options
    I have a 1 liter bottle of water... so i make it a goal of mine to drink 2 of them a day!! that way i get my 8 glasses of water a day in.. i dont make it a competition.. but i make it a goal (that way i feel proud of myself when i accomplish it)
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    I agree with the ice thing. plus it will give you something to play with while you are drinking your water.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I love the title you made me remember to drink some water this morning. I can go all day without drinking water, then try to make up for it at night.
  • darvinasw
    Options
    I used to be like that then I realised the problem was that water was boring, you drank it and you know you need to drink it but its no fun to drink so I started adding crystal light to the drink a few times a day and now I am doing fine, I go over the 8 glasses a day everyday. It helped alot.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    the water really plays a big role in weight loss...when i I dont drink enough water, I dont lose weight......i try to drink at least 2 liters of water a day sometimes 3.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    I hate drinking water,.... unless it's coffee/tea flavored. :embarassed:

I don't drink enough either.... but I ice it and recenltly I read that adding a slice of lemon/lime, is great for your skin and works as a detox, so that is helping. I am drinking more than I used to, since I have been on here the last week or so. But normally I hate drinking water and pretty much have to make myself.

They do say that coffee and tea counts and I drink my coffee black/tea plain w/only a drizzle of honey, so I don't get that calorie blow out, from my liquids, but still....

I HATE IT! :indifferent:
  • maclovin
    maclovin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try drinking it at room temperature. I am drinking 3LTR a day right now. Get to the office, fill my 1.5LTR bottle, drink my coffee, wake up slowly, take 3 gulps of water and I am on my way!

J
  • ADawnRose
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me to go fill up my water container for the day :happy:

I do love water though, so it comes easy for me.
  • aislingofD
    aislingofD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, my main issue is remembering to keep water with me. If I have it near, I'll drink it while working on the computer to watching TV, but if it's not there, I'll just reach for whatever's close and whatever is easiest. Maybe put a bottle of water on your desk and make it a goal for it to need to be refilled at every bathroom break?
  • alisonnorth
    alisonnorth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    you could also try flavored sparkling spring water. i get it at Trader Joes- my favs are lime, raspberry-lime, and orange. sometimes i add a little fresh-squeezed orange juice to sweeten it. lemon would be good too. i drink a lot of water but sometimes i just need a little flavor... good luck!
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wasn't drinking enough water at first, and ended up setting the alarm on my phone to vibrate every 30 minutes, even if only to remind me to take a sip or two. I also add some lemon slices to the bottle that I use at work, and those seem to help.
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard to get started making sure I drink my water. But, after I get about 2 bottles down (I just refill one over & over at work) then I realize how much more awake and rejuvenated I feel!

Maybe try to get started drinking your water on your way to work...that always helps me get something down before I get busy with work, etc.

Good luck!
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am not drinking enough water and I am hoping that admitting it on here will make me think more about it and drink more water. I am a teacher and constantly moving. I drink on average 2 glasses of water (at lunch and dinner). I sometimes don't drink anything else the rest of the day. I gave up soda 2 years ago. Its not that I don't like water because I do and during the summer I have no problem drinking enough water. I will have water on my desk and it goes untouched until lunch. I may need to treat this like one of my students behavior charts. Every 30 minutes I should take a drink of water? I am sitting her now with my first drink of water for the day. Maybe I should make it a game to see how much water I drink if I take a drink every 30 minutes?
    DId anyone else have this problem? What did you do to increase your water intake?

I am in the same boat....I know I need to drink more but I am not doing that great at drinking my water. However I did talk to my doctor about it and she said you can count cups of tea as water too....so if you have a cup of tea add that to your water intake, I hope that helps!
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree cold water helps. I make it a goal to drink a whole bottle before I leave for work. I tried the crystal light, but I found pure water was more satisfying. I don't sip water though. The longer drinks I take the thirstier I realize I am, so I drink more. I also found if I follow a sip of coffee with a drink of water it helps.
  • three36love
    three36love Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also found if I follow a sip of coffee with a drink of water it helps.

This is what I do... I love my morning coffee so I will stand at the coffee maker and chug a cup of water before filling it with coffee. Then I bring a glass of ice water and my coffee back to my desk and drink both, alternating.
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am doing better today. I have finished 3 cups of water before lunch and I just filled my fourth glass. I don't drink coffee but I sometimes drink tea. I will try the crystal light and some of your suggestions as well. Thanks for the support!!
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I absolutely CANNOT drink ice cold water unless its after a workout. It has to be room temperature for me to drink it.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle (sports kind) with me everywhere. Helps me a ton - I NEVER drank water before and hated it - now I can usually get at least 40 oz a day.

Some people find the nozzle on a sports bottle easier to handle than a glass/cup (I do). Or try a straw - that helped me when I needed to drink more when I was pregnant.

Keep working on it!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's so funny that you posted this just now! I JUST TODAY got my first camelbak water bottle and am in LOVE!! I came on here to rave about it and saw your post :smile:

I downed 22oz in oh maybe 10 minutes EFFORTLESSLY! This is a water bottle that has a straw with a valve that opens only if you bite it. So you bite it gently and suck at the same time and voila - water, water, water...

It came in the mail around 1pm and by 4 I had 66oz down if not more. I highly recommend it or some other water bottle that you can fall in love with and easily get your water down. This is my 5th water bottle that I have tried and it is definitely a winner!