What is the deal with Green Tea?!

Options
I know it is suppose to be good for you, and supposedly help with weight loss, but what is the deal? Lately since it has been cold I have been drinking one hot glass of green tea in the morning, and one glass at night. Decaf keep in mind because I am not a big caffine fan. But since I have been drinking it I have been feeling hungrier! I've been sticking with my same calorie intake and doing Insanity, so not giving in to the hunger, but why is it doing this? I thought Green tea was suppose to make you less hungry. Am I wrong? I'm not drinking it for weight loss I drink it cause I know it is good for me, and I like the way it tastes. Just wanted to hear your opinions on it.

TIA

Replies

• CrystalLace
    CrystalLace Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've heard that green tea actually helps your metabolism and burns cals so I guess it does have the possibility to make you hungry.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Omg, I've never noticed that but will pay more attention. If you can get Yogi tea ( at whole foods or lots of reg groceries), I often mix my green tea (also decaf lol) with yogi tea's healthy Fasting tea
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Green tea will only help mildly with weight loss if you're drinking 4-6 cups of it per day that have steeped for an average of 5 minutes.

A glass or two of green tea doesn't have enough to make a big change on weight loss and your metabolism. I wouldn't say green tea is the reason for feeling hungrier. You may either be thirsty or not eating enough protein and fibre.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Also, with doing Insanity your body may want extra fuel as they are tough workouts... if you're hungry eat something small. It's ok to go over your calorie intake a bit... Also make sure you're measuring portions out right and double checking the nutrional information on the package of what you're eating. Far too many times I find that the NI that MFP gives me isn't the same as what is on the package of whatever it is that I'm eating... might be underestimating calories eaten?
  • tanandfit
    Options
    On the 17 day diet before every meal you are to drink a cup of green tea. It says "certain natural chemicals called catechins in green tea increase fat-burning and stimulate thermogenesis, the calorie burning process that occurs as a result of digesting and metabolizing food." I had really good results on the diet, I struggled with no carbs. So I am not sure if it was the combo of food or the green tea, but something was working.
  • aisha_91
    Options
    green tea rockets your metabolism. its actually a good thing, especially if it makes you poop a lot more than usual. keep it up, youre doing the right thing. as far as hunger goes, try to eat more food high in protein, i cant stress enough how important eating protein is. you wont feel hungry as much if you have those filling foods in your life
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    Thanks all. I don't drink it for weight loss, I drink it cause I like the way it tastes! Leela, I will try some of that tea next time I go to Trader Joes I will look for some. Mallory, thanks for the info. I already measure out my portions, and double check everything that I eat! I was just curious if and why the tea would make me more hungry! I already drink 8 plus glasses of water per day so I don't think it's from being thirsty. Aisha, I eat plenty of protien every day! I'm usually over on protien because I try to eat more since I am doing Insanity.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It makes me hungry too. I don't understand it. I drink it because I've heard that it's good for you and can help fight off cancer. But every time I drink it I get hungry, no matter what I've eaten or how much.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think "magical" properties of green tea are grossly exaggerated. There's no magic bullet out there yet. I like green tea......but I don't notice increased appetite, increased metabolism (I wish) or increased fat burning.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think "magical" properties of green tea are grossly exaggerated. There's no magic bullet out there yet. I like green tea......but I don't notice increased appetite, increased metabolism (I wish) or increased fat burning.

Well... there are a few "magic bullets" for weight loss but they're not exactly legal or healthy. :laugh:

onebiggums.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Well... there are a few "magic bullets" for weight loss but they're not exactly legal or healthy. :laugh:

onebiggums.jpg

Oh yeah.....I forgot......meth (is one) :noway:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss and metabolism go, I can't imagine green tea making any detectable difference. Might be good for some antioxidants, though.
  • rebekahstrachan3
    rebekahstrachan3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    green tea is good but oolong tea is better for boosting the metabolism and aiding in weight loss. oolong tea is about 3 times more effective or so I've read and it has been working for me :)