Question for the ladies....

Options
Do you find it difficult to exercise/eat healthy around that time of the month? I also find I retain a lot of water and hate it. Is there anything you do to push through?

I only want to stuff my face with sweet foods and be a couch potato (usually a week before) and then some days following, I feel to uncomfortable to exercise. This usually breaks my routine!!

How do you deal with it?

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It may not feel like it at the time. But one of the best things you can do during TOM is exercise. It doesn't have to be strenuous but you might find it actually helps. As for the eating? Yeah that one I can't answer sorry! I'm the same on that score.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's my TOM now and I ate a candy bar after closing out my diary yesterday. And already had one today. I give in to little indulgences so I don't end up binging. I try to keep under my calorie goal and eating healthy main meals so my snacks can be the chocolate bar etc.

As far as exercising I don't let it rule me, was I uncomfortable this morning with cramps YES, but I still made it to my Zumba class this morning. Did I get anything else done no I've laid on the couch now I'm gonna get my piyo in. If it's really bad like I can't move then that will be my rest day.

I don't weigh myself anymore before during or right after TOM. I'm trying to weigh once a month about a week after I'm done.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning, I get up, take my Advil and get it done. For me I think it helps with all the other stuff and I only have food cravings right before and no appetite during that TOM - not sure if it's connected.

I don't see anything wrong with taking time off from working out if that works better for you, but them you would really need to watch the munching!
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Usually the week before and the week of "it" I bloat. I gave up getting down about not seeing the scale go down for those couple weeks. I crave chocolate and sweets....milk oddly enough. I set aside calories to eat those yummy treats. I say if you know it's just those weeks than just hold your breath through it. Don't take the scale so seriously.

p.s. I exercise no matter what !
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My period makes me moody and prone to eat crap unless I restrain myself well. Exercise makes me feel better about it, so at the latest on the second day do I do something, at least walk if nothing more. It is part of life and I refuse to let it control me.
  • jayla137666
    jayla137666 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you find it difficult to exercise/eat healthy around that time of the month? I also find I retain a lot of water and hate it. Is there anything you do to push through?

I only want to stuff my face with sweet foods and be a couch potato (usually a week before) and then some days following, I feel to uncomfortable to exercise. This usually breaks my routine!!

How do you deal with it?

There are a lot of chocolate flavored low-cal foods that are a good alternative? Maybe eating 4 pieces of frozen dove chocolate instead of a tub of ice cream would be the way to go. Maybe the days you don't want to exercise, you could do something super fun and easy instead... like go bowling or something.
  • Sandiki2Point0
    Sandiki2Point0 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not really. Just another day...
  • NZnative_Girl
    NZnative_Girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys? Yes I've given up on weighing myself too. When do you think is the best time to weigh? Like a week after TOM? I get really tired and have a lack of energy as well.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. It is good for me to see the number and realise that the up may be due to the hormonal cycle. This of course means that I do keep my dates in mind. If I weighed in only once weekly and it happened to be a day of bloating, I'd be miserable for no good reason at all.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It may not feel like it at the time. But one of the best things you can do during TOM is exercise. It doesn't have to be strenuous but you might find it actually helps. As for the eating? Yeah that one I can't answer sorry! I'm the same on that score.

This. So much.

I get BAD cramps (sometimes they would leave me bedridden during high school, it's a known issue that I've actually seen doctors about), and although I do not exercise the first day (when the cramps are the worst), I exercise throughout the rest of the week (usually about 3 days) and find it actually helps with the cramps. Nothing has ever helped that first day (not midol, not birth control, not exercise, not bubble baths) but exercise throughout it helps prevent them from hitting me hard on the last day. I used to get the really painful ones on the first and last day.

Diet, I don't know. I struggle with it, too. I have a friend who craves eggs during hers. Sometimes, I wish I did. At least then I'd be getting a lot of protein and stuff. Instead, all I want to do is eat all the chocolates and peanut butter.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My TOM hasn't been quite so bad since I upped my daily water intake.
    Keeps me from some of the water bloat and the "not enough cards in the world" cravings.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

How do you deal with it?

I can stay within my calories, but I will fit in any goodies I'm craving. I don't exercise or do much around my TOM. Honestly, the idea seems akin to the idea of being active when suffering from diarrhea. The last thing I want to do is be running and bouncing around.
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    YES!!! mine are really heavy so working out and moving in general is really uncomfortable. I will usually do easy exercises and walking on those days. I usually feel really drained of energy, so any movement is forced.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is different for everyone.....but for me.....I have quite a bit of extra, extra strong coffee through out the day, and I add sweetener (stevia drops with toffee fragrance) and a tablespoon of heavy cream. I have it hot in the morning and on ice during the day. I find it works like a diuretic for me, and the cream and stevia fight the sweet cravings. Also helps with energy levels. I tend to have the binge cravings post TOM week...especially for chocolate.....so I add chocolate extract to my coffee.

I sure hope that this helps some. :flowerforyou:
  • Mikameii
    Mikameii Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you! I find it so hard to stay motivated on workouts, I'm extra fatigued, and I want to eat anything and everything.
    But I do find that if I do exercise the bloating isn't as bad, and the cramps later on aren't as bad either.
  • softmountains
    Options
    Every woman bloats and gains a bit of weight before their happy days and as soon as it is over you will weight your lowest, the best idea of tracking your real weight loss is to weight before and after for couple of months and then you'll know how much weight you gain before your period so you will know how you're actually doing based on your diet and not bloating just because your body hates you. as for food cravings i guess you can beat those with your will power xD good luck
  • NZnative_Girl
    Options
    YES!!! mine are really heavy so working out and moving in general is really uncomfortable. I will usually do easy exercises and walking on those days. I usually feel really drained of energy, so any movement is forced.

Oh yes! I know how this feels.
  • NZnative_Girl
    Options
    Thanks ladies, appreciate this :-)
  • NZnative_Girl
    Options

How do you deal with it?

I can stay within my calories, but I will fit in any goodies I'm craving. I don't exercise or do much around my TOM. Honestly, the idea seems akin to the idea of being active when suffering from diarrhea. The last thing I want to do is be running and bouncing around.

Totally, I get this too. I also have really bad cramps that wake me up in the middle of the night about a week prior to getting TOM. When I'm working out, everything seems to flow heavier too. So uncomfortable argh.
  • NZnative_Girl
    Options
    But.... Exercise reduces cramps for me.