40 visits to chiropractor

Options
hoecradle
hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
Having neck a shoulder pain. It comes an goes. Getting worse as the year go by. Had an impact injury about 17 years ago. The pain usually comes during stressful times. The cervical spine shows degeneration on the X-rays. Chiropractor wants me to do 40 visits of therapy and adjustments pre paid. I'm feeling overwhelmed by that request.

I need some therapy exercises that I can do on my own. Maybe some supplement advice as well. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has their opinion on this, but I would never let a chiropractor touch me. I have a herniated disk that flares up from tie to time but I have real doctors look after. I know several people who have been scammed by chiropractors into thinking they needed long-term "adjustments" for various conditions. I think the only thing that got conditioned was the leather on their wallets from all that opening and closing.
  • hoecradle
    Options
    Well I have had some positive experiences over the years with chiropractors. I have never seen this prepay type pitch before in the ones I have used in the past.

I refuse to take on any type of scripted pain medication. And I do not want to take a shot.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'd get a second opinion from a chiropractor or orthopedist. don't tell them what the first chiropractor said - first get their opinion. i don't care to take pain meds or shots - i haven't in decades - but degeneration may be an issue for you in later life, so it's important to find out if it's really happening, as it could cause fractures or disability in the future.

i used to be married to an honest chiropractor who really knew his stuff, and he never would have tried to set up 40 visits in advance, much less take advance payment. neither would the chiropractor i went to after an accident. get that second opinion from someone decent.
  • Andrewswife2011
    Andrewswife2011 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been going to my chiropractor for over 20 years (but only when needed) and he literally saved my neck. I had seen a neurologist who told me I had a brain tumor at 18 and was giving me pain meds like they were tic tacs. Long story short I went to my chiro and have been perfect ever since. And he does not make me pre pay. He doesn't even want to see me unless I need an adjustment. I would definitely look for another chiro as this one doesn't sound good to me
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    40 visits? I'm surprised they don't think themselves good enough to fix you before then.

I'd get another opinion, another chiropractor if need be., but I'd also look into Alexander Technique, it helped me through neck and shoulder pain no end, even though I never did understand it.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    40 visits sounds like you need a new chiro. 40 visits will not hurt you (might help) but if you're not comfortable with making that commitment (I wouldn't be either) find someone new who will help you and not take advantage.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I suffered a lifetime of migraines and a 10 year headache (apart from migraine pain) that had me taking advil like it was candy, blurry vision without a cause, plus depression, anxiety and taking antidepressants to go along with it, antacids due to constant heartburn.... threw my back out, saw a wellness chiropractor, and after 1 adjustment, the 10 year headache was gone and I could see clearly. One month later, off antidepressants (after consulting my therapist), no more antacids because heartburn was gone, six months later and not another migraine. Oh, and my back pain went away too... This was four years ago. I still see my chiro every 2 weeks for maintenance care, but that's my choice to do so. For me, it's better than the alternative. But I know that's a controversial decision.

OP, if 40 adjustments from this chiropractor doesn't seem right to you, get another opinion. Maybe you need a physiotherapist instead. Or an osteopath. Just fine the practitioner with whom you feel most comfortable treating you. That is what is most important. I'll be honest, my chiropractor first gave me two options: 1) 3 months of adjustments for "relief" care (for the back pain) and 2) 3 months of relief care + corrective care + wellness care. This second "package" lasted an entire year listed something like 72 adjustments. I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw that number, but I had full benefits at the time and it covered the entire cost. Otherwise, I probably would have been out the door. BUT, he gave me the option. He also gave me the option of various payment plans with a discount for prepayment (I think I prepaid monthly in the end). Anything not used, and I was guaranteed my money back. And anything above the 72 (yes, insane number...) adjustments, and those were complimentary. Turns out, I had more than 72 adjustments during that first year.

Do what feels right to you. You sound skeptical of this chiropractor - seek another opinion until you feel comfortable.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A 40-visit long pre-payment plan sounds questionable from the outset. You need to check on rules in your area like whether he can charge you additional for cutting the plan short.

The American Chiropractic Association condemned pre-pay plans like this in 2012. You might want to look at these web sites, some actually aimed at chiropractors:

(particularly note #7 here):http://www.andersenchiro.com/How to choose.htm

http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/28732

http://www.chirosecure.com/page/z-Article6

http://chiropracticsocietywi.org/use-of-pre-paid-care-plans/

http://chirotalk.proboards.com/thread/405

https://clinicdr.com/blog/chiropractic-and-pre-payment-plans/
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    40 visits does sound like a lot for an old injury, and pre-paid. But, nobody here is advising as a doctor, knowing anything about your case other than what little you said, get another opinion from another one, or two.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    40 visits plus prepayment?? Sounds like a con to me.

Get a second or third opinion from other allied health professionals...oestopath, physio or even another chiropractor is so inclined.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Go see a real doctor and avoid chiropractors for anything but the occasional adjustment and massage.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    my personal opinion: I have 5 ruptures discs in my spine I went to a chiro because they offered free xrays and first visit free. He told me I needed at minimum 50 visits to make me pain free (news flash you don't get pain free with ruptures discs FYI was my first warning sign) and it would cost 1500 dollars but if I prepaid he'd only charge me 960.
    Well he did the first adjustment for free since I had never done this before and the amount of pain he put me in was unbareable! I was almost throwing up for days. I hadn't been in that much pain since my discs originally ruptured.
    All my original doctors told me not to go to a chrio and now I wish I wouldn't have!
    I know a lot of people put faith in these people but I think it's a bunch of crap. If you have spinal pain take 300 bucks and buy an inversion table. Much safer, cheaper in the long run and gives nearly immediate pain relief.

EDIT: might be worth stateing that I originally injured my back nearly 7 years ago and this chrio thing was like 2 months ago. So this isn't a super new injury.

I'm not paid to say this but I googled it and this is one of the best rated tables online and its only 200 bucks (costco sells them in house sometimes for like 300 if you have a membership there)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ironman-Gravity-4000-Inversion-Table/8477604
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Skip the chiro and find a good physiotherapist.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has their opinion on this, but I would never let a chiropractor touch me. I have a herniated disk that flares up from tie to time but I have real doctors look after. I know several people who have been scammed by chiropractors into thinking they needed long-term "adjustments" for various conditions. I think the only thing that got conditioned was the leather on their wallets from all that opening and closing.

Yep
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Skip the chiro and find a good physiotherapist.

And this.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Before you commit which I would never do, go see a sports injury dr. Or physiotherapist. Get their opinion. I have had a distrust for chiropractors stemming from an incident years ago. Tread carefully.
  • hoecradle
    Options
    I like the treatment I get and all from the chiropractor but the sales pitch is bothering me a bit. What's wrong with twice a month adjustments instead of 3-4 times a week?

Yes I am seeing a real doctor and going through the X-Ray, MRI etc like I have many times before. But that process takes time before you get any relief and they have the idea that pills will help make it better.

I just want to try and recoup on my own with exercise and supplementation if possible. Also go to chiropractor on my own terms without all the contract BS.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I would start with my primary care physician, hear what they say and recommend. It could be arthritis or bone spurs kicked off by the previous damage. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but those kind of things do not disappear with chiropractic care. And my primary care physician does not start with "pills".

Oh wait, I just read your last post. So conventional analysis is NG and you just want to do it on your own? Not consult with people with decades of learning and experience?

It's your money. Do what you want.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion. There are some great chiros and then there are some that just want your money. I am lucky, I have a great chiro, I just go in when I am in pain. When I first started I went a couple times a week, now I only need to go once every two or three months. I really don't think it should take 40 visits to get things lined back up. I would search for a different chiropractor.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion, that's a huge commitment.