Can I burn calories weight lifting?

Options
I want to jump in the garage and lift some weights, but i need extra calories to eat today. Will the weight lifting do anything for me? I usually bust a huge sweat, stay out for 45 minutes. Am i wasting my time if I am looking for extra calories?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes to all...

yes you burn calories weight lifting as you are constantly burning calories by virtue of being alive....

yes weight lifting will "do" something for you. if you do it well in terms of progressively overloading the muscle you will get stronger, preserve muscle while you continue to to lose weight and you might even build a few pounds of muscle with your newbie gain

yes you are wasting your time if you are using it as a means to gain extra calories to eat.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I still did it, but I ran in place for a minute between sets. Not going to count it, but at least the sore *kitten* tells me it "counts". :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I still did it, but I ran in place for a minute between sets. Not going to count it, but at least the sore *kitten* tells me it "counts". :)

great job!!