Questions about Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hello!

I've been spending way too much time this summer researching available heart rate monitors and yet still have not found some important information. It finally occurred to me (as it should've a month ago) that MFP would be an ideal place to ask these questions.

(1) Are there any HR monitoring chest strap + watch combos that allow you to upload exercise data directly to your computer (i.e., not just export data from the manufacturer's fitness website)? Better yet, do any of the manufacturers tend to provide this feature more than the others? I believe I read that some older Timex and Garmin models provided this feature, but again it's been difficult to find reliable, unambiguous information about this.

(2) Speaking of manufacturers' websites (those of Polar, Garmin, Timex, Suunto, etc.), can anyone provide (or link to) a thorough feature comparison? Ideally I would love one with fairly robust statistics about the uploaded data (along with pretty graphs/data visualization) and an intuitive interface.

(3) If there aren't good monitors out there that I can sync directly to my PC, which of the manufacturers provides the best data export feature? Here I take "best" to mean most comprehensive (in terms of total amount/types of collected data one can export) and convenient (consistent, logical formatting that I can convert into a human-readable spreadsheet). Also, do any of them allow you to download the raw data recorded by the monitor?

(4) Assuming the answer to (3) is "all of the manufacturers are evil and give you just enough data in their export features to avoid a user base armed with pitchforks", are there any easy ways (for any particular make/model of monitor) to save the raw data to your PC while its being uploaded to the manufacturer's website? Presumably this would be through unsupported third party software.

(5) Do any of the manufacturers allow you to delete all of the data you upload to their websites, in the event you decide to stop using their product? Do any have privacy policies that ensure they won't sell your data to third parties in the future?

To anyone who can answer one of these questions in whole or in part: Thank you so much!!! While I've found great reviews of some watches/straps, it's rare that they ever discuss data uploading features in any detail.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm not aware of any HRM that hit all these, however there's an option. if you really want a watch with your chest strap (and i did), you can buy a polar H7 AND one of their lower priced watch and belt sets, and use the watch with the H7. i just started doing that with an FT1 and the H7.

then instead of using the manufacturer website or app, use your smart phone with an app like map my fitness (i use that one). lots of stats AND you can let some apps then add calorie burn and time to my fitness pal. there are actually lots of fitness apps you could check out that work with a HRM, and a number also work with my fitness pal.

some manufacturers probably let you create accounts and use their apps without owning their HRM, so you could get a good idea of what they have to offer before deciding on a HRM. also i believe with polar HRMs if you buy the the polar flowlink you can upload everything.

most sites have a way to opt out of emails - i have a polar account and only received like 2 emails in over a month. as far as deleting your account, you'd have to email each manufacturer and ask.
  • jalapenopoppers
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reply, itsbasschick! I like the idea of having a smartphone do the data logging for me. I actually switched to a dumb phone last summer and am now (not just due to this) somewhat begrudgingly thinking I should get a new one.

Actually, your response made me think of another similar solution that I think I'm going to go for: a Nexus 5 (or similar affordable device) paired with the H7 and a Pebble smartwatch. I've found a couple how-tos online detailing how to have the Pebble display current heart rate information (although I should look into having it display HR zone info...) while logging data via an Android app. I think this will be in my budget and give me a watch I can use for day-to-day purposes other than monitoring.

Thanks again for your help!
  • larosa217
    larosa217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using a Nexus 5, Polar H7, and Pebble Steel to track my workouts. I'm using the Endomondo app on my phone (and a 3rd party Pebble app to show data on my watch). It's a really nice setup and is working quite well for me.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Soft Strap Premium Heart Rate Monitor. It syncs to my Note 3 through Ant+ and that syncs to the Garmin connect site. You can export that info to csv.

I got the Garmin because I wanted to get it to sync to my Fitbit account, which happens through a third party plugin through Fitbit.
  • hoffmanchristina
    hoffmanchristina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a polar loop with a chest strap HRM and I love it. It can sync on your computer but to the manufactures website which I find very detailed. Also, there is an app for ipad/iPhone and I believe android. I don't think there is a way to export data. And there privacy setting so you decide who has access to your info. There are a bunch of reviews on youtube regarding the polar loop. And what I love the most is that it's one of the few wristbands that actually have a display instead of blinking lights. It's completely waterproof and can be worn while swimming.

The downside is that I'm always checking the display and draining the battery. I have to charge mine every night for an hour. Also, the band must be cut to fit your wrist. Be very careful you don't cut too much off. I cut 1 segment at a time and tested it as I prefer it looser than what they recommend for my tiny wrist. I was careful and took my time and I couldn't be happier.