Is Starvation mode overrated?

Options
I'm wondering if there is a lot of hype surrounding starvation mode. Many people say that if you do too much cardio, you will just get fatter and fatter. While I think it makes sense that losing muscle is possible if you do it in excess, are you really getting fatter and fatter by creating a large caloric deficit? I'm not saying doing things too fast is good. But if all if that is true, then why is this...

When people were put in concentration camps to starve to death, why didn't they just get fatter and fatter? Sure, they may have lost some muscle, but studies showed that they lost most of their fat.

Also, if creating such a large caloric deficit causes you to get fatter and fatter, why do contestants on the Biggest Loser lose so much weight after training hours upon hours a day and going on a diet? Wouldn't they just get fatter if long cardio made you fatter or if dropping your calories substantially made you fatter?

I'm not saying that overdoing anything is good, but I question the people at the gym that always say that doing your cardio is going to make you fatter and more efficient and that weight lifting is the only way to burn fat. Whenever I hop on my bike or go for a hike, I don't feel like I'm doing the ''wrong'' thing. I have always had a lot of muscle naturally and though I lift, I am not trying to have as much as I possibly could. So I guess that's why I don't worry about ''losing'' muscle or getting ''fatter'' when I go for a long ride. It just never happened!

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    hit a wall because of starvation mode. So frustration for months and months!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode as to the common dieter is a myth. It does not make you fatter and fatter. People who are of normal weight or overweight don't get it--ever. It does not start with a set number of calories (people seem to think 1200 or fewer is that set amount) and doing too much cardio does not trigger it.

In order to be in starvation mode you need to have lost a certain amount of body fat and muscle, and you are pretty much emaciated.

Weight is lost with a calorie deficit, and some people choose to add in exercise as well. However, even with exercise, if you eat too much you will not lose weight, you will either gain or maintain based on how many calories you are eating.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    hit a wall because of starvation mode. So frustration for months and months!
    Surely you don't believe you are in starvation mode? You look great, and you also look healthy.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode as to the common dieter is a myth. It does not make you fatter and fatter. People who are of normal weight or overweight don't get it--ever. It does not start with a set number of calories (people seem to think 1200 or fewer is that set amount) and doing too much cardio does not trigger it.

In order to be in starvation mode you need to have lost a certain amount of body fat and muscle, and you are pretty much emaciated.

Weight is lost with a calorie deficit, and some people choose to add in exercise as well. However, even with exercise, if you eat too much you will not lose weight, you will either gain or maintain based on how many calories you are eating.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. This.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Many people say that if you do too much cardio, you will just get fatter and fatter.

Absolutely. That's why the best bodies typically belong to zero-cardio couch potatoes.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Many people say that if you do too much cardio, you will just get fatter and fatter.

Absolutely. That's why the best bodies typically belong to zero-cardio couch potatoes.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was reading some information about it last night because I was confused. Apparently your body MIGHT go into it if you are only eating 800 calories for 2-3 days+.

I didn't find any articles on higher amounts like 1200, I used to eat like 1000 and lost weight for example. Really, it's a bunch of bunk science and if you think you're in starvation mode, you're just in a weight loss slump. :/ I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I hear it's all the buzz these days.

I purposely go into it. It's easy I just don't eat breakfast then by dinner, bam I'm in starvation mode and I don't even need to eat for 3 weeks because my body keeps all the fat! It's the best!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I was reading some information about it last night because I was confused. Apparently your body MIGHT go into it if you are only eating 800 calories for 2-3 days+.

I didn't find any articles on higher amounts like 1200, I used to eat like 1000 and lost weight for example. Really, it's a bunch of bunk science and if you think you're in starvation mode, you're just in a weight loss slump. :/ I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You might go I to "starvation mode" if you under ate by very large deficits over very long period of time, eg people in POW camps or people with anorexia nervosa.

Although I do NOT recommend eating only 800 calories, doing so for 2-3 days will certainly not put you in "starvation mode"

Many people would occasionally eat 800 calories for 2-3 days - either planned because they utilise some variation of short term fasting or unplanned because they are temporarily ill with flu or gastric bug etc.
    After the 2-3 days is up,they carry on with their usual amount and Nothing has changed.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL. !!
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options

Bahahahahaha

This +1
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Nope.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I hear it's all the buzz these days.

I purposely go into it. It's easy I just don't eat breakfast then by dinner, bam I'm in starvation mode and I don't even need to eat for 3 weeks because my body keeps all the fat! It's the best!
    :bigsmile:
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Overrated? i don't think thats the correct term more like overused. If you ate at a huge deficit for and extended period of time 6 months plus got to a certain bf% then maybe you might be in starvation mode, but for 99.99 of dieting shouldn't even come into there thoughts.
  • andreakurylo
    andreakurylo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Please read this article. I'm so sick of people talking about this "Starvation Mode" thing and how you need to increase calories to lose weight...it's all complete b/s!!! U need protein to burn fat, and lean proteins make u feel A LOT fuller than carbs. So limiting carbs isn't necessarily a bad thing if you aren't feeling "full." I've been eating under 1200 calories everyday, but I also exercise 5-7 days/week. 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of different weight training techniques. You would be surprised at how full you can get by increasing your protein intake to about 30-35% of your daily intake of calories. PROTEIN burns fat and builds muscle, and is a healthy and essential way to lose weight and feel full. I'm usually under 50 carb/day...not per meal...per day! Chicken and Ground Turkey have NO CARBS and make u feel full for a longer amount of time than just eating veggies and fruits. I eat a ton of fruits, make smoothies out of strawberries, bananas and blueberries (blueberries have enormous amounts of antioxidants and aid in weight loss) with a little Organic Strawberry Banana juice. I cut up all my fruits as soon as I buy them and freeze them, so when I'm actually drinking a smoothie, it's 100% fruits and antioxidants...not watered down with ice. That's usually my way of snacking and what I give my 4 year old son instead of ice cream. I LOVE TACOS!!! So I've found some pretty amazing whole grain carb smart wraps...one only has 11 carbs/wrap and one is 14 carbs/wrap and the one that's 14 carbs is only 50 calories too!!! So I'm getting whole grains, which help control insulin levels, ground turkey is the meat that I use...and it has no carbs at all and just a little serving or 2 of cheese. It doesn't matter if the cheese is 100-110 calories/serving because this meal is way under 500 calories!!! And what's more is that it's super filling!!! A mistake that people often make when it comes to tacos, is buying pre-packaged seasoning, and unfortunately, a mistake that I've made most of my life! I LOVE Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning...love it. And when my son's father was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease 3 years ago, I started using the one labled "25% less sodium." With Meniere's Disease, you have to cut your sodium intake immensely and this helped. However, from a diet stand point it breaks down to this: 1 package is 6 servings (and u use that whole thing in 1lb of ground meat) 15 calories per serving, 270mg of sodium, and 3 carbs. Doesn't sound like much right? Until you multiply those numbers by 6!!! So I opt'd to make the seasoning myself (which is waaayyy better tasting and healthier!) using chili powder, red pepper, garlic powder (not garlic salt!) and onion powder. You can put in as little or as much as you'd like for flavor and there's no added calories, sodium or carbs! Top w/some organic salsa or even some bottled taco sauce (but watch how much u use of the bottled stuff cause it does contain carbs, but being that this is an extremely low carb containing meal, 2 servings is no big deal) I also chop up tomatos and dice green chilies and add them to the meat for even more flavor and nutrients!!! The only thing I look for with cheese is the reduced fat kind. And here's a direct quote of why u need some fat....

"Triglycerides, cholesterol and other essential fatty acids—the scientific term for fats the body can't make on its own—store energy, insulate us and protect our vital organs. They act as messengers, helping proteins do their jobs. They also start chemical reactions that help control growth, immune function, reproduction and other aspects of basic metabolism.
    The cycle of making, breaking, storing and mobilizing fats is at the core of how humans and all animals regulate their energy. An imbalance in any step can result in disease, including heart disease and diabetes. For instance, having too many triglycerides in our bloodstream raises our risk of clogged arteries, which can lead to heart attack and stroke.
    Fats help the body stockpile certain nutrients as well. The so-called "fat-soluble" vitamins—A, D, E and K—are stored in the liver and in fatty tissues.
    Knowing that fats play such an important role in many basic functions in the body, researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health study them in humans and other organisms to learn more about normal and abnormal biology.
    Despite fat's importance, no one yet understands exactly how humans store it and call it into action. In search of insight, Oklahoma State University biochemist Estela Arrese studies triglyceride metabolism in unexpected places: silkworms, fruit flies, and mosquitoes.
    The main type of fat we consume, triglycerides are especially suited for energy storage because they pack more than twice as much energy as carbohydrates or proteins.
    Once triglycerides have been broken down during digestion, they are shipped out to cells through the bloodstream. Some of the fat gets used for energy right away. The rest is stored inside cells in blobs called lipid droplets. When we need extra energy—for instance, when we run a marathon—our bodies use enzymes called lipases to break down the stored triglycerides. The cell's power plants, mitochondria, can then create more of the body's main energy source: adenosine triphosphate, or ATP."

Eating leafy green veggies and fruits lower on the glycemic index is also SUPER important for weight loss and overall health benefits. Here's some essential info about the glycemic index...which was brought to my attention by my Endocrinologist.

The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of carbohydrates on a scale from 0 to 100 according to the extent to which they raise blood sugar levels after eating. Foods with a high GI are those which are rapidly digested and absorbed and result in marked fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Low-GI foods, by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption, produce gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels, and have proven benefits for health. Low GI diets have been shown to improve both glucose and lipid levels in people with diabetes (type 1 and type 2). They have benefits for weight control because they help control appetite and delay hunger. Low GI diets also reduce insulin levels and insulin resistance.

Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

This link will tell you all about the glycemic index of carb containing foods: http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php

Berries and Strawberries are really low on the glycemic index...making u feel fuller longer and more satisfied, while bananas are on the moderate side, slightly spiking your glucose levels...but not enough to be super concerned. They are to be eaten in moderation, while watermelon's GI ranges from 72-80 and cantaloupe's GI ranges between 65-70!!! Those should be avoided or eaten in moderation along with lower GI foods.

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance 2 months ago and have a best friend who is a Team Beach Body Coach and I'm full of helpful information!!! If u have any questions or concerns feel free to message me and I'll hook u up with all types of info. Believe me, you can easily get filled on 1200 calories/day as long as u eat the right ones!!! The link above for glycemicindex.com will also allow u to search for your fav foods and see how they are rated on the GI scale. It's not just a blog talking about the benefits of eating low GI foods...it has all sorts of tools to help you!!! Good Luck w/everything!!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    ^ Good luck expecting people to read all that.

You need to make your posts a lot more concise if you are going to get your points across.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

You need to make your posts a lot more concise if you are going to get your points across.

^^^^^^^ in total agreement Funny-gif-too-long-didnt-read.gif
  • kirsteeeeenxo
    kirsteeeeenxo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think in regards to starvation for weight loss, having a calorie deficit will make you lose body fat. But it will then begin to use your muscle for energy if you aren't eating enough. Ultimately if you eat at a deficit for an extended period of time and then resume your 'normal' eating pattern, you will just gain all the weight back. They say starvation slows down your metabolism, so whilst you aren't eating too much that's okay, you won't gain weight, but as soon as you start eating more your metabolism will stay at the same slow pace I.e. Weight gain
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have heard about not eating and after a while your body eats your own muscle.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ in total agreement Funny-gif-too-long-didnt-read.gif
    I was going to read that post, but I saw it was about 10 pages and gave up. :laugh: