Just Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

Options
My name is Chris. I was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I am interested in connecting with people who want to reverse their Diabetes.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have type 2, although since may first i've lowered my fasting blood sugar down from 300 to 130 or under through diet and exercise, and lowered my after-walk blood sugar from about 240 to 99. walking rocks!
  • Nomoremrbigguy
    Nomoremrbigguy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing! What kind of diet changes did you make?
  • KHolladay36
    Options
    I don't have Diabetes....yet. My father in Insulin dependent and now on Dyalisis. My grandmother died of it (also Dyalisis) and now my cousin (the same age as me) was diagnosed with Type 1. I took a health test from work and it said that I was at risk of developing it, like it could happen soon. My levels were too high. Since it runs on both sides of my family, I decided to take charge of my heatlh issues. I have read many articles on exercises to do, how to eat, what to eat, and even bought a textbook on Contemporary Nutrition (from Goodwill: $3.95). I always wanted to be a nutritionist but life had other plans for me. I still read books all of the time, go to the gym and even bough a home eliptical (still kicking my butt).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    i have type 2, although since may first i've lowered my fasting blood sugar down from 300 to 130 or under through diet and exercise, and lowered my after-walk blood sugar from about 240 to 99. walking rocks!
    Great job!!! :happy:

Edited: No, not just great, but AWESOME! I bet you feel so much better now than with your numbers higher, really proud of you as I know it's not something that comes easy without dedication.

Welcome to MFP Chris:drinker: good to have you. You'll likely have the same type of change happen to you as did the poster above when you make life altering changes, it's amazing what getting healthy does for our mind & our body.

You might like to check out the groups section as there are likely T2 groups you might like to join in on.

Hearts:heart:
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes last October. By eating a low carb/high fat diet, I've lost over 60 pounds, and my FBG is in the normal range every day w/o meds. No calorie counting or exercise. I have several friends in the same category. We also use diabetesforum.com for lot of good ideas on dealing with diabetes.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    For the last 4 years I have tried to keep track of what works bringing down my sugar numbers and what hurts. WALKING WALKING WALKING is the best for bringing down your numbers. I have to make sure i watch my portion size. I now know before I go to the gym i have to check my blood sugar if it is low I have to run on the treadmill or lift weights these activities raise my sugar slightly walking will drop it. If I walk at a 120 blood sugar i will bottom out before i get home. I agree the low carb helps a bunch.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You can check out the T2 support group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    There are a LOT of resources out there.
    Blood Sugar 101 is a great book to start with as it explains a lot.
  • candivito
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2 a little over a week ago. I am doing fine during the day with keeping my BS in line, but my fasting BS in the am is always higher than what it is when I go to bed. Has anyone had this problem?
  • candivito
    Options
    :smile:
  • adsii1970
    adsii1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. As far as your fasting blood/glucose levels being higher in the mornings, yes, I had that problem as well until I began to play around with my diet and the timing of my meals. In the evenings, I try to stay away from meals high in carbs and I have smaller portions. Protein is key; keep the protein serving size at the recommended 3 to 4 oz. I end each meal with a clementine, as it is just sweet enough to satisfy the desires for sugary stuff, yet with natural sugars which your body can handle in moderate quantities.

When it came to the timing, I began to make sure I ate at the same time each evening, within about thirty minutes. I also put at least three hours between bedtime and supper as well. I went from having fasting blood/glucose levels from between 128-140 to now, I range from 70 to 85. It works for me is all I am saying.
  • marykator
    Options
    I've been diagnosed as well. Feel free to add :)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed on September 11, 2012. A1C was 14.5, 370 reading. The doctor said, quite bluntly, that if I didn't make changes, I would die before I hit 50 years old.

Nearly two years later, my A1C is 4.9, averages between 75 and 90, and I've lost (to date) 113 pounds. Still a ways to go but I'm CLEARLY better.

I can say, with no hesitation, that getting T2 diabetes has actually been the best thing that could have ever happened to me, because it forced me to WAKE UP and start changing my life for the better. Kind of an unorthodox attitude, I know, but it's how I truly feel about it.

But it's hard when you're first diagnosed. I know. I felt like my world had crashed all around me.

Feel free to add me if you like. You'll get through this. Promise! :)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2 a little over a week ago. I am doing fine during the day with keeping my BS in line, but my fasting BS in the am is always higher than what it is when I go to bed. Has anyone had this problem?

Common. It's called the "dawn effect" - your liver releases glucose as a result of hormonal signals. Happened to me all the time while I was bringing my A1C down.

My blood sugar was usually stabliilized or at its lowest by lunchtime.

Nothing to worry about, though you can get a better control of it by avoiding carby things before bedtime, that seemed to have helped me.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Type 2er here too--was diagnosed a few years ago, and yes I also have the "dawn effect" in the mornings.

I remember when I was first diagnosed...what a reality check! I would go as far as saying that I went through a few weeks of depression...wondering how did I let myself get so far out of control?? But like someone else stated above...it was a good thing it happened. Hard telling what condition my body would be in if I hadn't gotten the wake up call as well.

I'm managed to lose some weight and my numbers have stayed pretty good--now I'm really focusing on getting my carb count under control!! I love my carbs! :sad:

Goal: to get off of my Metformin completely!!

Good luck to you OP and feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • candivito
    Options
    Thank you, adsli1970, for the information. I will start tracking my times in the evening. Cathalain, thank you also for the information and the weight loss you experienced is amazing!
  • bimmerjt9
    Options
    My doctor says I have pre diabetes, I've hit the elliptical, upped the fruit/veggies while cutting the carbs & fat. Next appointmenr in October. Hope to see a big improvement .
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am like right under becoming pre-diabetic. I walk on my breaks and lunch, about 50-60 minutes a day. I eat lunch at my desk at work so that I could walk during my lunch time.
    I can control my eating at work, but when I get home all i want to do is eat...Weekends are bad too. And that's where the real problem lays...finding a way to control food intake and cravings...
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    There is hope:flowerforyou:

I was diagnosed with Type 2 May 11,2012 ....A1C 6.9%....Glucose was 108:sad:
    I joined MFP June 7, 2012
    I was taken off Metformin (as well as 2 Rx for HTN & 2 for chol/trig) on Sept 13,2013:bigsmile:
    In June 2014...A1C 5.3% ... Glucose 86

I AM a walker, everyday, for at least an hour (tracked via Runkeeper, Fitbit Flex & Garmin Vivofit)
    My starting BMI 44%...Current BMI 22%
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've found walking better for lowering blood sugar than any other exercise, and i avoid fruits except for VERY small amounts of strawberries. fruits are full of sugar, and for me at least they increase blood sugar more than almost anything else i eat, even at fairly small amounts. my blood sugar does better with complex carbs than fruits - oats and barley are two of my faves, and small servings of bread / potatoes work just fine for me as long as portions are controlled.
    My doctor says I have pre diabetes, I've hit the elliptical, upped the fruit/veggies while cutting the carbs & fat. Next appointmenr in October. Hope to see a big improvement .
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I was a type 2 in April last year and now I am a pre diabetic. Lost 25 pounds and have 45 more to go. Eating better and exercise. Not easy but doable.