New to MFP!

Options
Hi all,

I work 3rd shift in a Lab setting and we get bored on the weekends. Today, this leaves me in a typing mood, so please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a 32 year old, 6', 321 lbs male that -- like many of you -- has decided to put his fitness back on track. I wish I could tell you all that I was motivated by poor or declining health issues, but this simply isn't the case. I was always that guy that smiled a knowing grin as the health and welfare representative reached for the "fat people" brochures when I entered the office. My blood pressure would be 120/80, blood sugar a comfortable 90, and and cholesterol easily below normal. The look of utter confusion was always priceless.

For that reason, I won't say "healthy." that's not why I'm doing this. Instead, I want to be "fit." Alas, 321 pounds is a LOT of weight to throw around, and I notice myself feeling sluggish. I want to shop at specialty clothing stores again, I want to win at a game of basketball that isn't HORSE, and I want to run that 2 mile in 14 minutes like I used to. Hurdles for me are, and always will be, staying motivated. I've pretty much been told that I'm on my own here. I don't have a lifting partner, nor a running partner, nor a family member that will notice that first 20 pounds and toss me a fist-bump in celebration.

I have had success in the past with losing weight and getting in shape though, most notably in the Army. I entered at 238 pounds. By the end of basic training I weighed a sexy 212. I even had a litte 6 pack coming in -- and cheeckbones! Who knew I had those? Anyway, the next 15 or so years would see some ups and down that eventually led me to my current weight of 321. That's a number I'm not happy with. I can do better! My current goal is 230, and I'll accept not a pound more.

After lurking here for a few days and logging all of my diet and excercise information, I have found that this is a pretty good community (well except for that wierd guy that leaves his phone number all over the forums :P). In addition, there is some awesome motivation to be found by way of success stories here. I hope some of you are like-minded individuals that can share in this journey with me. Please feel free to friend, PM me, or ask any question you like. Here's to watching the pounds go bye bye.

Wanderica

Replies

• kayla2sxc4u
    Options
    welcome good on you for making the effect to start losing weight you have already taken the first step yew now comes the hurt part, theres so many people on here looking for support and guidance even me and where here to help :)
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The people on here are so uplifting and motivating. Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I started at 332 lbs....2 years of work has paid off for me! I think we should be friends..Feel free to add me!
  • Wanderica
    Wanderica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies and adds. For someone staring at a 100 pound weight loss goal, and going it alone, stuff like this can make the difference. I think I found the one place on the internet where people aren't jerks.