To lift weights or not? help?

Options
Newbie here :ohwell: I know this is a nonsense question..
but i really need help..

I am planning to start a program called chalean extreme coz I really have flabby arms after I lose a couple of pounds.
I want to tone my arms and plan to stop lifting weights if my arms will not be flabby anymore and I don't want my muscle
To be really big. Is it true that if you stop lifting weights your muscle turns to fat? :embarassed:

Replies

• earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Muscle can't turn to fat. The only way your muscles would get really big is if you were taking steroids.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for years and I don't have big muscles.
  • kittee83
    kittee83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh, do lift weights.
    Ok, so take a small size dumbbell, like a 2kg or 3kg, whatever you're comfortable with, and start doing:
    Front Raises,
    Side Raises,
    Tricep Extension,
    Bicep Curl.

You only need small weights, and your arms won't look big and muscly, just more toned.
    I promise you, it will really help you out, and you won't be left with flabby arms.

I'm living proof :)<3 xxx
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Chalean extreme would not be considered lifting heavy...it's more of a cardio/circut training regime. Yes you include resistence training but with the bands and small hand held dumbells you won't see any increase in muscle...so you don't have to worry about your muscles "getting really big"...

As well you don't turn muscle to fat...you lose fat and try to maintain muscle...and while losing fat you see the muscle more.

I have lifted heavy for just under a year and I don't have big muscles...
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Muscle can't turn to fat. The only way your muscles would get really big is if you were taking steroids.

Just to add, anabolic steroids too, not corticosteroids! Added this as many of us have to take corticosteroids, and will also not get big muscles from lifting! : )
  • lovestolift67
    Options
    That is a major concern with women, if they lift they are worried about getting big and looking freakish. (For those women who do Ms Olympia, I enjoy the sport, but they are obviously on something)

Lifting weights for women is encouraged. Connect with other females you know that use weights on a regular basis. All depends on what you are working towards, and as for the turning muscle into fat? Another misconception. You would lose muscle mass. If I stopped lifting, the muscle mass I gained I would lose, and if I started eating crappy food, fat would cover the muscle.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...You only need small weights, and your arms won't look big and muscly, just more toned...

Heavy weights won't make you look big and muscly either. You'll just be stronger and more awesome AND look more toned.
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    bubbly_charm2k9 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys your replys are much appreciated
  • kittee83
    Options
    And don't do weights everyday, just every second or third day. :)

Oh, and eat protein from 30 to 60 minutes after a weights workout.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

If you are lifting heavy perhaps you only want to do weights every other day but for chalene you can do the workout everyday.

You won't be taxing the muscles to the point that recovery of a full day or two is required.

I life heavy 3x a week...squats at 20+ my weight and I only take a day off in between.

As for the protien eh...not sure that would be totally necessary unless you are training hard and for powerlifting etc.

ETA: I wanted to add that yes I have done circut training workouts and I never took days off in between except for my scheduled rest day...
  • kittee83
    Options

As for the protien eh...not sure that would be totally necessary unless you are training hard and for powerlifting etc.

The protein is meant to repair muscle after a workout, is it not?
    And I don't want to bulk up. Thank you.
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys your replys are much appreciated

* replies
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    As a woman to build big muscles you are either going to have to take steroids. Or pursue an aggressive lifting regimen like a total and utter nutcase. A bit of moderate lifting will do nothing but good things.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

The protein is meant to repair muscle after a workout, is it not?
    And I don't want to bulk up. Thank you.

I meant the protien timing...I eat 125g a day and most of it is before lifting.
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    Options
    Chalean extreme would not be considered lifting heavy...it's more of a cardio/circut training regime. Yes you include resistence training but with the bands and small hand held dumbells you won't see any increase in muscle...so you don't have to worry about your muscles "getting really big"...

As well you don't turn muscle to fat...you lose fat and try to maintain muscle...and while losing fat you see the muscle more.

Thanks for the info :)
    I am wondering if it's true that if you stop lifting weights you will gain weight?
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    To get tone you need to lift and build muscle (you wont be bulky. Not even close to enough testosterone) , but more importantly lose the fat around that muscles. Lose weight and lift heavy.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I am wondering if it's true that if you stop lifting weights you will gain weight?

^ youll eventually lose muscle that you dont need. More muscle equals higher metabolism, so you can eat more.. if you lose the muscle and keep eating the same.. yes you will gain, it all comes to calories
  • Missfit35
    Options
    All woman should lift weights! Light weight high reps will help you on your toning journey. The only way a woman would bulk up is if she were ingesting steroids which I highly doubt you're into. Don't fret about weights their very important in your weight loss.

Good Luck!
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    Options

^ youll eventually lose muscle that you dont need. More muscle equals higher metabolism, so you can eat more.. if you lose the muscle and keep eating the same.. yes you will gain, it all comes to calories

thanks now I get it :happy:
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    Options
    All woman should lift weights! Light weight high reps will help you on your toning journey. The only way a woman would bulk up is if she were ingesting steroids which I highly doubt you're into. Don't fret about weights their very important in your weight loss.

Good Luck!