Totally bumming out...

Options
Ok - I was really excited b/c I lost 5 lbs my first week and was doing really well w/ my excercise & calories...that was Monday.

Yesterday I went to try on dresses for sister's wedding and found a dress that will look great when I lose this weight! I was super motivated and can picture myself in that dress looking great at her beach wedding. I was so motivated to look great in it, I went home and did 30 minutes of Zumba...that was Tuesday.

This morning, I decided to step on the scale after my workout...and I GAINED back all that I had lost. I don't know how this happened in 2 days. I was so good the last 2 days that there is no way I over-ate or slacked off. Top it off with the fact that it's that TOM and I am NOT happy!

What am I doing wrong??? Is this how this is going to be? I was SO excited and motivated when that first 5 pounds came off - I felt good for the first time in a long time and now I'm bummed out about it and feel like this weight will never come off. I knew going into this that it would hard, but I felt like I was giving it my all and now feel like that's not enough. Help! Before I fall off the edge!!!

Replies

• gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!!! Those extra pounds are probably due to TOM!!!!! Just keep going. Stay motivated. It will pass!
  • KaylatheChristian
    Options
    TOM could have alot to do with it...
  • sannalong
    sannalong Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I know it's discouraging, but you have to have faith in the process. As long as you're burning more calories than you're consuming, the weight is going to come off. You'll look fabulous in that dress! One tiny bit of advice: stay OFF the scales during that TOM. What you put back on is likely water weight which will disappear just as quickly as it came, but you don't need the emotional stress. Hang in there!!!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    Don't get bummed!! Usually around my TOM I gain back a couple of pounds!! Its usually water weight and all that other wonderful stuff. Keep working at it!! I bet as soon as TOM is over, you will have lost again!
  • Jbonar
    Jbonar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    TOM of the month and possibly muscles retaining water from your workout. Don't be discouraged and don't expect a workout one day to result in a loss immediately the next day.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's just that ToM. Drink tons off water to get rid of the water weight. Keep up with your calorie counting and exercise and avoid the scale until it's over.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I posted this today check it out all the way to the end

First week on mfp I ate 17,554 cals and burned 5,550 cals and I lost 4 pounds! This last week I ate 16,319 cals and burned 6,750 cals! My sodium was less and all other categories were equal or less. Remind you im 286 pounds this is going to blow your mind and here it comes.

I went from 286 to 285.9 what? lol

Just goes to show yah that the scale doesnt always tell the story. I have had weeks like this and I keep working and it finds a way to come off.

You should see what that dress fits like now and in 2 weeks put it on and see what happens =)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks are an adjusting period for your body. Water weight is going to come on and off, muscle is going to build, and your body might retain food (you might not poop as much) while it gets used to working out. Just stick with eating healthy and exercising and you're bound to see results!

It wouldn't help to weigh yourself daily either. Studies show that people who weigh themselves every day tend to weigh less because it helps you keep track of yourself. Just don't get obsessive about it. ;-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Since you say you stuck with the calories and exercise, there is almost no way you "really" gained the weight back. As others have said TOM will cause water retention in a lot of people and a small amount of water retention can cause a large change on the scale. This is one of the reasons one of those scales that measure more than just weight (Body Fat %, Hydration, etc) can be so helpful, as they give a more detailed picture of you body composition.

Keep at it, and BTW don't cut back on your water consumption to try to get rid of that water weight. Since you are using MFP, you may want to have it start reporting the Sodium you consume as well, since a high sodium diet (something virtually every person in North America consumes) will contribute to water retention. Then you can cut back on the sodium a bit and see if it helps.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did for myself is put my scale away. I weigh once a week and other than that, stay away from it. You are doing all the right things and success will come. But mentally living by those daily numbers of the scale can be very discouraging and detrimental to your overall attitude. Track your measurements and/or body fat percentage as well. Give yourself other ways to measure your success....like how that dress fits. :)

Hang in there!!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I posted this today check it out all the way to the end

First week on mfp I ate 17,554 cals and burned 5,550 cals and I lost 4 pounds! This last week I ate 16,319 cals and burned 6,750 cals! My sodium was less and all other categories were equal or less. Remind you im 286 pounds this is going to blow your mind and here it comes.

I went from 286 to 285.9 what? lol

Just goes to show yah that the scale doesnt always tell the story. I have had weeks like this and I keep working and it finds a way to come off.

You should see what that dress fits like now and in 2 weeks put it on and see what happens =)

I say only weigh yourself 1-2 times a month. Your clothes should be your scale. I agree with Polo, put the dress on now and in a few weeks time, see how it fits then.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    DO NOT WEIGH DURING TOM! I gain 4-8lbs during TOM. No. Joke.

Charmagne