Anyone doing a ketogenic diet?

Options
Hello,
I am Keke and new to this forum, I am looking for people that are doing a ketogenic diet and/or live a ketogenic lifestyle...
I have even following a ketogenic diet with the local hospital (not for health reasons) and I would like to share my experiences with people on here :)
I started last month at a weight of 200 lbs and I am down to 176 lbs I still have 40+ lbs to go...
Eventually I would like to start to compete at fitness /bikini competitions.
I used to be 127lbs before I moved to Texas... Well everything is bigger in Texas lmao

Replies

• itsryanneyo
    itsryanneyo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great results! I'm a keto-er. Just finished my 18th day. Born and raised Texan, myself ;-) I've lost 8.5 lbs in these 2 1/2 weeks, and had my 1st cheat day today... I did Adkins back in college with good results, but in the past 10 years of marriage, 2 babies, and owning a successful home bakery, Ive packed on a good 25 lbs, and I still have 16+ left to lose. Being endomorphic, this way of life is all that really works for me. I'm a beach body coach, used shakeology daily for a year, I run 3 miles a day, have completed multiple rounds of insanity and t25, but slowly the pounds crept on. High fat just works for me. Pain and simple. Not to mention how much better mentally and physically I feel. I jumped into ketosis by day 2, and haven't felt flu-ish at all, till today, actually, and I assume that's from the cheat day carbs.
  • TranquilWisdom
    Options
    I'm just getting started on it and hoping to find more support here. MFP had helped in the past so I'm hoping it will help again
  • mom2threeQTs
    mom2threeQTs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto diet since mid January. Lost 32lbs so far (most of which was in first month). Enjoying this way of eating.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am Keke and new to this forum, I am looking for people that are doing a ketogenic diet and/or live a ketogenic lifestyle...
    I have even following a ketogenic diet with the local hospital (not for health reasons) and I would like to share my experiences with people on here :)
    I started last month at a weight of 200 lbs and I am down to 176 lbs I still have 40+ lbs to go...
    I used to be 127lbs before I moved to Texas... Well everything is bigger in Texas lmao
    Phenomenal results in a short amount of time. Come post on the keto discussion forum.
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    Great results! I'm a keto-er. Just finished my 18th day. Born and raised Texan, myself ;-) I've lost 8.5 lbs in these 2 1/2 weeks, and had my 1st cheat day today... I did Adkins back in college with good results, but in the past 10 years of marriage, 2 babies, and owning a successful home bakery, Ive packed on a good 25 lbs, and I still have 16+ left to lose. Being endomorphic, this way of life is all that really works for me. I'm a beach body coach, used shakeology daily for a year, I run 3 miles a day, have completed multiple rounds of insanity and t25, but slowly the pounds crept on. High fat just works for me. Pain and simple. Not to mention how much better mentally and physically I feel. I jumped into ketosis by day 2, and haven't felt flu-ish at all, till today, actually, and I assume that's from the cheat day carbs.
    Warning: This is a complete thread hijacking... ;)

My wife just started with this shakeology crap. Please tell that there's some inherent value to this approach. It's ridiculously expensive for what you get (IMHO). I can't seem to get her to believe in keto even though my results speak for themselves (down 35 lbs. since I started with only about 10 lbs. left). So what's the "science" behind shakeology? Is there any real sensible basis in that approach.
  • pstralen
    pstralen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am! Lost 80 lbs since I started last year in April. Still doing good!
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting!!
  • cubouldergirl
    Options
    I am doing Atkins! 20g or less a day. I've lost 24 pounds over the past month and a half. Anyone on this topic feel free to add me! :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb / keto since Sept 2012.
    There are some great low carb and keto support forums here on MFP. They main forums often take a negative view.

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

For recipes -
    DJ Foodie
    I Breathe I'm Hungry
    All Day I dream About Food
    Caveman Keto

Good info on Keto over at reddit:
    keto in a nutshell: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit
    Keto FAQ: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Good Luck!
  • jocilou12
    jocilou12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Hello,
    Phenomenal results in a short amount of time. Come post on the keto discussion forum.

There's a Keto Forum ?
  • itsryanneyo
    Options
    I definitely won't knock Shakeo. It's a great product, full of amazing super foods. I know a lot of people who have had amazing results with it, I'm just too carb sensitive, and didn't realize it for the year I was downing it for a couple hundred bucks a month. There were a few days at the beginning of going keto where I had enough carbs left at the end of the day I could make half a scoop's worth, (11 carbs), and it would still knock me out of ketosis. I miss it, I feel my body craves it, but it's very much a love/hate relationship. Works for most folks, though!
  • Nijelako
    Nijelako Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kiramaniac for the great links : )
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    :laugh:
    Hello,

There's a Keto Forum ?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Been doing low carb/high fat since October 2013, with great success. No calorie counting, no obsessive exercise. My diabetes is under control without meds, and my cholesterol is within normal limits for the first time in over a decade.

I grew up in Texas, so I know what THEY eat. Recently saw an article about the fattest people in the USA--most were in Texas, Austin being the exception.

Very happy to share info. :happy:
  • itsryanneyo
    Options
    Us TEXANS definitely know how to cook ;-)
  • diesel74
    diesel74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @SnowFlinga Yes there is a HUGE amount of science behind shakeology....shoot me your email and I can show you some of it...and if you break down the cost of it its $4 a serving....not bad when you consider how much a starbucks is or a crappy fast food breakfast....and guess what you can still be in Keto and have shakeology as welll
  • TramwayGirl
    TramwayGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joined and need to lose 50 lbs. Thinking of doing the new Atkins since I am sure I'm addicted to sugar and carbs! I have Shakeology too so it would still be ok to use during induction phase?