Hard to get exercise in and allergic to fruits...

Options
What's up everybody. Just starting up on this mfp and seems like everyone is nice around here. Currently I'm 255 pounds standing at 6'4''. I'm trying to get down to around 220 or even less. I'm a truck driver (Beer Delivery) and I'm usually working 9-15 hours a day. By the time I get home I don't even want to touch the elliptical because I'm exhausted from the entire day. I mean throughout the day I'm lifting cases and kegs, going up and down stairs, and pushing heavy uboats up ramps into stores so I'm kind of figuring that I'm working out all day.

Eating wise I'm starting to pick up better habits but could be better but I'm allergic to fruits and almonds. Apples aren't too bad of a reaction but bananas, some almonds, and a few other fruits make my throat itch and give headaches for the rest of the day. Only thing I drink is water, I cut out all the juice and soda.

I guess I'm asking for assistance on what I could bring to eat or what to eat on the road. I'm a real picky eater and I've tried a few other healthy vegetables and things like coconut water but I just can't do it without wanting to throw up lol. It sucks because I want to eat healthier but I really can't take the taste of things without getting sick like avocado's and things like that.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope to learn from everyone here. Have a good day.

Justin

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hi Justin. For weightloss, it doesn't in particular as much matter WHAT you eat. It matters HOW MUCH you eat.

What snacks do you bring with you now? You could keep eating those, but less.

I myself pack things like this: cubed deli-type meat. Nuts (skip almonds if you can't h have them), soy nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, pretzels, cubed baked sweet potato, roasted and cubed tofu.
  • Nyrizzie
    Options
    Right now I'm not bringing anything with me, I usually just pick up whenever I'm delivering around a store or something. I mean lately I would try to snack on those nature sweet and salty bars, unsalted peanuts, and apples. It's when it hits to lunch time or near dinner I'm starving. I would either get 2 slices of pizza or a chicken cutlet on a hero. So I guess instead of 2 slices cut it to 1 and for the chicken cutlet, cut it to half a hero or something.

I'll go out and try some of the things you mentioned though. I need some variety.

Thanks
  • WBB55
    Options
    Do the restaurants you buy these at have calorie counts somewhere?

There's nothing wrong with even two slices of pizza, if it fits within your calorie goal for the day. How many calories are you shooting for per day?
  • Nyrizzie
    Options
    No, very few I see the calories listed anywhere. I mean I started up the MFP app so I will start logging down with that the best I can from what I eat. From the app for my desired weight loss to 220 says 2500 calories a day.
  • WBB55
    Options
    2500 sounds do-able. Just track as best you can. And see how it goes.

Then come back in a couple weeks with your diary set to public, and we can give you great advice.

And here's a tip from Aunt WBB: if a store/restaurant won't tell you the calorie count or weight if something, then they don't care about their customers. And you shouldn't give them any of your hard-earned money.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I would say just make sure what you eat comes from a place with easily and reliably quantifiable calorie counts. For example, go to a chain pizza place instead of a local one because the chain one will almost always have their nutrition info available either on their website, at the restaurant or both. As far as exercise, I would suggest using the MFP settings for whatever you would classify your activity level as, certainly not sedentary based on how you described your workday. Weigh yourself regularly and if after a month you have not lost close the amount of weight you should have lost, adjust the activity level setting down one and repeat until you are getting the results you want. Remember, your weight can fluctuate wildly from day to day because of a variety of factors; it's a marathon, not a sprint. Give it a month and adjust as needed.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Have you been actually diagnosed with these allergies? If not, that might be the place to start. Self-diagnosis is always dangerous. I know that I'm not allergic to fruits, but I've been diagnosed with silent reflux and my ENT said to avoid all citrus, blueberries and strawberries. I can eat them occasionally, but that's it. The same with nuts. So, an occasional breakfast with them is ok, but I don't eat them for snacks anymore.

Exercise is generally a matter of mind over matter. If it's important to you, you'll find time. You might take note that the general population of the US is SEDENTARY and this has led to the current crisis of OBESITY. Take it seriously. The only way to stay healtthy is to exercise - cardio and resistance/strength training combo is recommended.

You can lose weight without either of those, but it's easier both to lose and maintain with a change of attitude.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just started 6 weeks ago, and when I started logging my food, I was amazed at what I had been eating previously. Probably 4-5K calories a day.. :D It sound like you get plenty of exercise (burning calories) already. Set your goal and activity level, and try to eat under your calorie goal. Spoiler: As you lose weight, MPF will drop your available calories. Some reward! It only does it every 10lbs, so its not too traumatic.

Once I started logging, and seeing the BIG difference it made, I got a food scale and made sure I could accurately track my food. Good luck and welcome!!!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You definitely have plenty of cardio and strength training in your job. It's all about the food for you.

The more control you have over your food preparation, the easier it is to track. Consider making sandwiches and sticking them in a cooler in your truck. It is easy to get the sandwiches fixings, like sliced turkey, ham, roast beef, chicken salad, tuna salad, etc., plus some sliced tomato or onion, a couple of pickles, this is pure bachelor food. When you do that, you will know exactly what you are eating and exactly how many calories along with protein fat and carbs.
  • Nyrizzie
    Options
    Thank you everyone that replied I really appreciate it. Great info that I will get started on and see how things go. Thanks again to everyone and I'll keep you posted. My diary is now public.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have nut allergies as well. I'm fine with almonds but Walnuts/pecans give me the weird itchy mouth and throat and a crazy stomach for the day. Are you allergic to the fruit if it's cooked as well or only in it's raw state? For snacks I'd go with some good protein. Pepperoni sticks and cheese sticks, beef jerky (high in sodium so I only have one serving), greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cold bbq chicken breast slices. Pair any of that with an apple, crackers or some pretzels and you've got a good snack. It sounds like bringing a cooler with you packed with snacks and portioned lunches might be a good option for you. Luckily you already work out all day =) It took me awhile but I got in the habit of making my meals for the next day after work and logging it all before bed. I make sure I get adequate protein because I find it keeps me full. good luck!
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You definitely have plenty of cardio and strength training in your job. It's all about the food for you.

The more control you have over your food preparation, the easier it is to track. Consider making sandwiches and sticking them in a cooler in your truck. It is easy to get the sandwiches fixings, like sliced turkey, ham, roast beef, chicken salad, tuna salad, etc., plus some sliced tomato or onion, a couple of pickles, this is pure bachelor food. When you do that, you will know exactly what you are eating and exactly how many calories along with protein fat and carbs.

this is what i was gong to say. it is a little more work but worth it. i try to do this myself. the sandwiches and snacks you buy in the store have way more calories than stuff you make at home.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    First, it actually sounds like what you have is "Oral Allergy Syndrome" rather than a true food allergy. Basically, your body misidentifies certain foods as pollens or molds to which you are allergic. I have this too, and finding cross-reaction lists has really helped me to avoid certain things when that pollen/mold is also prevalent. Might help you too.

Can you pack a cooler bag to take with you? You'd have a lot more control over what you're eating on the road. My brother is a truck driver and he's found that to work really well for him.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This.

OP, plan on taking some stuff with you, even if you do eat at your favorite restaurants along the way. Weigh those two ounces of peanuts and throw them in a baggie for one of your snacks. Need a few more snacks along the way? Weight them and take them. Be as accurate as possible in your logging to ensure you are staying within your calorie goals.

I used to eat lunches out all the time until I started making my own homemade bread every week. Now I take sandwiches each day- either almond butter and preserves or tuna. I LOVE my homemade bread. It's a bit higher in calories than store bought, but I can guarantee I know exactly what goes in it and I'm convinced it's more nutritious for me.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    First, it actually sounds like what you have is "Oral Allergy Syndrome" rather than a true food allergy. Basically, your body misidentifies certain foods as pollens or molds to which you are allergic. I have this too, and finding cross-reaction lists has really helped me to avoid certain things when that pollen/mold is also prevalent. Might help you too.
    Just looked it up at MD Web. I think this is interesting.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

It was a relief when an allergist finally explained it to me. I also get the itchy throat and ears, tongue swells a bit, etc. It would come and go. For example, I can eat melons and cantaloupe in the winter and have no issue, but it would produce symptoms in the spring. Some foods I can eat cooked but not raw.

For whatever reason, many General Practitioners aren't aware of Oral Allergy Syndrome so people go undiagnosed. Once you realize your cross-reactions, things are a lot simpler and you may be able to enjoy some foods in their corresponding pollen's "off season" or maybe enjoy them cooked.
  • gromithere
    gromithere Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    With the amount of activity you get during the day, working out may not be necessary for you. There are definitely plenty of snacks and foods that you can grab at grocery and convenience stores that can keep it low cal if you make the right choices. Instead of a candy bar, grab a rice krispy treat. Instead of a hamburger grab a grilled chicken sandwich or even a piece of cheese pizza. Feel free to check out my foot diary became I am currently in about the same calorie range as you, and I stick to it and in no way eat "clean!" Lol.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

It was a relief when an allergist finally explained it to me. I also get the itchy throat and ears, tongue swells a bit, etc. It would come and go. For example, I can eat melons and cantaloupe in the winter and have no issue, but it would produce symptoms in the spring. Some foods I can eat cooked but not raw.

For whatever reason, many General Practitioners aren't aware of Oral Allergy Syndrome so people go undiagnosed. Once you realize your cross-reactions, things are a lot simpler and you may be able to enjoy some foods in their corresponding pollen's "off season" or maybe enjoy them cooked.
    This gets more interesting. I used to eat a lot of citrus, especially oranges, and I got itchy ears and throat all the time, but I didn't associate it with the citrus.I have not eaten any in a very long time and I no longer have itchy ears and throat. Mmmmm....might be something to pay attention to, especially if I eat an orange any time soon.
  • Nyrizzie
    Options
    Big thank you to everyone much appreciated for real. Will definitely check into everything and do the best I can. Today I didn't do too great because of a nice family get together BBQ lol. But I didn't go for as much as I usually do and tracked everything. Will start doing a lot better and loving the fact I can track what I eat.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Big thank you to everyone much appreciated for real. Will definitely check into everything and do the best I can. Today I didn't do too great because of a nice family get together BBQ lol. But I didn't go for as much as I usually do and tracked everything. Will start doing a lot better and loving the fact I can track what I eat.

WRONG!! You did GREAT! You logged your food. And it was a very reasonable amount for a man. Sure, you might become more accurate as you keep doing this. But for your first day? YOU DID AWESOME!!!