making time for the gym

Options
In the past I've taken up running, I've done home workouts and made nightly walks with a friend. All during those times I've lost and maintained my weightloss. This last year was a very difficult year for me on more than one level. I gained 60 lbs in just over a year. I have started logging my good and watching my calories and walk to work when I can (1 mile round trip). I know that I need to add more consistant exercise into my routine though. I'm struggling with finding time to go to the Y though. I have been so exhausted that getting there in the evening is hard cuz honestly all I want to do is sit and relax on the couch. I've tried once going first thing in the morning around 6. I felt great that one day but the whole rest of the week it killed me. I was so tired and struggled staying awake past 8. Help! What do I do?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Keep going in the morning and you'll get used to it.

And what's wrong with going to sleep at 8?
    #oldpeopletactics

ETA: if I worked 4 blocks from home I'm not sure that I'd ever drive there
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Signing up for classes is a great way to feel like you have to go. I always found it best to go in the morning because no random excuses would derail it. Next best was before going home.

Now I'm struggling. Between a long commute, kids and a husband with the same commute but longer hours I find the gym really tough to get to. I find home DVDs easier to commit to timewise. I also got a fit bit which did encourage me to walk to work from the train station instead of taking the subway. By adding 20 minutes to my daily commute I can get 50 minutes of fast walking in.

I currently get up at 5 for my commute so I don't appreciate losing more sleep time. I would happily go to sleep at 8 but kids have other plans.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Grab a cup of coffee or have a banana and head for the gym directly from work. Its tough at first, but it'll become routine quick enough
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Find a training program, set some goals, achieve them and repeat. Don't approach your time in the gym as simply as a "workout".

I think there is a huge difference between going to the gym to "workout" and to "train".

What I see a lot of people do at my gym is a "work out", which I think means jumping on a cardio machine or maybe wandering between a few strength machines/barbells and pumping out some reps. They work up a sweat ... maybe. They repeat this for a while and lose some weight/look a bit better after a while. It is good for you? Sure! But it really doesn't provide a lot of incentive to go back once you drop those lbs.

With training you know exactly what your going to do when you go into the gym, every rep, every weight, every stride, every second is accounted for. You know what your expected performance should be and you strive to achieve it every time you show up. You have both short-term and long-term goals, and make measurable progress towards achieving them.

I "train" 3x a week without fail, I show up at the gym at 4:45am on Tues, Thurs, and Sat mornings and lift. I have specific goals I push to achieve (strength wise) every month and my "longer-term" goals I want to hit by Christmas and next summer. Every time I beat a personal record or finish one more rep than the last time, I gain all the motivation I need to go back next time and do it again. Nothing inspires success like success. This is pretty true outside of the gym too. =)

The funny thing about training programs is once you start seeing results, you'll start doing doing things outside the gym to keep those successes coming. Once I started seeing results from lifting (for example), I started spending more time trying to eat cleaner, sleep more, and make sure I'd be able to repeat my successes on the next session in the gym.

I do "workout" at least once a week, sometimes as much as 3x on my non lifting days. Some days I'll go to the gym and whack a racketball around, play some hoops, tumble on the mats (looking like an idiot), walk into a yoga class, or maybe I'll just go for a long walk or jog around the park. I do it because it's fun, different, and I have spare time this summer to kill. If I didn't workout, I'd probably lose weight a little slower, but I'd still be happy with my training program. "Working out" for me is simply something physical to do that maybe burns some extra calories and makes me feel better.

So train!
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time because I frequently travel between three locations. I keep a stability ball at each place and have a very simple workout with weights so when I can't get to a gym or walk, I still have something to do that makes me feel good.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Working with a trainer might help flip the switch for you. It did for me. If I lived as close to work as you do, I'd walk. Just saying.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would either go to bed a little earlier at night so you can wake up earlier for the gym, or just go later at night. If you go a few times a week, after a week or two it'll become routine and you'll get used to it. From there you can challenge yourself to try and do a couple more minutes on the cardio, or up the intensity, or do some heavier weights or more reps, etc. If you keep it interesting and fun you'll keep going. If you just go there and do the same thing over and over you'll burn out fast.

I made excuses for the past 4 months and got lazy. I was busy at work, I want to spend time with my kids, I'm not gaining that much weight anyway, I just don't have time anymore these days, etc. Everyone has excuses. No other person in your family, circle of friends, or on this website can force you to get motivated. You just have to at some point take some accountability for your health and take some action. However you can make it work, just go for it. Everyone's situation is different. Just do what works best for you and stick with it and the weight will come off and soon you'll feel better and that in of itself will keep you motivated.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    In July, I started getting up at 5:00-5:15am and was at the gym by 5:45 M-F. Sure, that first week was difficult - I was sorely tempted to hit the snooze button and blow off my workout. But I made a commitment to myself and (probably more importantly) my awesome friends list to get up and do it. It would have been relatively easy to blow off the gym if it was just me I had to contend with, but how could I disappoint my FL??

By week 2, 5:00am is much easier. I LOVE knowing that the most disciplined part of my day is over by 7:00am. Knowing that I knocked out 3.5miles or completed my strength training while most people are still sleeping or just having their morning coffee is a great ego boost. I do today what most people won't so tomorrow I can do what most people can't.

Now, one month in to this, I look forward to my early morning workouts. Here it is, not even noon on Sunday, and I have my gym bag packed, my work clothes already laid out for tomorrow.

Sure, I had to make some concessions to my old schedule, like making sure I'm in bed by 10:00pm so I get adequate sleep. But what am I giving up?? Late nights of watching old TV re-runs?? And I have added multivitamins and B complex to my daily nutrition. But all in all, this has been a VERY positive step for me and I'm so glad I sucked it up that first week and just did it.

If this is REALLY what you want, you WILL find the way the get it done. Good luck!!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning before work because I usually have other errands to run after work or just want to get home to cook and relax. My weekday goal is four days and it's easy to get some work in on the weekend when I don't have to be up so early. This gives me a day or two to rest during the week and sleep an extra hour in the mornings. I'm not sure if any situation is perfect all the time. I suggest planning a weekly schedule and just sticking to it--even if it changes each week. Just do it!
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

#oldpeopletactics

Nothing other than the fact I'm not ready to be old yet. ;)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

#oldpeopletactics

I'd rather be a 52yo old fart who goes to bed early, runs a 9:00mile, deadlifts 210 and weighs 20lbs more than I did when I graduated high school (116) than be a young, unfit couch potato. :drinker:
  • jwallner04
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. You all have motivated me to just do it. I do have some short and long term goals but honestly I'm a little overwhelmed thinking about where I want to be a year from now. I want to not only be skinny but also fit. I want muscle and abs and a nice tush.

My gym doesn't open until 5:30 so I plan on getting up to be there for 6 or 6:30. That'll give me time to get 30 minutes in to start with and then I can go from there.

And I guess if going to bed at 8pm means I can get up at 5:30 I'll do that. #oldpeopleproblems :)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I love the y. I would just get into a routine, the classes are good over there and the pool is good too.
  • jwallner04
    Options

#oldpeopletactics

I'd rather be a 52yo old fart who goes to bed early, runs a 9:00mile, deadlifts 210 and weighs 20lbs more than I did when I graduated high school (116) than be a young, unfit couch potato. :drinker:

True dat!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. You all have motivated me to just do it. I do have some short and long term goals but honestly I'm a little overwhelmed thinking about where I want to be a year from now. I want to not only be skinny but also fit. I want muscle and abs and a nice tush.

My gym doesn't open until 5:30 so I plan on getting up to be there for 6 or 6:30. That'll give me time to get 30 minutes in to start with and then I can go from there.

And I guess if going to bed at 8pm means I can get up at 5:30 I'll do that. #oldpeopleproblems :)

That's the spirit! I started out getting up at 5 in March and have decided to get up at 4:30 to fit in a longer routine.

Go in with a plan. Have a protein filled recovery meal/shake ready when you're done - I have a ninja and fill up my smoothie attachment cup with banana, protein powder, pb2, milk and a couple instant coffee packets the night before and leave it in the fridge. If you find yourself dragging by the afternoon, maybe you should reevaluate your food selection - are you getting enough protein/carbs/fats?

Once you get into the habit it becomes routine. I don't know about your situations, but my gym is a mad house after work. There are only a few regulars there at 5 AM and I get the equipment I need with little to no wait time. A fact that keeps me from saying "I'm too tired this morning, I'll go later."
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Today I so want to take a day off but I want my sexy back more than I want rest! My mindset right now: Let's get it, cause I want it bad. #30dayfitness #30DayAbChallenge
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well done.
    You figure out your pain point and find a way to reduce/eliminate it. It gets easier over time.

The toughest part of this whole thing is the behavior mod.

But? Its worth it.

Good job....
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just about making myself do it. I am lucky to have been able to turn one of my extra bedrooms into a home gym. I have a treadmill, elliptical, free weights and kettle bell. I bought a TV for that room so I watch it while I walk.

I know that I am not a morning person, so I make myself do it when I come home from work before I even sit down. I come in the door, put my purse and lunch bag down, use the bathroom and immediately put on my workout clothes and shoes.

Honestly, at first, there were alot of nights that I struggled to work all day and then come home and work out, but now I look forward to it. It's been a great stress reliever for me and I'm really starting to see results which is a huge motivation.

You will get in a groove and find what is right for you and your body. Good luck!

OH, and I am almost always in bed by 9:30 :laugh: #oldbeforemytime
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    Keep going in the morning and you'll get used to it.

#oldpeopletactics

ETA: if I worked 4 blocks from home I'm not sure that I'd ever drive there

8 pm sleep is most awesome! Even a mile from work #don'tdrive
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

#oldpeopletactics

Haha definitely!