fructose intolerance/fructose malabsorption syndrome

Options
my doctor told me that 85% of americans have issues with this and dont know it. he also said that, depending on your response to fructose, it can cause weight loss or weight gain regardless of what or how much you eat. they put me on a strict fructose free diet. it was basically meat and potatoes. i was on it for 3 mo to try and fix the small intestinal bacterial overgrowth it caused. i lost 40 lbs the first 2.5 mo then gained 10 lbs back the last 6 mo. i slimmed up real nice and my bloated belly went away.

then i got pregnant, quit caring what i ate and am now back to trying to correct my diet.

is there anybody else on this site who has this issue? i would like to be friends. i need support, not just with exercising and losing weight, but sticking to my fructose limited diet.

Replies

• natanakramer
    Options
    I just found out I have fructmal! I will add you and we can talk :)
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have fructmal! I will add you and we can talk :)

it is always nice to have more friends!
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have it as well. I can really feel it when I eat too much sugar (bloated, uncomfortable), and if I eat and apple I might as well not plan on doing anything the next day. I avoid things with fructose or HFCS on the label, but will survive if I have a little. I miss fruit! I eat a lot of dairy products, low sugar vegetables, and the only fruit I really eat are bananas (more starchy). I actually think that when I get more calories from fructose it causes weight loss/less weight gain because it's not getting absorbed.
  • rbentrup81
    rbentrup81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this as well. I've had it for a while, and most people just think I'm giving up sugar for no reason without realizing that it causes a lot of pain (especially at 2am)!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone from this old thread is still active?