Body weight routine advice.

Options
Hi folks,

I've recently started doing body weight routines as my main form of exercise. I've bumbled my way around and have been doing what I fancy most days of the week, however, I've started reading up on this a bit more and it looks like I shouldn't be working the same muscle groups daily, so, with this in mind I am planning to split into arms and legs days and doing each 3 days a week.

Arms:
Triceps dips 3 x 17
Dumbbell rows
Wall push ups x 50 (yep I'm a wuss and can't do even a half push up yet!)
Rowing machine
Planks x 3 1min 15sec

Legs:
Squats x 50
Lunges (not able to do these properly yet)
Bridges 12 x 20secs
Plie squats x 40
Exercise bike

I'm trying to build up strength in my legs as have chronic knee problems. As my strength improves I plan on increasing the difficulties etc.
I'm hoping by doing this I will start to see changes in my body shape and lower my body fat.

How does this look to those of you who already do this kind of stuff? Am I on the right tracks? Any other exercises you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Mabe

Replies

• mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Google you are your own gym. There's a book an app and a website dedicated to exactly what you're after.
  • mabelbabel1
    Options
    Google you are your own gym. There's a book an app and a website dedicated to exactly what you're after.

Yes, thanks, I have the book on order already.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but that looks sensible.
    I find lunges tough too - if I could give you some tips they would be "Keep your shoulders back" and "Keep your head up".
    If you're hunched over and/or staring at your feet it's really tricky to stay balanced (I've ended up on my bum a couple of times through not following my own advice!).

Let us know how you get on?
  • mabelbabel1
    Options
    I'm no expert but that looks sensible.
    I find lunges tough too - if I could give you some tips they would be "Keep your shoulders back" and "Keep your head up".
    If you're hunched over and/or staring at your feet it's really tricky to stay balanced (I've ended up on my bum a couple of times through not following my own advice!).

Let us know how you get on?

Thanks. Lunges simply kill my knees, always have, but I'm bloody minded enough that I'll get them done in the end! I'll report back on the book and how I find it in due course.

Love your Avatar and name btw!
  • FitFroglet
    Options

Thanks. Lunges simply kill my knees, always have, but I'm bloody minded enough that I'll get them done in the end! I'll report back on the book and how I find it in due course.

Injured knees must be really tough. Rather than alternating each leg and pushing back from your front leg (this is the bit that sometime snags my knees if I'm tired) would it be easier on your knees to get into the lunge position then just dip down and raise up?
    So you'd do all the reps on one leg, then swap position and do all the reps on the other (do your weakest leg first).
    Just a thought - not sure but worth a try.

Thank you - froglet has been a nickname of mine for years "Fit" is aspirational at the moment, I'm about 50lb overweight but getting there.
  • mabelbabel1
    Options

Injured knees must be really tough. Rather than alternating each leg and pushing back from your front leg (this is the bit that sometime snags my knees if I'm tired) would it be easier on your knees to get into the lunge position then just dip down and raise up?
    So you'd do all the reps on one leg, then swap position and do all the reps on the other (do your weakest leg first).
    Just a thought - not sure but worth a try.

Thank you - froglet has been a nickname of mine for years "Fit" is aspirational at the moment, I'm about 50lb overweight but getting there.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I am trying to do, just the dip and back up to start with, gradually taking it lower then building from there......If it starts to niggle my knees I'll leave it, try something else then come back to the lunge in a month or so.
    A few months ago I could barely squat so I know that persistence and taking it slowly does work. Not sure what it is about the lunge that makes it so hard on my knees.
  • FitFroglet
    Options
    It sounds like you have a really healthy approach to this: pushing yourself but not to the point of breaking.
    I'm sure that with your attitude you'll reach your goals :smile:
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Are your knees going too far forward over your toes?
  • mabelbabel1
    Options
    Are your knees going too far forward over your toes?

No they're not.