Teachers??

Options
This is the first summer I have not taught summer school. I have walked a lot bought myself a fitbit and am working on my eating choices. I have lost 10lbs this summer.

I am just beginning this journey and don't want going back to school/work to derail my life style change. How do I keep up with my water intake and not have to go to the restroom every passing period?

What tips do you have on routines I can do now that can help me later?

I know I will be learning once school starts and I have to find out what works so I can loose weight.

I have fit bit so I am going to find out how many steps I walk and try to gradually add some extra steps in there.

Stephanie

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What grade and subject do you teach?
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    With you, sister.

I have had the luxury of long walks while my kids were in summer school! I really worked hard and lost lots of weight. But in 3 weeks we all go back to school. I have been contemplating how to maintain my momentum once school starts. Here are my thoughts:

1. I will always have my last resort: getting up at 5:30 and doing a Jillian Michaels DVD in my basement. I should probably do this no matter what, but we'll see....

2. If you are a teacher you know that lunch is maybe 20 minutes so no time to exercise; most times I barely have enough time to pee in a school day! I have been thinking about walking after school, for as long as the weather will hold. I'm not totally keen on the idea of strutting my flab in the town I teach in, but I think it will work better than the alternatives.

3. Without trying, I would normally get 8,000 steps in at school, so in my world, 10,000 is not hard.

Once I work up enough courage I may go to some gym - rat colleagues and start lifting weights with them.

Oh yeah, and no clue with the water thing. I hate having my bathroom schedule dictated by the bell! It is the worst thing about teaching!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You have come to the right place! Track what you eat carefully every day, and keep adding steps!

Also, please go back and edit your spelling, or at least keep it a secret that you're a teacher.
  • Transforming_me
    Options
    This is the first summer I have not taught summer school. I have walked a lot bought myself a fitbit and am working on my eating choices. I have lost 10lbs this summer.

I am just beginning this journey and don't want going back to school/work to derail my life style change. How do I keep up with my water intake and not have to go to the restroom every passing period?

What tips do you have on routines I can do now that can help me later?

I know I will be learning once school starts and I have to find out what works so I can loose weight.

I have fit bit so I am going to find out how many steps I walk and try to gradually add some extra steps in there.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie! Great questions, I am a student teacher this year :) And I graduate in May. I also have a Fibit and found it has kept me SO MOTIVATED. I generally start my morning with a cup of water, and a cup of coffee, I hit the bathroom before I leave my house and then I head to school, get there within ten to fifteen minutes, get the classroom ready, and right before the kids unload the bus I run to the restroom. I then wait until they take a restroom break and have a teacher watch them for one minute while I use the restroom. I then head back into the classroom, do the same thing at lunch (while they eat, I have some time) and then during activity and my planning period. I recommend getting up just 15 minutes before you alarm and go for a quick walk. I love doing this and then heading into work. I also recommend drinking every 15 minutes, just take a sip or so. I do this when we transition into different subjects, etc. Let me know your thoughts? Feel free to e-mail me :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My summer routine and my school year routine are very different. Every fall it is an adjustment to get my workouts and my eating back into school year mode. Less free time = fewer workouts = fewer calories burned = less eating. The best I can tell you is
    -Figure out a weekly workout plan/schedule and stick to it, especially in the beginning. New routines take time to be come regular habits. It's very easy to fall into the trap of "I have too much work to do so I'll skip today's workout." But then one missed day becomes a week and it just snowballs from there. If you are walking regularly, maybe you can organize a group of your colleagues to walk with you either immediately before or after school.
    -I plan out all my lunches and snacks, and prep as much as possibly every Sunday. This includes chopping lots of vegetables for salads and snacks, and frequently precooking chicken or turkey.
    -I pre-log each day's food the night before. It helps me budget and stick to my calories.
    -I don't have a good answer for the water/bathroom thing other than working out an agreement with another teacher to help cover classes for bathroom breaks.

It's not easy, but I frequently remind myself that in the end I have more energy and I do a better job when I take the time to take care of myself.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Find other teachers who would meet with you either before or after school to get more steps in. Depending on your climate, after school might be better. :wink:

When I was teaching, I always had lemon water handy, without it, my throat would go dry from all of the talking. Fortunately, I taught kinder and always had an assistant so I could take potty breaks as needed. Really helped my last year since I was pregnant.

Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    What grade and subject do you teach?
    LOL
  • teach54
    teach54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My summer routine and my school year routine are very different. Every fall it is an adjustment to get my workouts and my eating back into school year mode. Less free time = fewer workouts = fewer calories burned = less eating. The best I can tell you is
    -Figure out a weekly workout plan/schedule and stick to it, especially in the beginning. New routines take time to be come regular habits. It's very easy to fall into the trap of "I have too much work to do so I'll skip today's workout." But then one missed day becomes a week and it just snowballs from there. If you are walking regularly, maybe you can organize a group of your colleagues to walk with you either immediately before or after school.
    -I plan out all my lunches and snacks, and prep as much as possibly every Sunday. This includes chopping lots of vegetables for salads and snacks, and frequently precooking chicken or turkey.
    -I pre-log each day's food the night before. It helps me budget and stick to my calories.
    -I don't have a good answer for the water/bathroom thing other than working out an agreement with another teacher to help cover classes for bathroom breaks.

It's not easy, but I frequently remind myself that in the end I have more energy and I do a better job when I take the time to take care of myself.

All of this is great advice!! I also pre-plan my dinners for the week (many crockpot meals as the weather gets colder) before grocery shopping on Sunday. This eliminates the last-minute trips to the store to get something needed to prepare that night's supper, and saves time and stress. I also suggest checking with your district's adult/community ed program. Mine usually offers some type of fitness classes (Zumba, etc.) in our building right after school at a time convenient for teachers. That saves having to drive to a gym somewhere later.
  • RosieVan5
    RosieVan5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    -Avoid the goodies in the teachers lounge. MIne is always full of sugar.
    -For water, I wake up an extra half hour early every morning to do a 20 minute Jillian Michael's workout (Ripped in 30, 30 Day Shred and Fast Fix Kick Boxing all are 20 minutes long) and drink three glasses of water before I leave the house/on my way to school. I arrive super hydrated and can use the bathroom when the kids come.
    -The biggest thing about teaching is that you can't eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty or go to the bathroom when you need to. Plus, it's emotionally draining at times. I put on a lot of weight as a result of my 2-4 PM snack whenever my kids went to specials. Keeping healthy snacks in my drawers instead made a world of difference.
    -I taught 5th grade and told my kids that I was trying to eat healthy and taught them nutrition. They became my watch dogs. I couldn't eat a chip withouth 30 pairs of eyes making me feel guilty.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Here's my recommendation for the High school teachers. You most likely have access to a fully stocked weight room. Check with the coaches if there is a time when it's not used by the students. Start lifting weights. I go down about half an hour after school gets out. This means I'm getting my workout in BEFORE I get home and want to pass out on the couch for the rest of the night.

Second recommendation. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day. It's filling, easy to make/purchase for the entire week at once and I can eat it all at once or in fits and starts throughout the day if I'm really busy. Here's what my food looks like:

Breakfast:
    2 hard boiled eggs
    1/2 container of fage 2% greek yogurt
    1 tbs honey
    1 apple
    20 oz coffee
    1/2 cup half and half
    2 tbs sugar

Lunch:
    PB&J on wheat
    2tbs PB and 2tbs jam
    Mini bag popcorn

Third recommendation for EVERYBODY new, READ THIS:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher too so i know the fear of school starting. First of all, congrats on your ten pound loss! That is wonderful! Here are my tips: 1. Tell every one you are on a weight loss journey. I did this and I found that I was offered less sweets. Even the kids broughtme fruit baskets for teacher appretiation. 2. Drink water all day long. I have a mini fridge and I keep it full of water. 3. Bring fruit and healthy veggies to snack on. Plan a healthy lunch to bring with you. 4. Create a work out schedule for the week and stick to it no matter what. Last year I worked out three evenings no matter what.
    Those are my tips. You may even be surprised to find that others decide to take this journey too.

Teachers, feel free to add me! I teach 5th grade math and science. Happy school year everyone!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    School starts for me on the 20th. Just going to force myself to wake up and do a 30-minute aerobics tape on mornings where I don't go for a run or lift weights at the gym. It's early, but worth it to me. I don't have children yet, so I am at an advantage. Otherwise, after school or during my prep period.

As for the peeing thing, I have no idea. I've lucked out two years in a row (b.r. across the hall and, this year, private restroom in my room. We have a funky, converted building. I drink coffee and water like mad in the a.m., so there's no getting around my mad peeing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink so much water that you're constantly visiting the bathroom. If your urine is clear or pale you don't need any more water. Drinking more than you need has no health benefit, and needing to use the bathroom during lesson times is a huge PITA you can do without. How much you need depends on how much you sweat. I have no idea why 8 glasses a day is recommended. In winter in a temperate climate for a lightly active person, it's too much. In summer for a moderately active person, or anyone in a tropical or subtropical climate, it's nowhere near enough. Adjust the amount you need to your situation - as a rule, the more you sweat the more you need to drink but bear in mind in a hot dry climate you may not realise you're sweating.

Also, pack all the food you need for the day. And I second the recommendation for the "your guide on your path to sexypants" thread.
  • meghan_lovely
    meghan_lovely Posts: 48 Member
    Options

All of this is great advice!! I also pre-plan my dinners for the week (many crockpot meals as the weather gets colder) before grocery shopping on Sunday. This eliminates the last-minute trips to the store to get something needed to prepare that night's supper, and saves time and stress. I also suggest checking with your district's adult/community ed program. Mine usually offers some type of fitness classes (Zumba, etc.) in our building right after school at a time convenient for teachers. That saves having to drive to a gym somewhere later.

All of this advice is fantastic!! I am a teacher and am also fearful of the school year getting into full swing because I know how crazy my schedule becomes and I often have trouble fitting in workouts. This last school year I did many of the suggestions above and I found it helped so much with my eating habits. Taking the time to plan ahead was 100% worth the effort. I feel like I have the eating under control now it is getting my butt to the gym!
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As a teacher one of the tricks i have found to do extra exercise is never sit down and teach.. I walk around the room...

I'm not sure just how your student's seats arrangement is but.... I put my class in a large circle (represented by the large green)... and I walk in that middle circle (orange)...

Another trick I use is I put a large round table (represented as red)... in the middle of my walk way... (for extra seating if I have a larger class or a place to put my books)... however, this table stops me from taking short cuts...

3circles.gif

most days I walk in the middle circle... however, on days I need extra work i walk on the outside of the circle... my students don't even notice I’m using it as a hamster wheel.... they think i'm just looking around....

I know this advice may not work for teachers in a large public school... however, since I work in a international private school my class sizes is normally limited to 15.... but in real life can be anywhere from 8 to 18
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Another trick I use is that I put healthy snacks in my class... such as a protein bar.. (that I precut to make snack size) and anytime i feel hungry or to keep me from eating something sweet... like a dougnut.... I take a bite of a chocolate protein bar...

donut4.jpg

i was suprised to see that a protein meal replacement bar...often have less calories then one doughnut...
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great advice above! I don't have much to add, just to echo what everyone says about developing your routine. When I was running more seriously 3 years ago, it was so hard for me to make myself put on my clothes and go out for a run at 5:00 after a LONG day of teaching. This time around, I'm going to try morning workouts. i'm used to getting up at 5, and I don't necessarily love it, but I think I can make it work for me.

Keep healthy non-perishable snacks in your desk: some almonds, dried fruit, protein bars, wheat crackers with PB...I am so easily drawn to all the free sweets in the lounge, but having my own healthy snacks helps. This year I think I'm going to bring a mini fridge for my classroom to keep some veggies and hummus and some yogurts in.