Recipes in UK/USA Measurements

Options
Fikinghell
Fikinghell Posts: 9 Member
Hi all,

I don't about you but this 'cup' measurement is well and truly got me stumped!! All the lovely recipes on here has '1 cup' this etc and I have no idea how much that is in UK terms?! I googled how much it is and got random amounts for ml and grams but having to figure it all out is just putting me off!

Does anyone out there have any easy tips that could help me overcome this obstacle? Maybe a rule of thumb?

Not got the money just now for buying the measuring set or I would do that.

I really would like to start trying more recipes as they look really good :happy:

Thanks for any help

Replies

• jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    depending on which recipe site you're on, a lot of them have the option to view the recipe in metric. If not sites like this are great http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A cup is a measure of volume. If you have a measuring jug, use 250 ml as one cup.
  • tranquility17
    tranquility17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You will find measuring cups/spoon sets in Poundland.

Some of the UK measuring jugs have cup measures on them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A cup is a measure of volume. If you have a measuring jug, use 250 ml as one cup.

237ml or something. Use that, but make sure to weigh it. Personally it REALLY irritates me when they use cups in recipes, as it doesn't mean anything.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Seeing as this is a American site then they would naturally put recipes in cups as it is their measurements like in England we use either lbs And oz or grams.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It irritates me, too. I'd either use a 250 ml cup and not fill it completely but weigh it for things like flour, or if it's somethings that's really annoying to put in a cup (like butter...), I use this converter: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions/grams/gram
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind there are 2 different cup measurements - one for liquids and one for dry solids.
  • rryawn
    rryawn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/531168/cups-to-grams-converter

This tools lets you select dry/liquid and the type and amount (in cups) from the US recipe, and gives you the UK equivalent.
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    interesting
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    mmh sorry i just don't look for recipes here... i google. much easier to find what fits my requirements.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend! When you need to convert something, go type in

"1 cup = ml"

and it'll pull up exactly how many mL are in one cup =)
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind there are 2 different cup measurements - one for liquids and one for dry solids.

Except it's different for each ingredient as well, since 'cup' is volume and 'g' is weight. For example 1 cup of oats is 90g, but 1 cup of flour is around 120g.

I just google 'cup to g *insert specific ingredient*' and find it that way. EG 'cup to g oats'. It gets annoying, but once you've done it the first time just keep a note of it somewhere so if you come across that ingredient in another recipe, you know how much 1 cup is.

The site someone posted above is good as it lists a variety of common ingredients, but for anything else just search specifically I guess.

ETA: this site comes up a lot in my googling. There are different calculators on the right hand side and it has more different/specific ingredients esp in the 'flour' and 'sugar' sections

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/flour_volume_weight.html
  • Fikinghell
    Fikinghell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links and all your comments guys!

I see there are some who feel my pain lol

The reason why I hate 'cup' as a measurement so for the very reason that it doesn't state liquid or solid so its very generic and confusing especially if you've got loads of ingredients to work out - I just don't bother!

I did google the 'cup to ml' thing its just too annoying when you're in from work and want to eat!! My laptop isn't always on when I cook as well so to do it, it takes way too much planning than it should be.

Yes, I get the point its an American website but its also a global website which is popular in several different countries who may need help with this too.

I shall see about the measuring cups in poundland it may be the answer and oh, my measuring jug says 'cups' on it too :)

Seems I just need to put up with it! Why can't the world agree on a unified measuring system?!?! So much simpler!!