Exercise vs Calories

Options
Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for a long time now. I was stupid at first and cut down my calories to an unhealthy level which provoked my body to go into starvation mode and I did not realize this. I was so upset I wasn't losing weight. I finally decided to use tools like Fitness Pal and saw that my daily calories should be 1700. I am finding it hard to eat this many calories and I feel like I should exercise too but I don't want my body going back to starvation mode.
My question is should someone exercise if they have not managed to consume all their daily calories?
Thank you. :smile:

Replies

• wheels_33
    Options
    when you set up your diary, it's based on your entered activity level and goals for weight loss. if you set it at highly active, then don't exercise, you might be eating more calories than needed since the amount given was determined by an assumed level of activity. if you have a level of low to no activity set, your daily total given will still be adjusted for the weight loss goal you set (1-2lbs per week)

when you exercise and track it in your diary, it will adjust your calories for the day. though, the concept of eating back exercise calories seems to be a subject of debate on these boards.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for a long time now. I was stupid at first and cut down my calories to an unhealthy level which provoked my body to go into starvation mode and I did not realize this. I was so upset I wasn't losing weight. I finally decided to use tools like Fitness Pal and saw that my daily calories should be 1700. I am finding it hard to eat this many calories and I feel like I should exercise too but I don't want my body going back to starvation mode.
    My question is should someone exercise if they have not managed to consume all their daily calories?
    Thank you. :smile:

I do occasionally if not frequently. But then some phenomenal eating days easily balance the equation. Just don't make it a habit to not properly fuel your exercise, or keep pushing yourself even though your body is clearly completely out of gas.

PS: starvation mode as you're thinking about it is not really a thing. If you were eating too little, I would wonder if there were days mixed in there when you were consuming a lot of calories - food, drink, condiments, all of the above. Barring any medical conditions, if you're consistently eating less calories than your body burns, you will lose weight. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and this will explain more on your previous attempts, and hopefully clarify things for you moving forward:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101
  • HarSty2194
    Options
    Thank you, that's helpful.