Traveling/ Maintaining

Options
I have been working on my weight loss for about 3 months now, I still have aways to go. I will be traveling all of next month consisting of mostly cross-country road trips. I will have many days of 12-15 hours of driving. I am not concerned with continuing my weight loss during my travels, just maintaining until I get back. I am not sure the best way to do this. How many calories should I be eating if I will be completely inactive for most days? I want to try to get in some exercise, but I will mostly be sleeping when I am not driving. Also, any ideas for easy and healthy car food would be very helpful! Thank you all!

Replies

• riobella
    riobella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainer says one burns 1250-1400 calories just to survive. You might want to use some protein bars like Quest, Kind and Think Thin. At least you'll have some varied flavors.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    My trainer says one burns 1250-1400 calories just to survive.

Depends on a person's BMR. The upper range is much higher than 1400 calories. I'd burn about 1800 calories a day if I were in a coma.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, use fooducate or a similar app to help you make snack choices. Bring quest bars etc.
    Or, like we did, declare "no fast food across america". It's a great way to see the country, and affords you many more food choices.
    Good luck!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, use fooducate or a similar app to help you make snack choices. Bring quest bars etc.
    Or, like we did, declare "no fast food across america". It's a great way to see the country, and affords you many more food choices.
    Good luck!

That sounds like a great approach. Try all the mom and pop restaurants and cafes. You take more time to travel, but it's better than eating at McDonalds!
  • Phaedra_27
    Phaedra_27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have any particularly great advice on this, but I feel your frustration and know it's hard to stay on track on vacation! Just try to make good choices--most restaurants usually have a "healthy options" category and when in doubt, order a salad with light dressing and some grilled chicken :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have been working on my weight loss for about 3 months now, I still have aways to go. I will be traveling all of next month consisting of mostly cross-country road trips. I will have many days of 12-15 hours of driving. I am not concerned with continuing my weight loss during my travels, just maintaining until I get back. I am not sure the best way to do this. How many calories should I be eating if I will be completely inactive for most days? I want to try to get in some exercise, but I will mostly be sleeping when I am not driving. Also, any ideas for easy and healthy car food would be very helpful! Thank you all!

Change your mfp settings to maintenance and that will give you your baseline calorie requirement.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Low carb snacks ? :)
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I used to travel via car a lot, I would typically have breakfast somewhere, for lunch have a granola bar or something, and have dinner somewhere. I found I didn't really get hungry midday because of all the sitting and sleeping in thhe van. Maybe try packing granola, dried fruit, nuts, etc as midday food?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Reset your MFP goals (under the "settings" tab) to maintain to see what your maintenance calorie limit is. Use this amount to gauge your foods while on vacation. Use this time as a "test" to see how well you eyeball portions and choose wisely. You're learning tools to help you make healthy choices through life. Use this time to see how much you've learned and where your weak points still are.

You will do great and come back fully refreshed. Have a wonderful vacation.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been travelling for nearly 12 months and It can be hard as part of the enjoyment is different food etc., I tried to stay with the same food stuffs, buying my regular stuff from local shops, logging and doing some exercise too - even it's just walking. Many folks have mentioned low cal or bars. Yep - I used to keep a number in my bag all the time - easy to have with a café or at a stop.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You could just change your setting to "sedentary" and continue as usual?