August Challenge: Gain 1lb of Muscle -4lbs Bf Possible?

Options
Can i gain a pound a lb of muscle while trying to loose 4 lbs with enough protein and lifting in my diet . Is that a realistic enough goal ?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your body fat%? Calipers? Handheld thingie at a gym?

As a 21 yo male, it seems like it's possible. You'd need to eat a goodly amount of protein and consume 350 calories less per day than you use throughout your day. Do you know your TDEE? What's your lifting plan?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Not unless you're on gear.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound realistic to me at all. Most people are lucky to gain 0.5 lbs of muscle per week while gaining weight and eating at a surplus. Trying to gain muscle while eating at a deficit is a pipe dream.
  • Brandonalex15
    Brandonalex15 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i do full body workouts 5 times 20 sets per session a week and cardio everyday for 30 min body fat is between 16-20% i weigh 164 maintainance calories are 2300-2500 ?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    i do full body workouts 5 times 20 sets per session a week and cardio everyday for 30 min body fat is between 16-20% i weigh 164 maintainance calories are 2300-2500 ?

None of that is relevant. If you are eating at a surplus you will gain fat and gain muscle. If you are eating at a deficit you will lose fat and lose muscle. If you are eating at maintenance you will maintain your weight but it's possible to gain muscle and lose fat if you're lifting, and eating enough protein, but recomping at maintenance is painfully slow. Choose to either bulk or cut and be realistic...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Most people find it's easier to alternate cycles of cutting and bulking, since it's easiest to add muscle when you're in a caloric surplus. But people new to lifting sometimes add a little muscle at first. Are there trainers at your gym who can help you learn how to use the heavy weights?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound realistic to me at all. Most people are lucky to gain 0.5 lbs of muscle per week while gaining weight and eating at a surplus. Trying to gain muscle while eating at a deficit is a pipe dream.
    I hope you mean "0.5 lbs of muscle a month" and not a week. Even on gear and a surplus, you won't gain 0.5 lbs of muscle a week.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I hope you mean "0.5 lbs of muscle a month" and not a week. Even on gear and a surplus, you won't gain 0.5 lbs of muscle a week.

Haha sorry, I meant most people shoot for 0.5 pounds of weight gain a week when bulking, not muscle gain, my bad.