Tried Hard – Failed

Options
This week, I have exercised to the tune of 50minutes a day of walking, and playing golf, plus working in garden and shifting heavy boxes as part of a move, Iv eaten much better this week (though I didnt log anything) Iv cut down portions, avoided carbs and eaten nice healthy stuff as recommended by weight watchers book.

I know I have changed shape because my belt has gone down a notch and all my trousers fall down. yet Iv put on 4lbs. even with the best will in the world it would be hard to put on that much, thats a big number.

Since my progress is monitored by my friend, who genuinely cares, he thinks Im cheating the system and pigging out on bad food. I really havent this week. Iv just eaten less, exercised much more and not been hungry. Drunk loads of water will my pee is running clear, and cut right down on tea.

All Im really sayin, I suppose, is am I doing the right stuff, what is going wrong, will it get right? Do I need to go to the doctors?

Bit depressed really, and I was really lookig forward to the weigh in, I have now planned the week to get up early and do one hour walking and one hour in evening and exercise where I can.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It might help if you logged your food, that way you'll know for sure that you're eating at a deficit. What's your calorie goal per day?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Unless you massively pigged out this week, that's likely water weight. However, if you want to see consistent results, you're probably going to need to log your calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your belt has gone down a notch, thats awesome! Congrats!! Don't worry bout the scale, its probably water. You're doing fantastic, keep up the good work!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    A few things from your post:
    - its only been a week, give it time
    - you didn't log anything - how do you know you're in a calorie deficit if you're not logging?
    - If you've recently increased activity then its likely that the 4lbs are water weight
    - there's really no such thing as good or bad food, its all food - log what you eat, eat under your calorie goal (or points or whatever with WW) and the weight will shift.

Read the Sexypants thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd be celebrating if my belt went down a notch in a week!

You did a good job - congratulations :)
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One week is not enough time to judge. You made progress - your pants fit better. Not all victories are by the scale. Start logging. Even though in your mind you are eating "healthy," you just don't know for sure unless you log it accurately.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    - you didn't log anything - how do you know you're in a calorie deficit if you're not logging?
    - If you've recently increased activity then its likely that the 4lbs are water weight
    - there's really no such thing as good or bad food, its all food - log what you eat, eat under your calorie goal (or points or whatever with WW) and the weight will shift.

Read the Sexypants thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^^^ THIS

you had a week full of WIN

Belt down a notch. Eating better. Finding activity you enjoy. drinking more water. Pretty damn excellent progress if you ask me. And you did - ask that is : ) stay consistent. Stay on course. Quit obsessing over the scale. Read the thread posted here for you.
    GET AFTER IT!!!

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Everything I wanted to say. :drinker:
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The title of your post should be "tried hard, lost belly fat". Congrats, keep it up!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail.

You moved, you ate better and your shrank.....that is a success.

Unless you write your scale weight on your forehead, nobody will know how you weight. Give it more than one week.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the eating part matters more than the exercise part. It's a chore but weighing and logging you food intake really matters (and then you can prove to your friend that you're not cheating.)
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the rest you need to log to know for sure and you say you have drunk lodes of water so it is probably water retention. If your belt has dropped a notch you're doing something right so dont be too hard on yourself and definitely don't give up just start to log your food properly and see what happens over the next week.
  • sifu33
    sifu33 Posts: 34
    Options
    Everyone, you are so kind and supportive, Iv started logging this week, and so far its as I expected, but also cracked out long walk this morning, Im going for some activity this evening sprinting and running alternately to get cardio burst, and later in week booked for playing squash. Im adamant Im going to win.

And also you are right, Im hung up on the negative of not losing weight but actually there were many positives in my statement, I just couldnt see them, so now Im going to crack on and find positives and ignore negativity. Watch out for me, so I dont slip back that will be a hard habit to break. However, rules are made to be broken and I wont be diverted.

Thank you very much people, here is one appreciative guy.

Paul