How to calculate kcal for inline skating?

Options
Hi there, I have a question!

Until now, I did not really bother with counting the kcal I burned with exercise, as it is only for getting some muscles and it's not for being able to eat more kcal.
But I'm just curious:

I'm a 5'5 (165 cm) high female, I weight about 130lb (59 kg). I was inline skating for 30 minutes, a distance about 8,5 - 9 km, steady driving, no hills and no tales.

How would I calculate with these factores? I don't really trust the mfp calculator here (the system shows 2 kinds of inline skating with nearly double of a difference in burned kcal!) and when I googled it, there were no differences in how fast you are or how much you weight, either.

And I'm pretty sure I burned way more kcal than my sister would, who rides much slower than I do; but on the other hand someone who is used to sport and can drive faster (and therefore a longer distance in the same time, with a higher pulse) would propably burn more again than I did.

I don't know if there exists a kind of formula or anything like this so I thought I'd ask around, just because I'm curious.
Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had wondered the same thing because I was roller skating with my son on the weekend :D
    I saw the two options but there was a massive difference between the two.
    Maybe this can be of assistance... http://www.iisa.org/resources/health.htm
    You can calculate your average calories burned from the graph with your weight and speed etc.

Good luck
  • scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! I use the endomondo app on my iphone. There is a skating setting and it measures your speed outside via GPS.
  • katttt13
    Options
    Every site I check to get the calories it always gives me a different amount and its drastic. One says 700 another says 200. I would love to know if anyone finds a reliable way to figure out how many calories are burned as well.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables in play that all any site can do is estimate ... even those that factor in heart rate. Trial and error for the courses you skate.