Fruits and Veggies

Options
Anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate fruits and veggies into your day? I am not keen on vegetables, but I will eat some. I am always running around, and I almost never cook. I like recipes and ways to eat veggies and fruits in as few groupings as possible. Thanks in advance! Feel free to add me!

Replies

• lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love love love those mini sweet peppers. they even come in a grab and go bag
  • mollyann34
    mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruits and veggies.. mostly raw, steamed, or roasted. I find that including a scoop of green powder (I personally use Garden of Life Perfect Food Chocolate flavor) with my peanut butter, coconut milk, and banana smoothie in the morning, that's a great start! Look into a greens powder or just throw in a bunch of greens/fruit in a smoothie at least once a day! Good Luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Explain what you mean by few groupings.

Would you eat a fresh apple with some pecans?

How about two cut up fresh tomatoes with salt, pepper, and lemon juice?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Something I like is to go into the fridge, pull out a tomato, and eat it.

Another one, go into the fridge and pull out a carrot to eat it.

another is to make a salad. Taste the rainbow. Eat the rainbow.

tl;dr: Make salads.
  • FreddotheChocolateFrog
    Options
    Omelette - use a covered frying pans, a little olive oil, chop up loads of veg (onion, runner beans, peppers, celery, peas) then when smelling good a couple of beaten eggs. If you dont have a lid just put a large plate over the top, cooks evenly then.

Stirfry, again chopped up veg and some prawns.

Slow cook vegetable, chicken or cheap cut of meat. Wilko are selling a 1.5litre one (suitable for 1 or 2 people) for £8 at the moment.
    And if you choose frozen vegetables there is no waste.
  • mroo2014
    mroo2014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a great way to get anywhere up to 6 portions (or more!) fruits/veg in one go :)

Otherwise try mix them in with your protein/carbs when you're cooking (like a stir fry).
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Try pizza. You barely have to cook--you can even use an English muffin for the crust. Some mushrooms, tomato sauce, maybe a tomato slice....and cheese.
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And by groupings, I meant instead of literally eating fruits and veggies 5 times a day, finding a way to put it in one big thing or eat them all at once.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    When I was young I introduced veggies through the medium of pizza. You could make your own if you want to actually control calories by doing it!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I make a big honking salad for dinner... all the lettuce and veggies you want, (today I had lettuce, cucumber,carrots, tomato, red onion, broccoli, red pepper) 1/2 cup chickpeas for protein (or meat) feta cheese, and dressing. It's a salad big enough for 4 and fills the salad serving bowl, for about 400 calories. I roast the onions and peppers, steam the broccoli- tastes amazing but can be left raw. I eat it all for dinner, and that's all the veggies I eat for the day, unless I snack on raw veggies with hummus. I change up the veggies depending on what I have on hand.
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Slice up an apple and dip the slices in peanut butter. Easy snack for a sweet tooth. You can also put the apple slices in a jar with a tablespoon of orange juice - that way the apple slices don't get brown, and they're portable. I got this tip from my doctor.

Put hot sweet cherry peppers on your sandwich. I get mine from Trader Joe's and I put them on everything because they're delicious.

Chop up some tomatoes and roasted bell peppers (and hot cherry peppers) along with some minced garlic, cook it in a sauce pan on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, and use that as spaghetti sauce. Eat a side salad of baby spring mix, arugula, and pine nuts on the side.

Have a couple of clementines and a cup of grapes along with your breakfast bagel-egg sandwich or oatmeal or scrambled eggs, like I did this morning. This is becoming a habit so that when I don't have multiple fruits with my breakfast, it doesn't feel like I really had breakfast.

Make Thai salad rolls like these: http://cookieandkate.com/2012/summer-rolls-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/

Hope this helps! Those salad rolls are NOM.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Wraps.... Fill with all kinds of veggies, maybe hummus, roll up and you are done. Also throw some kind of protein or I like shredded cheese.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Eat raw veggies. Way to easy to wash and chop and throw in a ziplock bag.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And by groupings, I meant instead of literally eating fruits and veggies 5 times a day, finding a way to put it in one big thing or eat them all at once.

Tonight at dinner I had a chopped veggies plate, and a bowl of fruit. I got a lot of servings in, in one sitting I guess.. I chopped them all up while my fish was cooking. But if you don't like to cook.... you could buy the pre-chopped fruit and veggie trays at the grocery store. That's what I did in college. Expensive, but I ate more fruits and veggies that way and felt better!

And this
    Eat raw veggies. Way to easy to wash and chop and throw in a ziplock bag.

Pre-making baggies as soon as you get home from the grocery store. Convenience is the key to eating more I believe.
  • niyohn
    niyohn Posts: 9
    Options
    The way how Thai and Vietnamese people get around this is that they add spicy, sour, and sweet falvoring to their veggies. Take a look at cooking some Viet or Thai food, they really good at making veggies taste good it is ridiculous..

You can cut down on the oil or use olive oil to make it low on Cholesterol.
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your ideas!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate fruits and veggies into your day? I am not keen on vegetables, but I will eat some. I am always running around, and I almost never cook. I like recipes and ways to eat veggies and fruits in as few groupings as possible. Thanks in advance! Feel free to add me!

I generally cut them up, put them in my mouth and chew.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I chop tomato and cucumber, add 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, cilantro and hot sauce....it's my go to lunch. I also Blanche snow peas and green beans for salads and snacks.
    Roasted veggies are so easy...zucchini, peppers, mushrooms eggplant, toss with olive oil and roast for 25 minutes. This is good room temp or hot.
    Roasted asparagus or roasted Brussels sprouts are great.
    There are so many things you can do besides salads!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I detest veggies!
    My solution is either a veggie smoothie where I just blend up a gallon of various fruits and veggies mixed with whole, raw milk or alone. I drink 2 gallons per week.
    I had to accept that I am never going to eat veggies with meals - EVER!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I snack on cherry tomatoes, sliced bell peppers and sliced cucumber. I do lots of chopping twice a week and keep a Tupperware container full at work so that every day I have veggies to munch on.