Stevia vs. Splenda

Options
What are the differences between Stevia and Splenda? Either one better than the other? Taste? Nutritional value?

Replies

• MaySunrise
    MaySunrise Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know as well, and what about Truvia?
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have both in my cabinet....I really don't care for Truvia, wish I did cause it was expensive, I tend to do splenda or equal.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Stevia (and doesn't come from sugar) is a natural sweetener and Splenda is an artifical sweetener. At least I think Stevia is natural. Haven't tried it.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a natural sweetener. Splenda is not. Truvia is a form of Stevia. Splenda is made from sugar but it's chemically altered.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Stevia is a natural sweetener. Splenda is not. Truvia is a form of Stevia.

thanks
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i researched this not to long ago. Splenda is made from sugar, and stevia and truvia are made from the stevia plant. i personally like the taste of the truvia, it doesnt have as much of an after taste (this goes for the stevia as well).
  • AreneeS22
    AreneeS22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Stevia is actually a natural sweetner because it comes from a plant, whereas splenda is an artificial sweetner... I stay away from artificial sweetners. My body cant tollerate them and it makes me sick, but from all the reading I've done on them I also dont think artificial sweetners are very good for you either... but, thats just my opinion. If you're looking for a sugar alternative I would stick with a natural substitue like stevia...
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd go with stevia...natural is always better and dont get the junk it the store its awful....they have stevia online that has had the bitterness removed and 1/4 teaspoon is super sweet.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Stevia to me has an awful taste, I use one called ideal 99% natural and 0 calories.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight...i always thought that Splenda was natural because it's a sugar derivative?!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight...i always thought that Splenda was natural because it's a sugar derivative?!

Please read this: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

"Splenda is the trade name for sucralose, a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation."

Molecularly, it's got chlorine atoms instead of hydroxyl groups. That makes it unrecognizable by the body as "food". Only about 15% of it is absorbed by your intestines.

Do you want to eat chlorine?
  • ltlfox
    ltlfox Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Please read this: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

"Splenda is the trade name for sucralose, a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation."

Molecularly, it's got chlorine atoms instead of hydroxyl groups. That makes it unrecognizable by the body as "food". Only about 15% of it is absorbed by your intestines.

Do you want to eat chlorine?

Unless you eat ZERO salt, you're consuming chlorine atoms every day. Salt is sodium chloride.
    Even if you do eat absolutely no salt, you still consume chlorine daily.

Regardless, I understand the claim they are making with regard to the type of bond it forms. However, I think that it is inappropriate to try to scare people with pseudo-scientific false statements like "do you want to eat chlorine"? On the other hand, I also think people should be wary enough to do the research themselves to validate questions like these... but most people aren't.