Anyone got food tips for a poor college student?

Options
I'm going back to school in a few weeks and am trying to plan out meals that are easy, cheap and healthy. Preferably with very few ingredients. I have limited access to a stove/oven and will have a fridge and microwave in my room.

Any other tips like storage, things to buy would be great :D

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    You can buy dried beans very cheap and cook them in large batches on the stove with rice or veggies or both then they keep for several days in the fridge.

Of course you'll have to soak them overnight, so you'll have to find a place to store them, but otherwise, you can't get much cheaper and easier.
  • lcangelini
    lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can buy dried beans very cheap and cook them in large batches on the stove with rice or veggies or both then they keep for several days in the fridge.

Of course you'll have to soak them overnight, so you'll have to find a place to store them, but otherwise, you can't get much cheaper and easier.

Thanks!
  • missrobeena
    missrobeena Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're allowed to have one in your room, maybe you can get a rice cooker. Rice is super cheap, fills you up, and is so easy to mix with other things to make it tasty.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here's some of the stuff I used to eat back in those days:

Tuna- cheap, don't need to cook. Get the packets, then you don't have to worry about draining it.
    Oatmeal- cheap and easy to make in the microwave.
    Lunch meats, cheese, peanut butter, jelly, bread = sandwiches, cheap and easy.
    Fruit can be expensive, but sometimes you can get bananas and apples for cheap.
    Bagels and cream cheese for a quick/easy breakfast.
    Yogurts & granola bars for snacking.