Supplements?

Options
Are supplements something I should consider while on my weight loss journey? I don't know much about them and I don't know if they will help me or just be useless.

Replies

• cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well female on limited diet should take something like OsCal (calcium) and you should take a good multiple vitamin, I don't think you need a bunch of special things but that's my opinion
  • virginiabea
    Options
    That depends entirely on what your goals are. In general, "fat burner" or "weight loss" pills are crap. Apple Cider, Raspberry Ketones, Goji Extract, blah blah blah - all crap. Protein supplements have their place when you're trying to build/preserve muscle, or just increase protein intake (I struggle to get 130g a day from just food sources). Multivitamins are good if your diet isn't super balanced. Fiber supplements (like psyllium husk) are good for regularity, if regularity is a problem or you're eating a lot of protein.

So the TL;DR is, what are you trying to accomplish?
  • VanessaVegana
    VanessaVegana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to lose weight and become healthier. I am vegetarian so I have noticed from logging my foods that I don't get nearly enough iron or protein that I should be getting. I don't have any health problems but I don't want to develop one from a protein or iron deficit. Should a multivitamin and protein powder be enough?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    B12 if you don't eat a lot of eggs and foods enriched with it, then. Also a lot of people in the nutrition field recommend vitamin D, since so many of us don't get enough sun to make our own.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know a good multi without iron in it? Been trying to find one without much success for a few years now.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know a good multi without iron in it? Been trying to find one without much success for a few years now.

Honestly I don't think it exists. You can get a multi with iron in it but the general consensus seems to be that if you are actaully really needing the supplementation of iron you have to take a separate iron tablet.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to lose weight and become healthier. I am vegetarian so I have noticed from logging my foods that I don't get nearly enough iron or protein that I should be getting. I don't have any health problems but I don't want to develop one from a protein or iron deficit. Should a multivitamin and protein powder be enough?

If possible head to your Doctor for some blood work. Then you'll know for sure what you need to supplement. It's not reccommended to supplement iron if you don't actually need it. As per my comment about, if you are iron-defficient you'll need to take a separate iron tablet as the iron contained in the multis is either an insufficient dose or not the right form for bioavailability (can't remember which). I don't eat red meat and was diagnosed with annemia a year or so ago and take iron tabs twice a day with vit c to help with absorption.

Yes, a protein powder is a good way to supplement protein if you can't get it from dietry sources
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    That depends entirely on what your goals are. In general, "fat burner" or "weight loss" pills are crap. Apple Cider, Raspberry Ketones, Goji Extract, blah blah blah - all crap. Protein supplements have their place when you're trying to build/preserve muscle, or just increase protein intake (I struggle to get 130g a day from just food sources). Multivitamins are good if your diet isn't super balanced. Fiber supplements (like psyllium husk) are good for regularity, if regularity is a problem or you're eating a lot of protein.

So the TL;DR is, what are you trying to accomplish?
    THIS. 90% of supplements bought on the market today aren't needed by the buyer.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for one without iron because my hemoglobin counts are high but my doc wants me on a multi.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Honestly I don't think it exists. You can get a multi with iron in it but the general consensus seems to be that if you are actaully really needing the supplementation of iron you have to take a separate iron tablet.

Many of the gummy vitamins don't have iron with it.

I'll take iron separately 1-2x a week. Trying to take it daily makes me ill which is why I eat those without the iron.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Many of the gummy vitamins don't have iron with it.

I'll take iron separately 1-2x a week. Trying to take it daily makes me ill which is why I eat those without the iron.

Gummies are the best. For me I like it because I can just eat it, instead of taking a big horse pill. Lol. Its just easier.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

Just buy a green drink.. problem solved.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are, I take a multi-vitamin and vitamin D daily, outside of that I take BCAAs and glutamine when cutting, when bulking.... well that's a whole other story.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I take One a day for women since I wasn't hitting my iron.