Recommendations for HRM and how do I use the thing?

Options
Need some recommendations for the best HRM and how do I use it. I don't understand how it calculates calories? I was told to get one with the chest strap......so much to still learn.......

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, i recommend the polar ft4 hrm. It's easy to use. It comes with instructions :)
    it has a chest strap, so it's better for accuracy.
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I have a Polar FT 4 or 6 can't remember. Mine has the chest strap. I think you have to wear it one day when you are NOT working out so that it can calculate the normal heart rate. After that, you can calculate calories burned, time doing workout. I love mine. It is super easy and my mom just got one exactly like it for Christmas. She has had the other ones that are super complicated and she loves the Polar one.

Just my 2cents worth. Welcome to MFP
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hi! After much research, I bought the FT4 Polare HRM. I have been using it since Saturday, and LOVE IT! it does have a chest strap (gives you a more accurate reading on your heart beat). How to use - well, start it up and go! That's what I do. It's a great training tool.

You can even invest in the FT7 Polar which tells you where your zone is (cardio or fat burning). It even tells you how you did in the week and if your progressing in your fitness levels.

Settings In the HRM will ask your age, weight and height. This helps to calculate how many calories you burn as it's reading your heartbeat.
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    I am using the Polar FT4 w/chest strap, I got it on Ebay for $49.99. But go on polarusa.com and look at all the different ones, they give you features and such to help you make a decision on one. Cause you don't want one that does too many things that is not needed and get frustrated and not use it. Mine does a recording of your workout and tells you your highs and lows and calories burned etc..(you input your stats before you start, that is how it tracks your calories burned). With mine I got on the Eliptical and the treadmill at the gym, and it automatically picked it up and put my HR on the screen.. It was cool...
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 with chest strap. It will keep track of daily, weekly and monthly totals, heart rate zones and beeps at you when you are not in the right zone!
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Need some recommendations for the best HRM and how do I use it. I don't understand how it calculates calories? I was told to get one with the chest strap......so much to still learn.......

Hey! Well, I have a watch HRM by sportline and it's actually pretty good. The bodybugg is the most accurate, to me, becasue it uses certain sensors to calculate the heat from your body. When you workout, your muscles extract heat, and that heat is used by the body bugg, plus it can sense how much you sweat to see how active you are, to calculate your caloric loss. Here is more information on the body bugg. Go to bodybugg.com for more info on it, as well.

The bodybugg system uses a patented process to measure calorie burn.
    The process is based on:

Motion: The armband contains an accelerometer that measures motion from multiple perspectives.
    Steps: The accelerometer counts steps by measuring the distinct patterns created by running or walking.
    Galvanic skin response: When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This measurement helps the device understand how active you are.
    Skin temperature: There’s an electronic thermometer inside your armband that monitors how hot you are.
    Heat flux: When you move, your muscles produce heat. Your armband measures the heat that’s flowing from your body into the environment.

The HRM that i use is from the brand Sportline and I bought it from walmart, it has sensors that measures your pulse, the only thing is that you need to press the HRM button once in a while while you workout so the calculation is accurate. Here is the link for it: http://www.walmart.com/ip/S7-HR-Monitor/10719753

Hope this helps. I'm actually trying to change to the body bugg =]
  • 3trees
    3trees Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use a HR monitor that works with my Garmin 305 GPS running watch - not practical as just a HRM. Not recommended for that, although I have slept with it on to find my resting heart rate. I generally use it to make sure I'm not overdoing it during a run. It does NOT calculate calories burned.

I'm also a body bugg user. I wear it all the time now. It is really helping me, since it keeps track of calories burned throughout the entire day, not just during the workout. It continues to give values that seem low during my spin classes, but seems to be correct during my runs. Not sure what's up with that. But overall I really like it since I can see how I'm doing at around 4pm and adjust my evening activities to make sure I reach my 'calorie burn' for the day. Speaking of which...I need to burn a few more calories now. :)