i must be doing something wrong...

Options
so this is week 2 for me. my first week i lost 7 pounds! but i am pretty sure it was all water weight as i never used to drink the stuff and drink at least 60 oz a day now. this morning i weighed for my weekly check in and only lost .7 pounds!!!! now, i know that people plateau when they are dieting but, in week 2? this is telling me that i have lost 7 lbs of water and nothing else since being on this diet. i am following it correctly. working hard on my workouts...and not even consuming all of the calories that i "earned" from exercising because i believe that they are a lot little over anyway. (they say i burned 350 calories on the bike, the bike tells me i burned 100) am i doing something wrong? i am trying to not get frustrated and today i have started measuring too and not just weighing to see if i lose inches but, i still dont get it. i feel better and healthier mainly because im not eating fried junk or a 12 pack of diet soda a day and i have noticed my clothes are fitting more comfortably, but again....water weight can do funny things to your body. i dont know. trying not to get frustrated, but still thinking, i must be doing something wrong...

Replies

• Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you search under posts under my name I wrote a small article about plateau's, stalls and the death process of cells. Its very normal for the fat cells to fight to stay alive by retaining water. Fight water with water! Keep drinking and pushing. Week 3 will be a better week. Change up your foods and keep the water and cardio going. You'll move!
  • KittyKat213
    Options
    Always use the figures from the machine you are using rather than the default ones on the site. It is much more likely to be accurate as it knows exactly what speed you have done etc etc. Other than that, just keep at it! If you watch The Biggest Loser they always say week 2 is the hardest. I'm not sure of the logistics behind that but it seems to be an accepted fact.

And if you feel better and your clothes are fitting better you must be doing something right ....

Good luck :smile:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Its not uncommon to have a lower weight loss in the second week after a big weight loss in the first week. Don't give up! I'm sure next week is going to be better. Keep drinking your water... You will see your weight will begin to melt off!

I know how frustrating it is to work your absolute hardest and not get anywhere... but you will see it will pay off
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Always use the figures from the machine you are using rather than the default ones on the site. It is much more likely to be accurate as it knows exactly what speed you have done etc etc.

I disagree, If you don't have a HRM use the lowest number of the site or the machine

only some of the 7 lbs would have been water not all and 0.7 in the second week is not bad. MFP suggests 1 lb/week is healthy weight loss but will allow you to go to 2 lbs.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You may also be gaining muscle rather than losing weight at this time, because muscle weighs more than fat this could explain you small weight loss. On a good note you have add measuring in and your clothes are feeling different so that alone is fabulous. Keep it up it will work out :smile:
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    It's always easy that first week! Losing .7 the second it not bad at all! This should be a lifestyle change (hopefully) and not a crash diet. Some weeks I don't lose, some I gain (especially if I eat a lot of salt, drink booze or go over calories) but it all evens out!
    Hang in there! Even HOLDING at your losses is a gain sometimes I believe.
    Keep drinking water, increase exercise each week and make sure you are watching the salt.
    GOOD LUCK
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    .7 is almost a 1lbs loss. And water or not the 7lbs isn't back this week. So you have achieved a 3.85lbs loss per week. That's wonderful, not terrible. Not only can you do this you ARE doing this. Keep your eye on the big picture not the little one. You have lost 7.7lbs in 2 weeks, I'm so happy for you, congratulations, you are doing great.

Good luck on your journey.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week 3 and had the same thing happen in week 2. I lost almost 4 lbs. in week 1 and like half a lb or less in week 2. I think that first week is such a shock to our bodies we lose a lot and then things start to balance out in week 2. Just trust in yourself and stay motivated by the fact that you ARE doing things right (eating healthier, drinking more water, and exercising....all good things) and the scale will catch up. Like I said this is week 3 for me and I am already noticing other benefits such as having so much energy I feel hyper (and I'm not taking any kind of supplements other than a daily vitamin) and I am just happy...for no special reason! It's good that you are taking measurements so you have another way to track your progress but stay committed to your goal no matter what the numbers are saying...they will catch up! Good luck you are doing great!
  • lmbuf
    lmbuf Posts: 1
    Options
    Where are you getting the "water weight" thing...3500 calories equal a pound of fat...so you are telling me that you lost 7 lbs. and you decreased your calories enough to lose 7 lbs. and somehow that is not good enough...2 weeks 7 lbs....I think you have to give yourself a break and get real about what is happening in your body....if you are frustrated now what will happen when you are 10 pounds from your goal weight and it starts coming off REALLY slow...change your mindset lose the inches...I promise. consider these comments tough love LOL
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    You are doing great! Keep at it and you will see a shift. :D
  • julluv
    julluv Posts: 27
    Options
    Wow its almost like I wrote this lol! I lost 6lbs the first week and .7lbs this week. I have been feeling the same as you! This is my second week and i figured the lbs would be melting off just like the first week! I couldn't understand what I did wrong! But now reading your post and the awesome responses I feel so much better! Maybe there is something to this 2nd week stall! Thanks so much everyone!!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    You definitely are not doing anything wrong! Just try to keep your NET calories right near your daily calorie goal. As far as the number on the machines vs. the number MFP gives you, MFP may be generous, but it is probably going to be closer to what you've burned because it has all your information. Your height, weight, gender, etc. The machine at the gym doesn't have that info. If you are heavy, you've probably burned more calories than what the machine says. Invest in a heart rate monitor, program with all your stats and it will track how hard your heart is working, and how long you're in that calorie burning mode, and will be much more accurate as to what you've actually burned.

And keep up the good work!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    check out my progress. I did same first week, then average about .4lb per day after. Can be water retention, check your sodium, or everyone's pattern of weight loss is different. You might just have a pattern of losing a few pounds, then a few ounces, then a few pounds, a few ounces. Losing weight is work for your body and I notice mine needs little breaks to adjust, which is why I weigh myself daily, so I know what's going on. However it is controversial to weigh yourself daily because it can lead to being perfectionistic and OCD about it. I do it purely for researching my own trends. Also, make sure you're being on top of logging your diet, I sometimes surprise myself with the calorie content of a little taste of this or that.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    thank you all very much for the encouragment. i think my day just started off bad and its getting better now. i know it is a long journey and a life style change and it wont happen over night. it doesnt help that i dont have this kind of encouragment at home. but, im glad i have ya'll to help me get there :) good luck to all of you as well!
  • Fat_girl_gonna_be_slim
    Options
    Me too 4lbs in week 1 and not a sausage in week 2 two days into week 3 and ive lost a 1lb... keep going I promise those scales will move :)