Hints & Tips for a beginner

Gaz_1979
Gaz_1979 Posts: 3
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I have started running, going to try 3 times a week. its on a woodland track around a local mountain, roughly 2 miles on the shorter track to begin with. I am finding it hard, but I will persevere! I would like any hints & tips from any runners out there that could help me as a beginner. thanks

Replies

• Build up slowly, it takes time and patience to increase endurance, distance and speed but you will get there eventually. Make small goals weekly for increasing. If you try to do too much too fast you WILL injure yourself. Start by doing running/walking intervals, and slowly increasing the running.
    Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes, most important piece of equipment and well worth investing some money into.
    I love running, it is a great thing for your mind and body!
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Totally agree with aschultz9. And starting with 2 miles is great! Shoes are so important so make sure you have a good pair, especially if you're running on rougher terrain. You can get specific trainers for that which support your ankles properly.
    I'd focus on time to begin with, so, for example, setting yourself a goal of running for 10, 20, 30 minutes (depending on your fitness level), taking it nice and slow and slowing down to a power walk for a minute or so if you need to but focussing on building up your exercise time. Also, make sure you're running with good form - shoulders back and relaxed, standing nice and straight to prevent any pain.

Good luck! You'll be pleasantly surprised to see how rapidly you improve :smile:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Make sure you warm up and stretch your muscles properly. If you feel a muscle starting to pull, stop immediately. Yes, you'll need to run through pain, but there's a difference between a muscle or tendon aching (this is good, it means your working hard and you should keep pushing) and starting to strain due to being seriously overworked or improper technique (this is bad, do not try and run through it). About 4 months ago I injured my Achilles through too much running, for the first month I could barely walk without screaming and only in the last week or so have I been able to manage so much as a light jog, and it will probably be at least another two months before I'm back running properly again, and it's not doing my training or weight loss any favours. Sometimes too much determination to lose weight can be a bad thing...
  • Thank you x
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    - get proper shoes from a proper running shop that experienced staff fitted you with (not all running shoes are the same and your foot type matters[flat ot not], your running style matters [heel strike vs forefoot runners], your distance matters [there are light weight racing shoes and more solid training shoes] and your terrain matters [if you run on trail get trail shoes for extra grip but these may not feel great on roads]) - don't just run in old plimsoles!

- do not run on consecutive days yet and maybe not for the first 3 months - cardiovascular fitness develops a lot quicker than muscular-skeletal strength. Allow your bones and joints to get used to running.

- build distance and endurance before you build speed. I think there is little point thinking about advanced stuff like fartlek, hill reps or pace work until you can run for 3-4 miles at a comfortable pace

- run on soft ground when you can to reduce impact (trail is great, better than concrete anyway)

Welcome to running. :-)
  • backinthenines
    - get proper shoes from a proper running shop that experienced staff fitted you with (not all running shoes are the same and your foot type matters[flat ot not], your running style matters [heel strike vs forefoot runners], your distance matters [there are light weight racing shoes and more solid training shoes] and your terrain matters [if you run on trail get trail shoes for extra grip but these may not feel great on roads]) - don't just run in old plimsoles!

- do not run on consecutive days yet and maybe not for the first 3 months - cardiovascular fitness develops a lot quicker than muscular-skeletal strength. Allow your bones and joints to get used to running.

- build distance and endurance before you build speed. I think there is little point thinking about advanced stuff like fartlek, hill reps or pace work until you can run for 3-4 miles at a comfortable pace

- run on soft ground when you can to reduce impact (trail is great, better than concrete anyway)

- don't increase your distance by more than 10% a week max.

- stretch gently after a run (static stretches, no bouncing!)

Welcome to running. :-)
  • backinthenines
    pmsl... rubbish... I wanted to edit my post and add to it and ended up quoting myself... never mind...
This discussion has been closed.