Sugar Sensitivity- Not Diabetes

Options
Does anyone know much about impaired glucose tolerances that are NOT diabetes?

All of the information sources I have found link to information about diabetes (which I do not have).

I know I should go back to a doctor but won't have time to do so for another couple of weeks.

A while ago I got a blood test. Apparently my blood glucose levels are normal. I explained to the doctor that:

a) In the past, whenever I have eaten anything high in refined sugar, I feel really dehydrated all of a sudden and my heart-rate starts beating faster. I think the last example, from several months ago, I had a small amount of milk chocolate and a glass of orange juice after dinner with family. And these symptoms kicked in. I also felt excessively hungry, even though I had just eaten.
My boyfriend and I used to have pancakes for dinner at his mum's house once a fortnight. The last time I went, I woke up the next day feeling 'hungover' (I firmly believe that the hangovers most people attribute to alcohol have more to do with sugar, at least for myself anyway).

Because of this I don't like sugary things. It doesn't bother me at all to just avoid these things. Because of the reactions I have had, I don't crave these foods. But people get really ****ing offended when I refuse their baked goods.

I get mistaken for being freakishly health concious. This isn't the case. I feel fine about occasionally eating something greasy. It's just sugar. It is literally the worst feeling ever.

b) If I don't eat at the regular times when I usually eat, I am unable to concentrate. I used to work in food service. I would have a shift from 11am-4pm (which is only 5 hours so you don't need a break).

Anyway, no matter HOW MUCH food I ate at 10:45, I was hungry at 1 O'clock. By 2:30 I was tired and angry. (On a non-work day, I would eat breakfast at 9, have a small snack around 11 and have lunch between 1 and 2).

So I explained this to my doctor and she said that my glucose levels were likely unstable, and that she herself had the same thing. But that it isn't a big deal.

She said our blood sugar raises at the times when we usually eat and sort of expects food at these times. And that some people are more adaptable to this than others.

Anyway, I googled glucose instability and studies on diabetes patients came up.

Eventually I found pages on impaired glucose tolerance. I know I can't get diagnosed over the internet, but if anyone has any similar experiences and can point my in the direction of further information, that would be great. I want to know if there is any official way of testing for it.

Also, if this helps clarify anything, I don't get any of these symptoms from sucarlose or aspartame (but my body DOES hate stevia).

I don't react this way to moderate amounts of raw fruit.

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am sugar sensitive, but if I eat a very large amount of sugar I feel sick. I assume my glucose tolerance might be a bit impaired and it only shows up if I have a large amount at a time. Only an actual glucose tolerance test would prove that for sure though.

You say you had your blood glucose tested but have you tried getting a glucose tolerance test, impaired glucose tolerance shows up earlier in the development of pre-diabetes than raised fasting blood glucose.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this and experienced it myself. Theres actually something called "reactive hypoglycemia" which sounds a bit like what you are describing. I would google that. Basically its when you feed your bodies a great amount of sugar, your levels will spike up really high followed by a dramatic decline which could be the symptoms your experiencing.

In terms of your work schedule and eating pattern, that also seems like hypoglycemia. Because of your symptoms, I would have to disagree with you that 5 hours is not a long time to go without food. Some people with stable blood sugars are able to do that, but its not uncommon now a days for someone to carry a snack bar to work. I would suggest talking to any future bosses about the issue, More than likely they will allow you some time to slip something in your mouth to keep your sugars stable. I used to carry around mini crackers in my waitress apron! Lol!

Goodluck! Inbox me if you have any questions
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Is this a new thing?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How do you know you don't have diabetes? Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

You could have insulin resistance which causes reactive hypoglycemia because of the amount of insulin the pancreas is producing. Insulin naturally lowers blood glucose so when a person over produces this hormone, you can imagine the issues one faces with large swings in blood sugar.

I have insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia. My blood sugar will spike to 160 and drop into the 40s within 45 minutes. The large drop in blood sugar causes symptoms like extreme hunger, shakiness, dizziness, difficulty walking/talking, sweating, heart palpitations, fainting, etc.

Call your doctor and ask for a glucose tolerance test or mixed meals test. Ask to have your fasting serum insulin tested as well.

For now, avoid simple carbohydrates. No sweets, juice, soda, coffee, chips, cookies, muffins, donuts, cake, etc. Stick to complex carbs only… brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, fruits, and veggies. Don't eat more than 30 g of carbs per meal. Never eat carbs alone- always pair with protein and fat.

Eat every 2-3 hours. Carry protein bars on you if you have to.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

You could have insulin resistance which causes reactive hypoglycemia because of the amount of insulin the pancreas is producing. Insulin naturally lowers blood glucose so when a person over produces this hormone, you can imagine the issues one faces with large swings in blood sugar.

I have insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia. My blood sugar will spike to 160 and drop into the 40s within 45 minutes. The large drop in blood sugar causes symptoms like extreme hunger, shakiness, dizziness, difficulty walking/talking, sweating, heart palpitations, fainting, etc.

Call your doctor and ask for a glucose tolerance test or mixed meals test. Ask to have your fasting serum insulin tested as well.

For now, avoid simple carbohydrates. No sweets, juice, soda, coffee, chips, cookies, muffins, donuts, cake, etc. Stick to complex carbs only… brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, fruits, and veggies. Don't eat more than 30 g of carbs per meal. Never eat carbs alone- always pair with protein and fat.

I drink two cups of coffee in the morning, with a small amount of splenda. Would this really be harmful? Everything else you suggested is pretty much how I eat anyway (okay, dinner is more like 40g carbs but that is easy to adjust).

I just feel like trying to suddenly give up coffee right now would lead to withdrawal symptoms and be an issue for me at Uni.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I drink two cups of coffee in the morning, with a small amount of splenda. Would this really be harmful? Everything else you suggested is pretty much how I eat anyway (okay, dinner is more like 40g carbs but that is easy to adjust).

I just feel like trying to suddenly give up coffee right now would lead to withdrawal symptoms and be an issue for me at Uni.

Oh okay, it's fine if you use Splenda. Most with insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia can tolerate artificial sweeteners. I know some can't though. As long as it doesn't give you symptoms, it's fine for you to keep drinking it. I know plenty of people who have IR or RH and still drink coffee. I just wasn't sure if you liked those sugary coffee drinks! Those are a no-no! Lol.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Oh okay, it's fine if you use Splenda. Most with insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia can tolerate artificial sweeteners. I know some can't though. As long as it doesn't give you symptoms, it's fine for you to keep drinking it. I know plenty of people who have IR or RH and still drink coffee. I just wasn't sure if you liked those sugary coffee drinks! Those are a no-no! Lol.

Yeah no, I don't react negatively to sucarlose or aspartame (in normal amounts obviously).

Stevia sweeteners make me sick so I avoid those.

I guess I've avoided sugar and opted for artificial sweeteners in coffee for years, because of how it makes me feel. It just didn't occur to me until recently that this isn't necessarily how most people feel.

Like I know the majority of people feel sick after excessive amounts of sugar, but I didn't realise that portions that others can usually tolerate the same portions of sugar that would give me these symptoms.