You know what scares me?

Options
reneb28
reneb28 Posts: 13 Member
*I'm in NO WAY bashing anyone or trying to criticizing anyone!*
The amount of people in real life and on here that are "back again" "back on track" I've seen people lose tons of weight and some how end up right back where they were! All that work (cause we all know it is HARD work)! In vain??
I am scared that the changes I've made and feel like I work so hard for are an over sized Mcdonalds burger and fries away. Everyone around me asks so when is your "diet" going to be over, ummmmmm NEVER I hope! Don't get me wrong I've "dieted" before and gave up, I've lost weight before and gained weight back. I feel now that I've changed my mind set and life and my health and fitness is more significant now. I hope to not go back to old ways. Which seems very hard when my family (2 boy and a significant other) are not on board! So this is to awareness to myself and maybe to others to change your mind set and just be healthy!

Replies

• kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's one of my biggest fears - so I'm educating myself and learning WHY people gain their weight back and WHY it's so hard to maintain for people. I'm learning about my body and what does and doesn't work for me. I am doing this now half way through my weight loss journey, so that when I'm at maintenance, I'm not scrambling to learn these things.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Clowns scare me.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Being aware of the danger is half the battle.... but it is truly more difficult if you don't get support from your family. My wife resents my running because she says it takes away from family time.... so I find myself getting up at 3:00 in the morning sometimes to get my long runs in. I question my sanity especially when its 5 degrees and I'm dodging snowplows. It sucks, but I know what I would be like if stopped running.... Sounds like you doing just fine though. In time your boys and SO with appreciate your efforts.
  • joverine
    joverine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Im in the same boat my wife isn't on board either and thinks I'm nuts for weighing my food but she can't argue the fact I lost 14 pounds so far. Today she asked me when I'm gonna stop weighing everything and just watch what you eat I said probly never because this isn't a diet.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's because people diet... They're not doing it to be healthy. It's all about your 'why'.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just like losing weight takes particular decisions, so does gaining weight. It's a choice, every day.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate that my husband supports me on my journey - he's losing weight as well - but he's not ready for the fitness portion that I'm at yet. But that's ok, we support each other at the level we are currently at.
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to make sure I get dressed every day in real clothes (after my workout of course) and do my hair and put on some mascara. i saw myself in the mirror one day in a ponytail and hoodie and I decided it was a slippery slope (especially since I was at work and it was not the first day of that look).

My husband and two kids are not on board either, but I keep going. I make my kids exercise or get some physical activity every day and I tell them that is it is much easier to stay in shape than to try and get back into shape. They are teenagers and so far so good. I don't care if they don't like it or me right now. Health is the most important thing. I keep asking my husband to join me on hikes or go for bike rides and he never does so oh well. i cannot live my life sitting in a chair and watching tv. Whenever he does that, I jump on the treadmill. Felt really selfish at first, but I need to do what is best for me. Took me 48 years and gaining then losing 40+ pounds to get to that point.

The last thing I do to stay motivated is to take a look around me at the people--at the grocery store, or gas station or wherever. There are so many overweight people walking around and eating, eating, eating, I don't want to look like that! They do not look healthy or happy.

Remember to take it one day at a time and be aware of what you are doing. The weight just slipped on gradually when I stopped caring about what I ate and stopped making physical activity a priority. You are a priority!
  • reneb28
    Options
    I'm still a mom FIRST so I end up cooking 2 meals a night, doing twice the dishes and question myself sometimes. I also try to find "odd" hours to work out so I'm not cutting into my very demanding family time! The sacrifices we make, so I cant imagine it being in vain. At the same time being the very reason to unravel your work.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance since May 2012, my second time around. I lost weight and got fit by thinking about and paying attention to what I was eating. Then I figured I didn't need to track anymore and could just estimate. For me, the problem was I was no longer focused, no longer paying attention so I gained much of it back. The second time, I kept track even after I lost it. Doing that has kept me focused.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I am embarrassed to say, it has taken losing and gaining a few times to now realize that maintaining is just as hard as dieting and it will never end.

I truly feel this is the last time of losing weight for me. I think I've got it.

But, it just takes time because a diet or getting in shape seems like an end game..but it isn't. I would be like saving up $100, 000 and thinking you could stop working a live well forever on that much money. nope.
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can really relate! I lost 60 pounds about ten years ago and after having babies I gained it all back plus twenty. Then I lost 30 pounds again two years ago...only to give up because I was feeling left out of family events.

I am with you though - sometimes I call it a "diet" but truly, cliche as it sounds, it's a lifestyle change. My goal is to make this a new habit...and I have STRUGGLED let me tell you. I lost 24 pounds before joining MFP so I'm around 32 pounds down in total...I have another 50 pounds to go but I know I can do it. I don't ever want to go back to stuffing my face again...I was so depressed and miserable. My body ached, I was always too tired to do ANYTHING. I was embarrassed about how I looked. Just so many reasons. The number one thing keeping me on track right now is my children. My daughter and I made a pact that I would keep up with my goals if she continued on with hers...she works out with me daily and I help her train for soccer. She is watching me...and I can feel it. I want more than anything to teach her not to give up. :)

My family is not so much on board although the kids are doing better. My Husband has no interest but hey, I don't want to change him. If he wants to change I'm here...but I am determined that I can not quit because this is so important to ME! :)
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's a fact of life - things change over time and problems are very often cyclic. When you are emotionally stronger, you build good habits, you tackle deep issues. When you become weaker due to any of life's challenges or troubles, your problems can definitely come back. It's not the end of the world if you don't successfully fight off gaining weight again - it means that you need to tackle the problem again, maybe in a different way to best suit your current issues.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is actually harder than losing weight. That being said it doesn't matter if your family is on board or not. Willpower is really hard to come by and it needs to come within, whether your feelings on board or not. Good luck!
  • tweety127
    tweety127 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What scares me is not being able to breath walking up a flight of stairs, having to rest while getting dressed, my feet hurting all the time, and not being able to enjoy taking a walk with my husband because I am soooo out of shape im afraid I have a heart attack. It scared me enough to force me to begin getting healthy. I didn't go on a diet, but instead decided to get healthy, stop eating enormous amounts of food, stop the carbohydrate cravings, and start moving. I see calories for everything I eat and I ask do you really want that, it will cost X amount of calories. I make eating a choice now not just something I do all day long. I control my eating it no longer controls me and that feels better than loosing the 25 pounds I no longer carry around. I am 4 months into the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life...and I am no longer scared. :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Wanna see something really scary?

1733eead3e653fd2ea56cbe411a96d12.gif
  • reneb28
    Options
    Wanna see something really scary?

1733eead3e653fd2ea56cbe411a96d12.gif

Don't you wish the cabinet would do that when you opened it!