If You Had to Be VERY Careful Money-wise….

Options

Replies

• Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tons of great ideas and links! I like using the microwave to kick start a baked potato or baked sweet potato. I just put it in the microwave for a few minutes, then about ten minutes in the oven and it's perfect!
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I've found this blog useful from time to time.
    It's written by a mum who used to feed herself and her son with £10 per week. The recipes are normally healthy as her focus was providing her growing son with nutritious food. (They're also very tasty!)
    She sold almost everything she owned to make ends meet so there's no fancy equipment used either.

http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/recipes-food/

hope it helps
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It is 9:00am and I'm assembling sloppy joes in my crock pot already. Great thread op! My suggestion is to google OAMC. There are some great recipes and ideas on those kinds of websites.
  • carolinadaltton
    carolinadaltton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1 can of kidney beans, 1 small onion in cubes ,1 tomato in cubes, and sheered carrots I put this in a pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until they are all cook I put 1 tablespoon of ketchup, cayenne, salt and garlic powder, I put this in a bowl and like toppings I added shredded lettuce, 1/2 avocado in cubes and 1 tablespoon of sour cream
    Is absolutely delicious I assure you actually that's my favorite food, sometimes i make white rice and eat a little portion with this.
    You can added grounded meat too but without meat is better.

You can also make Brochette chicken in cubes with onions in cubes, mushrooms, and yellow green or red bell peppers, very easy and very tasty.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Those veggie joe's sound heavenly. I'm not vegetarian, but I really like a lot of vegetarian foods.

In college, I lived on lentil soup -- just broth, rice, brown lentils and chopped onion, cooked together until the lentils are soft.
  • Missbuttercupp
    Missbuttercupp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you live near an Aldi I'd go there and you will be fine. They have a lot of healthy options in their fit and active product line and they are way cheaper than any grocery store. I go there once a month and spend $50 and I'm eating really well for a few weeks on that.
  • amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump - great ideas and recipes
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. We can all use these great ideas and resources.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Didn't read other posts, but what about Leanne Brown's cookbooks for vegetarian and for SNAP food (food stamps)? They're both free:

http://www.leannebrown.ca/cookbooks/
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a freezer you can bulk cook and freeze - I still do it now because I'm tight :wink: also if you are prepared to or have any friends who hunt or fish they can be a great source of free protein. Look up foraging there is lots of free food out there
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful… boil two bone in chicken breasts in a big pot of water. I add the end of an onion and some tops of celery in the stock pot..anything for flavor.

After they're cooked let them cool..remove the skin..and shred the chicken. Strain the broth…. Put the chicken back in the broth…add canned tomatoes some uncooked rice..(half cup or 1/4 depending on your calorie goals.) Add a bag of frozen soup vegetables. Really anything cheap in your freezer vegetable -wise or even canned vegetables. Add balsamic vinegar for taste… throw in a bay leaf..salt pepper.. Hot chilies if you have them. Let it simmer for an hour or so. It turns out like a stew. Very filling. Let it cool and ladle it out into tupperware containers. YOu'll get at least six servings or more. Eats like a meal..wonderful. and so very low calorie. I also had a tablespoon or two of tomato paste for flavor too.
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds horrible, and most people don't like them, but Spaghetti O's! I'm basically a tall kid, so I love them. They're only about a dollar a can and most of the time can be split into two servings. They also have a lot of protein.
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatliverun.com/cuban-black-beans/

One of my fave recipes. So simple, and you don't need a slow cooker to do it. For one person, it'll last a while, and you can eat it with rice if you want it to go further.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Invest in a protein shake.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    There's a good website for cheap meals called Budget Bytes!

www.budgtbytes.com

Don't forget about the zillion recipes on Pinterest!

You might also look up the Living on a Dime blog (www.livingonadime.com)
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Tons of great ideas here, so just a different idea to make a sort of game of it to make the next month less stressful. When ever we've moved we always set a stop date for grocery shopping so we don't have to move food, or have it go to waste. Totally opposite way of thinking for you, but the goal of the game is to empty the pantry. The fun comes in trying to be really creative about how to use the supplies you have on hand together somehow. If we don't have a move we still play the game for a month every couple of years just to make sure goods don't slip past their expiration date. When your goal is to empty the pantry and freezer those bare shelves are liberating. We've found it takes more meals than we imagined. Give everything a good scrub when you win membership into the clean pantry club, put down fresh shelf paper, and go forward with a renewed idea of how long you really could live on what's in your kitchen. It will change the way you shop!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds horrible, and most people don't like them, but Spaghetti O's! I'm basically a tall kid, so I love them. They're only about a dollar a can and most of the time can be split into two servings. They also have a lot of protein.

Spaghetti O's and van camp's pork and beans are lunchtime staples around here!
  • ritabwatkins
    ritabwatkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup is really good! You can use Giadda's Recipe and make it taste Italian (leave out the pasta for fewer calories AND you can spice it up Mexican style by adding cilantro, lime juice and some Tajin (I put that S&HT on everything!) The Only expensive thing in it is the low fat, low sodium chicken broth, but if you go to Costco, Smart and Final or Food max Im sure you can find it for much less! Its also a great source of Folic Acid! And settles the stomach when you are starving.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I had to be very careful money-wise, I would cut out meat (more or less).

I would get my protein primarily from beans/lentils/chickpeas and do things like vegetable curries, casseroles, tagines, etc. with rice/pasta/couscous depending what went best with the flavours I was using.

I would eat meat if I found some at less than half price reduced to clear. I might also add cheap tinned tuna.

I would probably use some of the older recipes from this site: http://agirlcalledjack.com/ She had to feed herself and her son for £10 per week, mostly using supermarket budget ranges.