What to make with.....

Options

Replies

• mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @Greek yogurt=drizzle honey, add nuts or granola or applesauce or berries, or cut up strawberries on it. Lots of protein!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Random thread idea!
    If you've got an ingredient and not sure what to do with it /what to cook it with etc, post here and others may be able to suggest ways they use it and or recipe ideas.

I'll start one: What do you with black beans? (if you eat them)

Recently made a knock off version of TGI Friday's Black bean soup was delish.
  • Kate7294
    Options
    Yellow squash. My husband grew 5 of those.

My mother-in-laws recipe for Squash casserole is delish and only about 218 calories a serving.

Cut up 3 cups squash
    Slice up one medium onion
    Steam above
    Spray casserole dish/pan
    Sprinkle with half of stuffing mix ( Calls four 4 oz of Pepperidge farm I used a foodlion stuffing 6 oz package lower cals)
    Mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup ( I used fat free sour cream and found a low sodium 98% fat free soup foodlion brand)
    Mix in squash and onions pour in dish
    Add leftover stuffing mix on top
    Then add 1 stick melted butter ( I used unsalted)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Random thread idea!
    If you've got an ingredient and not sure what to do with it /what to cook it with etc, post here and others may be able to suggest ways they use it and or recipe ideas.

I'll start one: What do you with black beans? (if you eat them)

I just made the best salad today with black beans and I don't even like then... No real recipe for quantities but throw in what you. have

Can Rinsed black beans
    Corn kernels - frozen of canned
    1 diced sweet pepper
    1/2 red onion minced small
    Mango diced. I used 2 but one is fine
    Avocado cubed
    Garlic
    Pepper
    Lime juice
    Cilantro
    EVVO

Mix all together.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I got one! I bought a big container of Greek yogurt to use in place of sour cream but I'm worried it's going to spoil before I use it sooooooo.....

What to make with Greek yogurt?

Tzatziki sauce. It's so good on chicken, or pork, or a spoon.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/07/worlds-best-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-greek.html
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

They cook just like zucchini. Good on the grill. Or make "zucchini fries" but with the yellow squash. Here's a recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/baked-zucchini-sticks-13-pts.html?m=1
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Farts?

Sorry, I meant "tarts"-- here's my recipe; I hope you like it!

rinsed and drained Goya low sodium black beans
    diced onion
    diced fresh tomato (with seeds and juices)
    chopped scallion
    sour cream (yogurt if you'd rather)
    salsa
    ground cumin
    ground black pepper
    chili powder
    garlic powder
    olive oil (a little doesn't hurt!)
    shredded or diced cooked meat (chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, whatever)

All quantities depend on how much you want to make-- I don't measure the spices or the vegs.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in skillet on med-high heat. Add onion. Cook 1-2 min. until slightly translucent. Add beans. Stir. Add spices as per you own taste. Reduce heat. Mash up the beans with a fork so that most of them no longer look like beans (you're sort of making refried beans, but not quite). Put about half of the bean mixture aside. Divide the remaining half between 4-6 non-stick individual tart tins, shaping the beans into a "crust". Put the tins on a cookie sheet., and bake for 5 min., or until the beans have started to get a little crispy. While these shells are baking, add the meat and tomato to the reserved bean mixture. Adjust seasoning as necessary. Remove tart shells from oven. Fill with meat mixture, and return to oven for another 5 min., or until heated through. Garnish with chopped scallion, salsa, and sour cream if desired.
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options

My mother-in-laws recipe for Squash casserole is delish and only about 218 calories a serving.

Cut up 3 cups squash
    Slice up one medium onion
    Steam above
    Spray casserole dish/pan
    Sprinkle with half of stuffing mix ( Calls four 4 oz of Pepperidge farm I used a foodlion stuffing 6 oz package lower cals)
    Mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup ( I used fat free sour cream and found a low sodium 98% fat free soup foodlion brand)
    Mix in squash and onions pour in dish
    Add leftover stuffing mix on top
    Then add 1 stick melted butter ( I used unsalted)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Oh wow, small world lol... my mom just made this. She calls her recipe squash supreme! I don't care much for squash, but my son LOVES it & he's 5. Maybe i'm just too picky lol.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Quinoa: cook with the appropriate amount of water plus 1/4 C golden raisins and a tablespoon of curry powder. Let it cool, then add 1 chopped granny smith apple, about 1/2 a small red onion, a cup or so of raw, chopped kale, and dress with a mustard-cider vinegar-honey-olive oil dressing.

Black Beans: cooled beans, cooled unseasoned quinoa, anaheim chiles, red onion, and frozen or fresh corn. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice. Eat cool or at room temperature.

Greek yogurt: blend with sugar & jam, then freeze in popsicle molds. Or Eat with a drizzle of honey and raw grapes. Or use as a base for salad dressings instead of mayo or sour cream (like Ranch or Blue Cheese).

Squash: make zucchini tots (from skinnytaste) substituting yellow squash for zucchini.
    Or, add ribbons of squash to lasagne over the noodles.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I got one! I bought a big container of Greek yogurt to use in place of sour cream but I'm worried it's going to spoil before I use it sooooooo.....

Tons of things

I make my own cream cheese like spread.... Take the Greek yogurt, strain it over a cheese cloth over night, squeeze out the liquid.

It's like a cream cheese texture. Season with herbs, and spread it like cream cheese
    Veggie dip Just add your favourite hers, or you can add a salad seasoning mix, I put a little no fat mayo to take out the tangyness, if you want to turn it into a dressing, add some buttermilk to thin out, add a little seasoning though
    If I make a squash or a carrot, or some sort of purée soup, I I add it in the end for creaminess
    Mix with purée fruit and honey, or jam if you don't mind the sugar add some milk, vanilla, blend together for a homemade yogurt drink. You can take any left over drink and make Popsicles.
    Add a little honey or jam for a fruit dip and vanilla, take the same fruit dip throw it in and ice cream machine for frozen yogurt
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Chili - lime seasoned ground pork. I got it on manager's special and its been in the freezer for a long time, thawed it last night. Gonna make it for dinner but not sure what to do with it exactly. I've never cooked with ground pork, much less chili-lime ground pork!

I've never used this. I'd make meatballs and serve them in a pita bread or wrap with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, hummus and maybe tzatziki. The spicy, citrusy flavor should work well.

Another option is meatballs in a salad (something like a taco salad). Again, the spicy, citrusy flavor should be tasty with it.

I saw this a bit late. What did you decide to make with the meat?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Protein pancakes

170g greek yoghurt
    42g whey protein powder (I use vanilla but whatever floats your boat)
    42g cup flour
    1 egg
    1tsp baking powder
    1tsp vanilla
    sweetener to taste
    A dash of milk depending on how think you like your pancakes

Combine wet ingredients in a bowl, combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet to dry, mix to combine. Cook in pan as per usual

Makes 4 reasonable sized pancakes
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Tons of things

I make my own cream cheese like spread.... Take the Greek yogurt, strain it over a cheese cloth over night, squeeze out the liquid.

It's like a cream cheese texture. Season with herbs, and spread it like cream cheese
    Veggie dip Just add your favourite hers, or you can add a salad seasoning mix, I put a little no fat mayo to take out the tangyness, if you want to turn it into a dressing, add some buttermilk to thin out, add a little seasoning though
    If I make a squash or a carrot, or some sort of purée soup, I I add it in the end for creaminess
    Mix with purée fruit and honey, or jam if you don't mind the sugar add some milk, vanilla, blend together for a homemade yogurt drink. You can take any left over drink and make Popsicles.
    Add a little honey or jam for a fruit dip and vanilla, take the same fruit dip throw it in and ice cream machine for frozen yogurt

Thanks for the idea to make a cream cheese spread and add herbs...that sounds really good!

I also use greek yogurt in dishes where sour cream is used--it's a great substitute. My most common use is in fruit smoothies...like this:

6 ounces greek yogurt
    6 ounces skim milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 frozen banana (about 125g)
    Strawberries (150g)
    Mango (100g)

Makes 2 servings. Depending on fruit and quantities used, each serving is 210-260 calories.
  • Kate7294
    Options
    Oh wow, small world lol... my mom just made this. She calls her recipe squash supreme! I don't care much for squash, but my son LOVES it & he's 5. Maybe i'm just too picky lol.
    [/quote]

LOL. I don't mind squash except for spaghetti squash. That's taking it to far. LOL. I don't care for zucchini though unless it's in my Mother-in-law's zucchini bread.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Okay folks, 3 things:

Pearled Barley

Bulgur

Sprouted Quinoa

. . . . .and . . . . . go . . . .
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Add a little honey and enjoy. I love greek yogurt with honey either as a meal(with fruit) usually breakfast or a snack. No need to make something using it just eat it. ;) Unless you want a smoothie. YUM
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Okay folks, 3 things:

Pearled Barley

Bulgur

Sprouted Quinoa

. . . . .and . . . . . go . . . .

Barley makes a great salad. There are lots of recipes to choose from, starting here: http://cookeatshare.com/popular/recipes-for-cold-barley-salads
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Bulgur. Anyone?!?