What your favorite

Options
Healthy meals and/or snacks??? Looking for ideas on things to try. Please include recipes if you have them! Thanks :)

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Right now just lightly salted mixed nuts, lightly salted crackers and cheese, carrot sticks, granny smith apples. I am hoping to branch out to new ideas myself! :^)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruit. Scrambled eggs/white with cheese, spinach, mushroom, onion. Sprouted grain bread toasted with peanut butter. Zucchini meatballs. Chicken wraps with tatziki sauce (homemade).
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    Raw vegies with hummus.
    (carrots, celery, snap peas, bell pepper, etc.)

Apple and peanut butter.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup. If it's a chicken or beef based soup I put steel cut oats or barley in it. I also love to make bean and lentil soups. Oh and chili. Chili is an excellent snack or meal and super healthy.

Thinly sliced chicken breast marinaded in yogurt and spices then fried in a bit of olive oil on high heat. I like to eat this with scrambled egg with onions peppers and mushrooms, salsa and avocado. My all time favorite meal.

Greek yogurt with berries or very ripe diced peaches. yummy snack.

Tacos! Tacos taste like junk food but they're not! I blend my own spices for seasoning and make my own corn tortillas. I top the tacos with tomatoes, lettuce, cheese and avocado. Delicious!

Hummus tastes awesome with any kind of chips, but also it's delicious with vegetables. It's also really good when topped with seasoned ground meat.
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like to have a caramel rice cake with one Tbsp crunchy peanut butter, and 1/2 a banana. It's so good.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Blueberries bananas pineapples... pretty much if its fruit I'm enamored except cantaloupe. :sick: I also go for string cheese, carrot sticks, and if I'm at work a few strips of bacon.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Now that it's tomato season, I've been having caprese salads for snacks and meals. This is one I made last week:
    yum_zps8558b12a.jpg
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like anything and everything; well, anything except raw celery. :indifferent: Every week, I buy something new to try and cook a new recipe too. This week, I made Japanese hayashi rice--sliced pork/beef, cubed potatoes, carrots, and onion in a thick demi-glaze tomato sauce. I also bought some few things for tomato red rice, beans/corn salad, and green beans as my other meal option. I've also been eating this recently: 1 boiled egg, 1/4 large avocado, 1 tsp curry powder, salt/pepper; mash everything together; wrap up in a tortilla. It's awesome!!!

But anyways, next week, I'm gonna try this chicken and wild rice soup (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/694402-creamy-chicken-and-wild-rice-soup-tastes-like-panera-s). Although I like Panera's version, it's often too salty for me so I'm gonna try to make it my own. :D

Snacks are almost always organic cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas. I also buy a luna bar every week as a treat; this week's flavor is white chocolate macadamia. I also eat steamed/baked sweet potatoes often (all varieties, especially Okinawan purple sweet potatoes). They taste great with walnuts! I get most calcium from almond milk but since the milk has no flavor, I make a lite banana smoothie to make it a bit more...: 1/2 banana, 1/8-1/4 cup coconut milk, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. Blend and enjoy, guilt-free. Other great snack to get rid of hunger pangs: 1 slice of sprouted wheat bread with 1 oz of cheese (any). Cheese and bread is awesome. *_*
  • skinnymini2552
    Options
    I don't really have any specific recipes but great staple foods you could keep around the house might include:

For meals: Zucchini, mushrooms, rotisserie chicken, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, avocados, mango, tuna

For snacks: prunes, dates, unsalted nuts (peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pepitas, almonds, etc), apples, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, celery, tangerines

Additional tips!!!
    --> Switch some of the products you currently have at home for healthier alternatives. For example, white sugar for brown sugar or honey. Try switching regular cow's milk for unsweetened almond milk. Moreover, incorporate more shrimp, salmon, and cod/haddock than meat , pork or dark meat chicken. Lastly go for corn instead of flour tortillas (2 of the corn have less calories than just one of the flour!) and opt for whole grain/wheat bread instead of white/potato or brown.

Hope this helped!

P.S. A great place to check out recipes would be pinterest or yummly