setting up mfp

I think I need some help. I'm trying to set up MFP to accommodate a half pound weight loss per week. It says I can eat 1470 kcal per day. That sounds so extremely to me. I thought the average woman should eat about 2000 kcal per day? Won't I be starving myself with this?

And btw, how can I change my age? It says I'm 35, but I'm 40.

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I'm not sure what calories are right for you, but I used this site: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    to find the correct number for me (you can change your calorie totals under goals to change them (under settings, which is where you should be able to change your age as well).
  • Ok, I tried this. But I'm not sure how fast I should be losing weight. I don't want to lose a lot. I just gained weight since I turned 40 and want it to go again.
    So I understand this correctly? The base metabolic rate is what runs in the background, right? Here it says it's 1433.
    Daily calorie to maintain weight: 1720 <- that is so much less than the 2000 we were always told. That can't be right? Won't my body go into starvation mode with that?

So how much should I be eating then?
    I'm 40, weight 69kg at the moment and would like to weight 62 again. I'm 169cm small.
    I cannot do sport at the moment. I'm trying to mend a broken leg and it will take a bit longer.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Starvation mode as it is commonly used is a myth. If you go to the Scooby link and enter in your information and enter in section 6 for a 10% weight loss, what number does that give you?

ETA: you can use that number and do a customized settings for your goals. I suggest using this link to determine your macros (protein, fat, carbohydrates) along with all sorts of other great information in it (take pictures and use a measuring tape, really, the scale lies a whole lot).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

For updating your age, go to >home, then >settings, and then >update diet/fitness profile. You can change your date of birth there.
  • Daily calories based on goal in step 6: 1548
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Starvation mode is virtually non existent for people that are average or overweight. Until you can become more active, seems that 1548 is correct. Hope you heal soon :smile:
  • Great, thanks. Now I changed my age. And now I'm reading your link. I'm not wearing sexy pants anymore, but there might be something useful in that link.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Ok, I tried this. But I'm not sure how fast I should be losing weight. I don't want to lose a lot. I just gained weight since I turned 40 and want it to go again.
    So I understand this correctly? The base metabolic rate is what runs in the background, right? Here it says it's 1433.
    Daily calorie to maintain weight: 1720 <- that is so much less than the 2000 we were always told. That can't be right? Won't my body go into starvation mode with that?

So how much should I be eating then?
    I'm 40, weight 69kg at the moment and would like to weight 62 again. I'm 169cm small.
    I cannot do sport at the moment. I'm trying to mend a broken leg and it will take a bit longer.

as above!!
  • nutmegoreo
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6: 1548

Okay, so based on that, check out my edit above. It should help you with the remainder of your questions.

Does that sound like a better goal? The 2000 calories for maintenance is really a rough number and is not appropriate for everyone. It will vary depending on your daily life and how much exercise you get. If you have an active job and workout, you could have a maintenance number higher than 2000, even us shorties can. If you have a desk job and spend your spare time on the couch, you will not be able to get away with eating as much.

Now the key is to reevaluate every 4-6 weeks. If you find you are not losing, then you may need to reduce this goal, and if you are losing too quickly, you may need to increase it. Probably only by 100-200 calories though, and keep adjusting as needed. All these numbers are formula driven and each individual will vary, but it is a good place to start.
  • nutmegoreo
    Great, thanks. Now I changed my age. And now I'm reading your link. I'm not wearing sexy pants anymore, but there might be something useful in that link.

:laugh: I won't even say how long I have been out of my sexypants. I'm just glad I didn't bust them, so they will fit again one day. You will do fine, just have some patience. Add a few friends for support and motivation too. It helps :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks a lot guys. I hope this will work. I know I didn't gain much weight but it's all on the belly and in my face. And it just looks terrible. I never really did any sport but maybe it would be good to start once I'm rid of this annoying thing on my leg (not sure what it's called in english). Yes, I'm mainly sitting at work and I'm hopping a bit through the garden to water the plants. That's pretty much all at the moment.

edit: no sexy pants, office job, gardening.. I sound like a really boring person! We call those people 'muts', like cap or beany. Have to think about that.
  • nutmegoreo
    Well, best of luck to you. Heal well and fast. Give it some time and adjust as necessary. You can do it!