No results!!!!

Options
I have been walking for 3 weeks now and I am overweight and not really losing weight.
My weight fluctuates. I have been eating under my calories almost every day (Went on vacation and indulged for a weekend).
My family has said it looks like I am losing weight but my scales laughs at that.
It's discouraging but I continue to walk.

Any advice on how to improve? Or what I should be expecting.

Replies

• savvybaby36
    Options
    Not sure that TDEE is. My recommended is 1700 but I eat less than that and burn about 500-800 cal a day.
  • savvybaby36
    Options
    Not sure that TDEE is. My recommended is 1700 but I eat less than that and burn about 500-800 cal a day.
    Do you weight and measure all your food? Everything? Even on weekends?
    How did you come up with 500-800 calories burned?

What's your age, height, weight?
    I messaged you my info.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    chances are that if you're not losing weight, you're not burning as many calories as you think - most calculators, apps and gadgets like fitbit overestimate burn, and burning 500 or more calories a day would be a long and very intense workout - or you're eating more than you think. most people i know are eating more than they think. if that's not the case, cut back your calories 100 or 200 per day for a week, and if you get no results, but back another 100 to 200 per day for the next week till you start seeing results.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    You could always use some additional help - Fat burning coffee bean extract. I swear by this stuff, Its like a natural, cheap version of Ali. Read the reviews, there amazing.

http://goo.gl/jTXGTF

Stop the spam
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    You are.......giving a link.

The product does not work.
  • FletcherSymons
    Options
    You are.......giving a link.

The product does not work.

Well i say it does work - Not to mention the many reviewers on Amazon that agree!! - So it doesnt work why? because you say it doesnt?! AGAIN grow up! its a forum and everyones allowed there opinion and there is no rules against posting a link.
  • savvybaby36
    Options
    chances are that if you're not losing weight, you're not burning as many calories as you think - most calculators, apps and gadgets like fitbit overestimate burn, and burning 500 or more calories a day would be a long and very intense workout - or you're eating more than you think. most people i know are eating more than they think. if that's not the case, cut back your calories 100 or 200 per day for a week, and if you get no results, but back another 100 to 200 per day for the next week till you start seeing results.
    I use MapMyWalk for the calories I burn. I don't calculate my calories well, I think.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll start measuring my food.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's physically impossible not to lose weight if you're burning more calories than you're consuming. So you're either eating to much or overestimating your calories burned. Walking for short distances is not going to burn 500 calories.

So check your settings and put sedentary on your profile, weigh your food, don't eat back burned calories, log in all the food and drink you're consuming, and it should put you on the right track.

Remember it's calories in versus calories out.
  • savvybaby36
    Options
    It's physically impossible not to lose weight if you're burning more calories than you're consuming. So you're either eating to much or overestimating your calories burned. Walking for short distances is not going to burn 500 calories.

So check your settings and put sedentary on your profile, weigh your food, don't eat back burned calories, log in all the food and drink you're consuming, and it should put you on the right track.

Remember it's calories in versus calories out.
    I used MapMyWalk today and I hiked for 1:32:43 (time) and 4.15 miles and it says I burned 841 cal.
    Im 5'2/ 267 lbs(fluctuates) and 22 yr old.
    Would the app be extremely off?
  • ALittleHazey
    Options

Well i say it does work - Not to mention the many reviewers on Amazon that agree!! - So it doesnt work why? because you say it doesnt?! AGAIN grow up! its a forum and everyones allowed there opinion and there is no rules against posting a link.

Actually.......
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam.

14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The important question to ask is not whether the scale is moving, but whether the tape measurements are changing.

Trying to track solely by using the scale can be disheartening as water weight fluctuates, muscle can get added, etc. The scale is just one tool. Start tracking your body measurements as well.

If your family is seeing it, the odds are that your measurements have changed, and at the end of the day the scale is irrelevant: a toned athletic woman is going to weigh significantly more than a "skinny fat" woman will. And which would you rather be?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Additional food for thought, would be to reevaluate your logging and measuring practices. I can't give specific advice, with the diary closed, but here's a link. You can evaluate it yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+accurately
  • savvybaby36
    Options
    The important question to ask is not whether the scale is moving, but whether the tape measurements are changing.

Trying to track solely by using the scale can be disheartening as water weight fluctuates, muscle can get added, etc. The scale is just one tool. Start tracking your body measurements as well.

If your family is seeing it, the odds are that your measurements have changed, and at the end of the day the scale is irrelevant: a toned athletic woman is going to weigh significantly more than a "skinny fat" woman will. And which would you rather be?
    Thanks for the response! I'll get a tape measure!
    I can tell I am making changes and within 3 weeks I have been able to walk faster and further. My body is changing slowly but I was just curious why the scale isn't moving. Hopefully I am building the muscle.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I can tell I am making changes and within 3 weeks I have been able to walk faster and further. My body is changing slowly but I was just curious why the scale isn't moving. Hopefully I am building the muscle.

The scale is a liar. Pictures and a measuring tape. Clothing feel is also a good indication.
  • savvybaby36
    Options

The scale is a liar. Pictures and a measuring tape. Clothing feel is also a good indication.
    I was hoping that was the case. Thanks! Going to get a tape measure tomorrow!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is the measuring. When I first started, I wanted to use cups, tablespoons, etc. Well... those can be terribly off on the most random of things. My suggestion is to get a food scale and start weighing out your food. After a while, it gets to where you don't have to do most fruit and veg, but anything really calorie dense like meat, butter, peanut butter, you will want to weigh it. And grains. You can be off by HUNDREDS of calories! It's unreal. I wish I could remember a few of the links on here to great threads about it, but I lost all my bookmarks when my pute crashed. Anyways, it really makes a difference. As for the exercise cals, the rule of thumb, typically, is to only eat back a max of 50% since those things are notorious for over estimates (phone apps and online tools). The only real way to know is to use an HRM (Heart rate monitor) but even those can be fooled when the temps are high. So, overall, just track a little more accurately, don't eat back all those exercise cals, and give it a bit more time. You didn't gain all of the weight in 3 weeks, you won't lose it in 3 either! But you WILL lose it if you stick it out. Good luck!