swimming to lose weight .........

Options
hi all hope you are well. i have recently started swimming and i absolutely love it. i am big so it has taken me a lot to go but i am so glad i have. i weigh about 18 stone and i obviously have a lot to lose. i wanted to know does anyone else swim a lot and has it helped with losing weight and toning etc. alot of people are saying that you dont lose weight with swimming but i find that hard to believe because you burn so many calories off whilst doing it you must eventually lose weight if you are of course not just eating loads afterwards.

what are your views??

Replies

• BigC1874
    BigC1874 Posts: 3
    Options
    It really depends on what you do in the pool.

Most people make the mistake of "doing their usual 20 lengths" in the pool and not really pushing themselves to do it any faster than they did last time. This doesn't really improve your fitness and won't help you lose that much weight.

If you want results, then you need to set yourself goals, such as swimming faster or for longer (either time or distance wise) and keep on trying to improve.

The best way to lose weight using any form of cardio exercise is by doing interval training - i.e. pushing really hard for a few minutes, easing off, then going hard again. Google interval training for swimming and you'll get some good ideas.
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    60% nutrition 40% physical. If you're overweight, it's not about how much you eat, it's what you eat.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost my weight from swimming. I swim daily. And the PP is right you have to continue to change it up and push yourself but even my dad lost 20 lbs from doing the water classes so you can lose the weight.
    My suggestion is two fold one start off at a comfortable pace and then challenge yourself 3 times a week to push harder. Eventually you will move into the challenges being your daily routine. Secondly, people who start swimming forget that you sweat while swimming and often mistake dehydration for hunger. I drink 20oz of water before I swim and carry a water bottle with me then drink another 20 oz right after (literally chug it down ) Drink lots of water!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for 19 years now, and I agree with the above poster---watching what you eat is most important. There was a thread on here several months ago saying that swimming makes you hungrier--and I find that is true. You must really follow your calorie goal closely. That said, I love swimming and water aerobics and am very fit and toned for my age. Most of the others (of any age) that are at the pool are also. However, before joining MFP I was slowly gaining weight. Now, I've lost 20 lbs, and would like to lose another 10---I'm in no rush. As for pushing yourself, that depends on you, how you feel, and where you want to go. It's important to start, and later evaluate and change things around. Welcome and best of luck. :smile:
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    From September to December last year I lost 3 stone (19kg) after starting to swim, though I was also eating at a deficit most of the time.

I swam lengths of breaststroke for an hour 3 or 4 times a week (approximately 2km per swim).

After that I switched to running / biking and didn't lose anywhere near as much.

So yes, for me, swimming definitely worked for weight loss!
  • MrNilli
    MrNilli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After swimming, it is common to feel very hungry, I agree with the previous poster that you are most likely thirsty. If you continue to feel very hungry after having some water then drinking Low fat chocolate milk (6-8 ounces (8 ounces is 158 calories)) will help.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's common to feel hungry after swimming because you have been in cold water, not necessarily because of the calories burned. I personally burn about 600-800 calories an hour running, 400-500 calories an hour biking, and only about 200 calories an hour swimming.

But don't be discouraged, it can be very good exercise to start with and anything that you enjoy doing and gets you active is a win!

Lots of people who are training will jump in a shower or hot tub after swimming to warm back up and stave off the body's hunger response from the cold water.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I do most of my workouts in the pool for a couple of reasons, one it's much easier on the joints so no pain afterwards, plus I have a balance issue so hey if I fall in the pool I won't get hurt.

I do all sorts of stuff, I vary it often from, water jogging, water aerobics, laps and the list goes on... love working out in the pool! I don't have a hunger problem but then I do drink plenty of water before going (mim. of 32 oz. first thing in the morning) and while there I always have water with me and drink it and I have my lunch when I get done.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    60% nutrition 40% physical. If you're overweight, it's not about how much you eat, it's what you eat.
    Going to have to disagree with this. It's about calories in v. calories out. You can eat oreos all day long, but if you're still in a deficit, you will lose weight.

ETA: OP, you will lose weight while eating in a calorie deficit. Exercise is more for health, and only creates a bigger deficit.
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can absolutely lose weight while swimming. It's a great way to re-introduce fitness and exercise into your daily routine and helps you to become stronger. When starting out a few months ago, swimming was the only thing I could handle so I alternated laps, treading water and water walking to work different areas. There are great tools if you look up "water exercises" on the internet to help you figure out how to switch things up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You'll burn energy swimming, and most people run right out to pack it back in.

You'll lose weight by having your intake less than your output over a long standardized period.

You'll increase flexibility and cardiovascular endurance through swimming.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    heck yes swimming burns calories. do laps and keep moving at all times. I switch it up and float on my back and only use my legs to propel me the length of the pool then I do a regular lap the way back and so on. It is wonderful to start with while you are bigger. THis way you wont be putting so much force on your knees, hips, ankles, feet, back, etc. I started out this way and still do it. I also walk everyday now too. The people who say it doesn't burn that much calories aren't doing it right. Keep swimming my dear and eat at a deficit and you will be shrinking before you know it.
  • rstorjohann
    Options
    I have read some conflicting information about swimming, also, but after starting it I am already seeing changes. I am rather big myself, but after only a few weeks I've noticed that I am stronger and I've had a couple of other people notice weight loss in my face and stomach.

I've kind of just told myself that no matter what everyone is saying on the internet about cold water or eating too much after swimming because you're hungrier, the fact is that if you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. It doesn't matter if your deficit is from running or swimming or climbing trees...your body doesn't care! Calorie deficit = weight loss.

So, for me, this has meant really sticking to counting calories and eating things I know are lower in calories and higher in protein and fiber so I can be full. I am not going to sit here and say that has been easy, because it's not and I get tempted all the time, but I also get really motivated when I see a little change in myself or when someone asks if I've lost weight.

Bottom line: do what you like and don't worry about everyone else. Worry about your calorie burn vs intake and make sure the deficit is there and you WILL lose weight.
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Rstorjohann, Swimming is great. I started swimming daily a couple months ago. I actually aqua jog a minimum of 1 hour per day. Add in a little water Pilates at the end to stretch out. Two times a week I push myself a little longer I try to go between 1:15 to 1:30.

I have a water proof iPod from Waterfi a friend gave me. So I listen to my music and go. According to my fitbit, I jog between 4 and 5 KM per day.

I started using MFP two months ago. 1st month did not change any eating habits, and I lost 3KG, the second month, did not lower my calories from MFP suggestion and lost another 4KG. So down 7KG in 2 months just by going swimming an hour aday.

Now this month, I have tried to lower my calorie intake. So hopefully I may have lost a little more this month.

But besides losing weight, I feel better, I have physical issues from a auto accident. I can not jog or walk long distances. It is hard to lift weights, or do much exercise in a gym. Swimming releases the stress from your joints and body. And the resistance of your body in the water. The bigger you are the harder it is to displace the water for your body to move. Result more calorie burning.

Based on my BMI, I burn over 1,000 calories an hour aqua jogging. My Fitbit step calculator say a little less, but not that much. So I think it is pretty correct.

But I wish you all the success is what ever you choose. But Swimming was the thing for me. And if you love it, maybe it is the thing for you.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    In for swimming buddies / fellow water babies.

I adore swimming. I love being in water. It really is one of my favourite places to be.
    From September I will be joining a gym that has a small (14m) pool and plan on going 2-3 times a week. Now because it's such a small pool I am aware that my long distance swims will not be comparable to when I have access to a 25m pool, due to the length I push off, so I'm going to change it up. I tend to do things like:
    2 lengths as fast as I can (really gets me panting and therefore is good cardio)
    Lengths of just arms or just legs.
    Mixed with longer distance swims. (Some of which I won't push off the wall when I get to it).
    Variety is the spice of life. :)

My aim, learn how to do front crawl. :) I can do a mean breast stroke but I'd love to do a full length of front crawl with minimal splashing!
  • ShannoNamaste
    ShannoNamaste Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Swim Friends,
    It's good to be around people who believe swimming is for fitness. I have bad joints and needs to lose about 110 lbs. I absolutely love swimming and aqua aerobics. It has helped me along with diet to lose almost 25 lbs. All those naysayers can take their negativity and shove it up their bum! I'm hoping to make some swim friends here. Feel free to PM me. Have a terrific day all!!
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Yeah!! So I can eat 6000 calories of vegetables everyday and not gain weight!! That's totally how it works.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I swim outdoors so I always have a flask of hot tea or coffee for when I get out to help warm the core back up before the hunger gets too much.

Losing steadily at about 1lb per week. 30 - 45 minute swims in different ocean tempers from still waters to duck diving under five foot breakers.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit. The kind of exercise you do doesn't matter, just do something you enjoy.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Just getting ready for aquacise. :)
    I don't know what it is, but does anyone else notice how tight and flat their tummy feels after a good swim? I love stretching out in the pool and feeling slim. :) even if it's not replicated back on dry land ha :)