Bum knee exercises

Options
I'm looking for some news ideas and hoping you all can help me. I have problems with my knees (the kneecaps can slide out of place and get some bone-on-bone grinding). My doctor obviously said losing weight is important even though I have had this problem since high school before I was overweight. The doctor said no treadmills and absolutely no stairs for exercise (other than the ones in my house that are a necessity of my daily life). I love taking my nephew for walks when he visits, but need other ideas to start off slow. The only exercise the doctor gave me was the strengthen the muscles in my thigh to help hold the kneecap in place. Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    donut preacher curls
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee too. I have found that swimming is great exercise as it is low impact but it strengthens the legs.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Bike, swimming, elliptical.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think you should consult your doctor and ask him about ideas. I would also suggest for you to look up lifting weights which is known to strengthen your body but you have to go for it very carefully and consult your doctor. If lifting weights isn't an option, you can always just walk around some more.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get a consult from a physical therapist. I have chondromalacia in my right knee. The doctor offered "strengthen the leg muscles" but the physical therapist was the one who gave me the actual exercises. Both said to ride a bike for exercise... However, I can not as my knee will grind and eventually lock. So, get some strengthening exercises from them, work on at them and go back for more advice if you find, like I did, that some are not working for you.
  • judgeczarina
    Options
    Thank you all!