Fruit smoothie solidifying...

Options
Has anyone had experience with this?

I made a smoothie this morning using 1 cup of milk, 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, and a scoop of a protien shake mix. After blending it I put it in my travel mug and by the time I got to work it had the consistancy of yogurt or pudding ... not a smoothie. So I'm currently eating my smoothie instead of drinking it.

Could this be due to the natural pectin in the fruits?

Replies

• namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the dairy? I can't say I have had that happen with just milk but I have had it happen with yogurt but I usually use almond milk in mine and have't ever had that happen with just the almond milk so I suspect the dairy component.
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've never had it solidify before. Maybe it's because I blended it extra long this morning?
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit or frozen? Usually my smoothies will melt if I wait that long to eat it because I use frozen fruit so it thaws if I leave it out. Did you do anything differently than how you've made smoothies before (if you have)?
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit.

The only thing different I did was blend it for about 5 extra minutes because I was gathering food for my lunch & snacks. So about 10-15 minutes of total blending this morning.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Weird. I have no idea
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One word: Blueberries.

I tried to make a smoothie by blending blueberries and raw milk, and it turned into a jelly. I'll tell ya, that was freaking WEIRD.

The fruit has natural pectin which will set up. The protein powder may have thickened it somewhat as well.
  • Dimedove
    Dimedove Posts: 1
    Options
    It is the blueberries! Same thing happened to me. Blueberries almond milk and almonds were in mine. Completely solid now
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The time I blended my smoothie more than normal it made it too much of an airy/whipped texture that I didn't like. I like to be able to crunch on very very tiny grains of ice. It could have been a result of blending for too long.

...reading other comments, the smoothie I made also had blueberries in it...that may be the culprit.
  • jkolbe94
    jkolbe94 Posts: 23
    Options
    This happened to me as well. Mine is densely packed with blueberries and cherries and was almost a jelly consistency this morning because I let it sit in the fridge overnight.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually throw in chia seeds so it is more of a pudding than a shake. I actually like it better and find it more satisfying.