Restarting workout and diet after 2 pound gain

Options
I hope this is the correct board to post on, i am going to try to revamp my diet. I have been working out for over a month and had been doing good lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks which i know isn't terrible. This morning i get up to weigh and i had gained 2 pounds since last Monday, which in my eyes just doesn't seem legit. I try to stick to my 1600 calories a day intake and exercise daily walking at least 2-3 miles a day. On Saturday i walked a total of 10 miles and then Sunday i did another 2 and woke up and gained, I do tend to cheat on the weekends, but by cheat i mean i will go to McDonald or another fast food place and get a salad and maybe a small cheeseburger but that could be where the problem lies. I do not have anything in my food diary right now since i am restarting this so i know there isnt much that could be said by what i am eating, but any words of help or advice is great. My husband thinks im not getting enough calories a day typical day is 2 frozen waffles (190 cal) with sugar free syrup (15-20cal) 2 snacks during the day of (220 cal total) lunch healthy choice (320-340) and dinner is either fish or chicken with lots of veggies also have my desert which depending on what ice cream bars i get range from 70 calories to 160 so im at a loss. Not sure if eating to much veggies could hurt or if its these weekends that i will cheat on. Also when i walk i use map my walk and also my sportsline s7 watch the calories are usually pretty different so i split down the middle so i burned anywhere from 300-600 depending on how long and how hard i walk.

Replies

• stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    have you set your profile for MFP? if you put in how much you weigh now, height, etc. it will tell you how many calories you should be shooting for a day. it sounds like you *may* be eating too few calories... but the best way to find out is to log your meals and snacks and drinks every day for a few days.

this is a great thread to read when you're getting started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • krislady
    krislady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find that at (ahem) "certain times of the month" I gain weight no matter what I do (or don't do).
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    a two pound variation is nothing. It could be the added sodium from McDonalds. It could be the time of the month coming. It could be the time you weighed yourself (If I weigh myself at different times of the day, I weight more later in the day = and by more than 2 pounds)

Our bodies are fickle - and a 2 lb fluctuation is really nothing.

I would wait and see what happens before making drastic changes.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You will never really know why you gain weight if you aren't tracking your food. By that I mean measuring and weighing, and logging. You may be overestimating your calorie burns and underestimating what you are eating. Terms like "lots of vegetables" indicate to me you aren't tracking. Having said that, a 2 pound gain could easily be water weight. But I'd tighten up my tracking to make sure. If you don't have a food scale, I would get one. Good luck with your goals!
  • johnseitz
    Options
    here's a suggestion...get rid of the frozen waffles for breakfast and opt for egg whites. 2-3 strips of turkey bacon for flavor. and 1 scoop of whey protein with water as soon as you get up...drink the protein shake 45 min before you eat breakfast...that's what I do and it seems to work...breakfast is the most important meal after all....
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry... 'gaining' 2lb in a week probably isn't a real gain. It's likely water or (crass alert) gas or poop, keep going with your plan, it sounds like a good one workout wise. Food wise I would recommend more veg and more protein - retaining muscle while losing weight is one of the best ways to look awesome at the end. You may want to make sure you're hitting at least 25% protein (you can change this in your goals). Loss is a marathon not a sprint etc.
  • nikhoff86
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!!! The only other thing im worried about the the calories burned when exercising like i said im getting 2 different calories burned between my app and my fitness watch so im not sure which one to go with on that. I am worried that i am either not eating enough (when i do track calories lol) or it is the sodium that is getting me, i can look at a thing of salt and swear gain 10 pounds lol

Example-map my walk said 698 calories burned for 4.07 walk 1hour total, my fitness watch that only does by age and gender monitoring heart rate put it at 829 calories so im really iffy on how many calories im burning also
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    drink extra water with lemon and get back to your routine…it is water weight…
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    2-3 strips of turkey bacon for flavor.
    Or 2-3 strips of pig bacon for real flavor.

Two pounds is just typical fluctuation, unless you ate 7000 calories over maintenance.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!!! The only other thing im worried about the the calories burned when exercising like i said im getting 2 different calories burned between my app and my fitness watch so im not sure which one to go with on that. I am worried that i am either not eating enough (when i do track calories lol) or it is the sodium that is getting me, i can look at a thing of salt and swear gain 10 pounds lol

Example-map my walk said 698 calories burned for 4.07 walk 1hour total, my fitness watch that only does by age and gender monitoring heart rate put it at 829 calories so im really iffy on how many calories im burning also

You could try averaging the number between the two, going with the lower number, etc. Ultimately, the best way to find out which number to use is by being patient and seeing how you are after ~6 weeks. Everything takes time to see results.

As for the 2 lb weight gain--yup, totally retention. Unless you were eating somewhere around 3500 calories over your maintenance, you probably didn't gain two pounds of fat (or muscle, or anything else outside of glycogen/water). I fluctuate 2 lbs pretty regularly, even going up after days I've eaten light (but then dropping that water after days eating more).
  • nikhoff86
    Options
    Thank you all again :) very impatient person and I know with weight loss you cant be, i will try to docket everything and just take my time with it!!