New to strength training

Options
So I'm hearing everywhere that adding cardio and strength training to a healthy diet is the way to go for weight loss, as well as general health. This might sound sort of stupid, but what kind of strength training is recommended for an adult female, so as not to get too muscley but to just be a bit more toned, particularly in the stomach and arms? Sorry if this is a bit vague. I'm a bit ignorant and don't really see the point in strength training aside from if you want to bulk up, but it seems to be important enough for everyone? Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance.

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Promise to be gentle please dont take offence.

Strength training has absolutly nothing to do with getting "bulky". If you were to get bulky from lifitng by accident you would be a medical miracle. Women and men dedicate YEARS of their life to getting bulky.

Getting strong is a very different thing. From a weightloss point of view a comprehensive compound lift programme like Stronglifts or Starting strength (google them) will enhance your calorie burn during and after. It also encourages the body to maintain the muscle you have and not consume it for its energy content which is a risk on diet alone.

"Tone" is the illusion of less fat over existing muscle. Loose the fat get your tone.

The long and short is - Exercise is good, a variety of exercise will maximise the benefits to you are already getting from diet plus the added health benefits anyone gets from having a more healthy. Strength training is just that Strength... the difference between opening that pickle jar or not the difference between moving that piece of furniture yourself or having to get someone else to do it for you.

Strong is good...
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Promise to be gentle please dont take offence.

Strength training has absolutly nothing to do with getting "bulky". If you were to get bulky from lifitng by accident you would be a medical miracle. Women and men dedicate YEARS of their life to getting bulky.

Getting strong is a very different thing. From a weightloss point of view a comprehensive compound lift programme like Stronglifts or Starting strength (google them) will enhance your calorie burn during and after. It also encourages the body to maintain the muscle you have and not consume it for its energy content which is a risk on diet alone.

"Tone" is the illusion of less fat over existing muscle. Loose the fat get your tone.

The long and short is - Exercise is good, a variety of exercise will maximise the benefits to you are already getting from diet plus the added health benefits anyone gets from having a more healthy. Strength training is just that Strength... the difference between opening that pickle jar or not the difference between moving that piece of furniture yourself or having to get someone else to do it for you.

Strong is good...

Yup.

OP - It is totally understandable why you would believe the women get bulky thing. The media propagates the myth that lifting heavy weights is bad for women and desireable for men. I used to believe that too. But I've learned I love to lift weights and so does my body.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this - I'm heading out for my 3rd lifting session in a few hours.

All I can say at the moment is that I love it so far. I feel good when I finish the session - the endorpin hit is pretty incredible. The DOMS after the first session wasn't so great - but the soreness after the second session was nowhere near the same.

Hopefully I'll be back on here celebrating the difference it's making / made soon enough :)