Calorie count for pizza?

I recently reassessed my calorie amount I have been using for a slice of pizza. I have been using 175 plain 10 inch size slice. Otherwise known as a regular slice. Yet a friend said he doubted that was correct- so I looked again and mpf is all over the place 150- almost 600 cal per plain slice. How do I know what is real?

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Look on the box or look up the restuarant online and see if they have the cals per slice listed if not go to a similar place.

ie pizza express is similar to zizzis but I wouldn't compare either to Dominos :smile:
  • ssbmacdaddy
    ssbmacdaddy Posts: 124 Member
    This made me doubt my calorie log. How do I know if mpf is correct. The box of purchased goods is the only way to compare. Maybe this incorrect calorie issue is to blame for my current weight loss plateau? Does this mean weight watchers is better?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well most pizzas are 14 inches and about 300 calorie a slice for a plain cheese pizza.

WW won't make any difference, you still won't know how many points a slice is unless you find the nutrition info. MFP has their own entries for basic stuff, and those are correct, otherwise it's entered by users and you have to find an average.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    If it's a store-bought pizza you're cooking at home, look at the nutritional info at the side of the box. Enter it into the mfp database if it's not already there, and use that. If it's from a larger chain, their website should have nutritional info. If it's from a small pizzeria try to compare it to a similar type of pizza from another source which does have nutritional info available.

The idea that one slice of pizza can have a standardized calorific value is insane. A regular slice of pizza express thin crust with a lot of vegetation, not much cheese and no meat will have half the calories of a regular slice of deep pan mighty meaty from dominos.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    This made me doubt my calorie log. How do I know if mpf is correct. The box of purchased goods is the only way to compare. Maybe this incorrect calorie issue is to blame for my current weight loss plateau? Does this mean weight watchers is better?

One of the great things about MFP is that anyone can contribute foods/calorie counts to the database! And...one of the crappy things is that anyone can contribute foods/calorie counts to the database. Unfortunately there are some bad, inaccurate foods in the database that can't be trusted. Your best bet is to try to find out the correct calorie amount and add it to the database yourself!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Weight watchers does the same thing for pizza -- you are expected to have the nutritional information.
    And pizza does vary. Thin crust, regular crust., . . . Cheese or cheese and meat, . . . 16 inch, 10 inch, . . .
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member

I don't know if it's to blame for your plateau or not - i don't know if this is just a pizza related issue. And MFP probably is correct for the person who entered in the information to begin with. There are slices that are 200 cals and ones that are 600.

But you should probably take a little more responsibility for knowing how much is in the specific slice from your preferred pizzeria as far as the "incorrect calorie" issue.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    A Chicargo Town pepperoni takeaway pizza (for home cooking) is 1800 for the full pizza!. A quarter (on decent slice) is 450 calories.

Wish I hadn't read the box now..
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I don't understand how weight watchers is better in this situation either... Whether you're logging here or with them, you still need to have some sort of idea of the nutritonal info for a food in order to figure out calories or points.

You could be underestimating but I don't think you're off by much assuming it's nothing too fancy. But you're right, depending on how much you're off, it could be cancelling out your deficit. Try logging with more like 230 cal per slice and see if that helps.

I say this based on what I get for my Domino's pizza. It's a medium (12") with green pepper and mushroom on hand tossed crust with 8 slices, about 190 cal per slice. Assuming yours is similar, that'd be just over 200 cal per slice, I think (assuming as a 10" it has 6 slices rather than 8).

If you want to know for sure, you're going to have to go with a few different options. Make you're own so you can control ingredients, etc. Buy frozen pizza so you can go by calories, etc on the label. Get pizza from a company that provides nutrtional information. Otherwise, the best you can do is keep guesstimating and hope for the best.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    A Chicargo Town pepperoni takeaway pizza (for home cooking) is 1800 for the full pizza!. A quarter (on decent slice) is 450 calories.

Wish I hadn't read the box now..

This was me at the weekend - I've been good - I had a few calories in the bag - and I decided I was going to eat pizza to use them up.

Until I got to the supermarket. And I read the nutritional values. I decided that while I like pizza I don't like it enought to take the hit. I might make a different decision another day - but at least I'll know what I'm deciding to do now!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah yesterday we went to help some family (well, hubby helped and I had to entertain the kids), and the only food they had for lunch was pizza. I like pizza, but it's twice in a month that it's the only option and it just makes me incredibly grumpy to have to waste calories on something like that when I don't even want it (I made homemade pizza on Saturday too...) - but I was starving, so I ended up eating too much of it. Bleh.

Typically I compare the pizza to the chain pizza I'm used to eating and use those calories, but it's always a total guess pretty much.
  • ssbmacdaddy
    ssbmacdaddy Posts: 124 Member
    I like the 300 cal number will likely go with that. When you say 10 inch you refer to the slice not the entire pizza right ?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    When in doubt I always use the highest number, BUT most chains have nutritional information on their site so you can manually enter.