WANTED: Low Sodium Recipes

Options
cjc123
cjc123 Posts: 10 Member
I'm on the heart transplant list and have to watch my sodium intake VERY carefully. I'm also trying to drop 15-20 lbs more. I started at 236 on Thanksgiving, was in the hospital and went down to 215 (all fluid). Since the middle of December I have dropped another 14 lbs and am now at 201.

My problem is really salad dressings. I can't use any commercially available ones nor can I use any dry package mixes. I'm getting tired of the oil, vinegar or lemon juice types. Does anyone have any recipes for a creamy dressing with very low sodium?

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Craig

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    For a creamy dressing, you could use greek yogurt and milk mixed together.

1 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Might be a little thinner than a regular ranch, but its super yummy, very low cal and fat free if you use skim milk and 0% yogurt!
  • cjc123
    Options
    Sounds good. I'm going to try it tonight. Thanks a million!
  • kanakike8
    kanakike8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did something very similar but it was more like a Caesar dressing (obviously you'll want to omit the anchovies and parmesan cheese):

1 cup 0% Greek yogurt (Fage or Trader Joe's)
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 cup of white vinegar
    1/8 cup of FRESH lemon juice
    1 tsp of fresh cracked pepper
    2-3 anchovies (depending on your salt-level preference)
    1/2 cup grape seed oil (commonly used in salad dressings)
    (optional: for Greek yogurt beginners, add in 1-2 tbs of low fat/reduced fat mayonnaise)

All ingredients can be blended together at once. But, for a smoother, thicker and creamier texture, add the grape seed oil in slowly, a little bit at a time. Once done, put in a glass jar. This is a really easy dressing to make ahead of time; keeps in your fridge for one week.

from: http://mananyacooks.posterous.com/mananya-cooks-creamy-caesar-salad-dressing-wi
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Np! Just make sure to mix it up a few hours before you want to eat it so the flavors can combine!
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and I hope you are able to receive a new heart and live a happy and healthy life!

Salad dressings, you can try adding a little balsamic vinegar, or even some plain greek yogurt with some spices (oregano, dill, pepper, whatever)

2 recipes I've tried over the past 2 days are very low sodium (I think so at least), and made in the slow cooker, so they're super simple!

Beef Stroganoff

1lb roast, cut into cubes
    2T flour
    1 medium onion, diced
    6oz sliced mushrooms
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Toss the beef in the flour add to a 4qt slow cooker, add onion, mushrooms, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in sour cream, then serve.

Makes about 4 servings and each serving had 218mg of sodium. (I served this over egg noodles too)

Balsamic Chicken

2 chicken breasts (1/2lb each) cut into 4 strips each
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1T dried oregano (2T fresh)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    5oz baby spinach

Add chicken, balsamic vinegar, parsley, oregano, garlic and pepper to slow cooker, stir to coat. Cook on low for 6 hours. Add baby spinach, stir, cook another 15 minutes or until spinach wilts.

Makes 2 servings with sodium being 138mg per serving. (I served this one over white rice)

Good luck, and happy & healthy living!
  • dlaizure
    dlaizure Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The New American Heart Association Cookbook is the best. It has a red cover and can by found for under $20 just about anywhere. I use because of my husband's heart but love it because the recipes are delicious. It's hands down my favorite cookbook. Give it a try.
  • cjc123
    Options
    I'm working on a recipe now and will add it when I get it "right".
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com has amazing recipes for any specific need you may have. I know they definitely have low sodium recipes. I use their site weekly every recipe is delicious! just search low sodium on their site and I am sure you will find anything you need. Good Luck!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple of recipes that might be suitable for you.

Tangy Buttermilk Dressing
    1 c. buttermilk
    1 tbsp. minced onion
    1 tbsp. minced celery
    2 tsp. chopped chives
    1 tbsp. chili sauce
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tbsp. wine vinegar

Combine ingredients, mix well, refrigerate overnight.

Poppy Seed Dressing
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon poppy seeds
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

Combine until sugar dissolves.