Need Quick Advice! Is it Rude.....

Options
Hello All!
My 2 colleagues and I have a meeting with a hotel this afternoon and they are taking us out to lunch.. Is it rude to go with them but only order a side item or a drink?
I pack my lunch everyday and I am trying to be good and I really don't want to throw anything off by going to a restaurant for lunch. My birthday is at the end of the month and I have a goal to reach! :wink:

Any help/advice would be appreciated..
Thank you!!

Replies

• eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be a problem with a side salad or something. I probably wouldn't get ONLY a drink, it tends to draw attention, in my case anyway. But you have to do whatever makes you feel happiest. So you can always get the drink and explain why.

Good luck!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'd be rude... I mean, why would someone get offended over what you eat???

Just don't make a big deal about it (or complain that nothing is "healthy", especially if it's the hotel restaurant you're eating at! lol!)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    My 2 colleagues and I have a meeting with a hotel this afternoon and they are taking us out to lunch.. Is it rude to go with them but only order a side item or a drink?
    I pack my lunch everyday and I am trying to be good and I really don't want to throw anything off by going to a restaurant for lunch. My birthday is at the end of the month and I have a goal to reach! :wink:

Any help/advice would be appreciated..
    Thank you!!

Unless they have a force feeding fetish they won't mind if you don't order a main dish. Eat whatever you want. It would be rude to bring your own food but ordering anything off the menu is your choice.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all. I think you should order what you want.

I don't think anyone should be shamed into eating.

My opinion is to just do whatever you feel comfortable with, but nobody can tell you to eat...or not :) good luck.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It helps me to look at the menu before leaving, and see if I can work in a meal into my goal for the day. Maybe see if you can find it online (urbanspoon, yelp, restaurant website) and see if you can find something that works for you. You might be able to find a salad or a sandwich without the bread/bun for the same calories as a side and a drink.

If it's a prospective client, I wouldn't do anything that would possibly distract from the business, including announcing a diet or making a really weird food order.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I face this problem all the time with by going out with clients. For the longest time I felt pressured to eat like they do, but now I simply order a salad with a protein or steamed veggies and steamed chicken and not worry about what they think. There will always be a comment like "oh you have to treat yourself" or "you're already skinny you don't need to diet". I simply reply, that "I am treating myself to a long and healthy life."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's no one's business what you eat. I'm a vegetarian and often the only things on the menu I CAN eat are sides.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be a problem with a side salad or something. I probably wouldn't get ONLY a drink, it tends to draw attention, in my case anyway. But you have to do whatever makes you feel happiest. So you can always get the drink and explain why.

Good luck!

I agree with this. I'd get a side item, although for me personally it probably wouldn't be a salad...I would be more likely to get water or tea and something a little bit indulgent like a stuffed mushroom app so I could be like, "Oh wow the mushrooms sound amazing" and then make THAT my lunch.

Do whatever works for you. I do think the act of eating communally is sort of a social "must" but if it will really mess up your plans then just get a drink!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It is not at all rude. Keep up the good work and dedication.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If they are paying for it, order something healthy and only eat a small amount. If you had grilled salmon, vegetable and sauce on the side that would be low cal but a normal sounding lunch order.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    not rude at all! Just do your thing and not say anything, don't make it a big deal!
    If you make it a big deal and they are 'treating' themselves it might be a little offensive to them 'cause they don't want to have to hear how healthy you are haha and it might make them feel guilty and be awkward.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the salad option, too. I'm pretty sure something like a garden salad with grilled chicken on top, dressing on the side (or light on the dressing) wouldn't even get a second thought from anybody. That's a very normal, common "light fare" lunch option.

To keep it less "picky" looking (if you are concerned), don't special request "exactly" what you don't or do want on it, just nicely eat around it. No shame in that. Oh, and if it's the hosts' restaurant, make sure to compliment them on your lunch! Enjoy!

ETA: Oh, OP, you eat vegetarian. Nix the chicken suggestion. But for anybody lurking, that's my personal suggestion.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Many places also have 'lunch' sized options- I often find a good salad in a normal portion satisfies me
  • jsnodgrass28
    Options
    I've run into this situation going out with clients. I think you should aim to find something you can eat...lean meat, a salad...order a burger but don't the bun...something like that. You need to eat lunch anyway right? I don't know that it's necessarily rude, but I feel like it does create an awkward situation if you are the only one not eating. I think in situations like that, you have to just do the best you can and don't beat yourself up if you have one meal that's not exactly on plan.
  • Jaffsa
    Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's no one's business what you eat. I'm a vegetarian and often the only things on the menu I CAN eat are sides.

Yes! I'm also a vegetarian so its definitely difficult sometimes. However, in that case, it works to my advantage when side items are my only option. :)
    Thank you for you reply!
  • skmcewan
    skmcewan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have often been in this situation...friends invite me out for dinner and then criticise my choices (or lack therof) of food. I try to tell them that I'm not just "on a diet" but making a completely different lifestyle choice. I do not think it is rude in any way.

It's almost like they're trying to get you back on drugs...don't let peer pressure throw off your game. People who get mad about what you put into your own body are just jealous that they don't have the willpower/determination that you do to make such a change.

It's weird how your friends can start to turn on you in situations like these. Anyway, in my experience, order what you want and don't feel obligated to explain yourself. You eat what makes your body feel good and your body will take care of you. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's only rude if you start talking about what they choose to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes! I'm also a vegetarian so its definitely difficult sometimes. However, in that case, it works to my advantage when side items are my only option. :)
    Thank you for you reply!
    I also think it's OK to just say you aren't that hungry. I highly doubt anyone will really notice or care as long as you don't bring attention to it.
  • LinziT123
    LinziT123 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    nah i dont think its rude at all!! another thing you could do is maybe is order a half portion of a main meal and bulk it up with salad or maybe have a veggie soup?

whatever you do, enjoy your meal and good luck with reaching your goal!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I agree with the person who said they look up the restaurant before hand, if you know what one you will be going to. This is life, so you make the best with the situation you've been given. I'm sure you can find a satisfying side item or even an entree that could fit into your goals.