help with some strength exercises

denisec26
denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Wed 01/19/11 05:23 AMi do alot of cardio and im looking to add a lil strength in to my workouts. nothing huge. maybe 5-10 min worth.
mostly arms.
i have 3 pound hand weights but thats it, and i will be doing this at home.

so far all i have is bicep curls and pushups

but i dont know how many times you do it in each rep, or how many reps.

anyone else have a few other things i can do?

Replies

• Maybe start out doing 3 sets of 10 reps and then as you go along increase the sets and reps.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Tricep kick backs
    lateral arm raises and side arm raises to work your deltoids
    fly's (lay on the floor arms out stretched but slightly bent)
    there are several different forms of curls you can do
    shoulder presses
  • Jbonar
    Jbonar Posts: 29 Member
    Here are a few: Tricep dips off a kitchen chair, overhead press and/or lateral raises for the shoulders, lay on the floor or an aerobic step and do chest flys. This link shows those and a few others.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/bltotalworkout.htm
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    im looking to add a lil strength in to my workouts. nothing huge. maybe 5-10 min worth.
    mostly arms.
    i have 3 pound hand weights but thats it, and i will be doing this at home.

so far all i have is bicep curls and pushups

but i dont know how many times you do it in each rep, or how many reps.

anyone else have a few other things i can do?

Depending upon your current fitness level, you're likely going to have to pick up heavier weights to use. But until then, you can make the most of them with a couple of exercises.

Try lateral dumbbell raises, where you stand (always keep a slight bend in your knees and contract your abs), and keeping your wrists neutral, raise the dumbbells out from the sides of your body (down position) to shoulder height. To make this effective with three pound weights, do it slowly and never let the bottom position be "resting" (that is, keep them a few inches from your body so even the "down position" is still work! Do a count of three seconds going up, hold at the top for one full second, do a count of three moving down, do a one second hold in the down (working!) position and repeat. Since the weight is probably a bit light (depending upon your fitness and physical abilities), you may need to do more than the desired 8 or 10 reps where the last rep is HARD to do correctly. But if you do this slowly and controlled, you'll find that even a three pound weight will effect a burn in those shoulder muscles.

Do the same out to the front, raising the dumbbells to shoulder height in front of you. Same method and timing.

Do reverse curls too (like a bicep curl only with your palms facing down) and go from the down (not resting but a few inches from your body in a working position) position to just horizontal ... same timing to make it more difficult.

You can also do some Arnold Dumbbell Presses ... standing with the dumbbells at shoulder level (elbows bent and hands facing in toward your body) and then push/press them UP above your head/shoulders (never straightening your elbows completely ... keep working!!!) rotating your hands so in the upright position, your hands are facing out, away from your body. Repeat. Same timing to make it more difficult.

If these descriptions confuse you, google 'em and you will find illustrations/pictures of how to do to them. Even with 3 pound weights, if you do these slowly with correct form, you'll feel it! I promise!!!

Once you get bigger weights, things will change. If you're healthy and your doc allows you to push yourself, use the weight that will make rep 8, 9, or 10 very difficult to do. And then do three sets. That'll help! :)
This discussion has been closed.